Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed. 7 goals reasonable return, should of course be a few more but even so only the following have scored more then him this season:

Salah, Son, Kane, Fernandes, Vardy, DCL, Bamford, Wilson, Zaha, Rashford, Ings above him.

Given people want a proven PL striker; which one of them should it have been?

Interestingly Watkins is on 225 mins per goal vs 175 for our Neal. Forgetting the fact of course half of Watkins total goal tally came in 1 game vs Liverpool in a game never to be repeated.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The way he drifted wide for the goal build up so Atkins had to either go on the wing and be out of the play or move inside and give Maupay space - it was such clever football. So well done.

They had a 12th player named Atkins? Makes the win even better.

Jimmy Grimble

Why did he not lay the ball off when he had the chance tonight?

He was very good tonight apart from in the box. Incredibly frustrating with his decision making at vital moments.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

He was very good tonight apart from in the box. Incredibly frustrating with his decision making at vital moments.

Needs to improve his decision making. Frequently tries to shoot through 3 or 4 defenders when there is an unmarked man in space (Burn at Liverpool was criminal) but also examples of passing when he should take a shot.

Really surprised we have not seen improvement over the season. Take away his pen's and his numbers say it all really...... fast thinking he is CMS in disguise

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

That had me shouting at the TV! Lallana had a sitter, so frustrating.

I like Maupay and he does do a good job for us - works so hard, does so much for the team, pressing and creates space for others but as a post above says, his decision making, and his touch actually, in the box let him down too often.

I think like we’ve done with other positions in the team like GK, RWB/RB, and CM, for us to move on to another level, we do need to upgrade him.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good Premier League striker. Exceptional? No, either he needs to improve (quite likely, still young) or someone will at some point take the job from him, its pretty simple.

But currently he is the best striker in the squad if you ask me. Bit of margin as well. Connolly got a few very nice attributes but is still very young and not yet well-rounded in his play. Welbeck is a decent player, he's a 6 out of 10 in pretty much every department but fecking far from the bags of praise he got in his first months. Zeqiri looks promising but very unpolished. Tau... remains to be seen, but from what he has shown so far I dont really see any indications that he would be an upgrade on Maupay.

Maupay is the best option for this season. Like pretty much everyone, I hope a good, tall, strong yet technical and pacy striker can be recruited in the summer but they dont really grow on trees, there's better and richer clubs out there needing/wanting the exact same player. A strike force of Mr X, Maupay and Connolly would be nice for next season. Dont need a fourth one as long as Mr X is able to play as a lone striker or some winger / attacking midfielder (Trossard) could fill in on occasion.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Good Premier League striker. Exceptional? No, either he needs to improve (quite likely, still young) or someone will at some point take the job from him, its pretty simple.

But currently he is the best striker in the squad if you ask me. Bit of margin as well. Connolly got a few very nice attributes but is still very young and not yet well-rounded in his play. Welbeck is a decent player, he's a 6 out of 10 in pretty much every department but fecking far from the bags of praise he got in his first months. Zeqiri looks promising but very unpolished. Tau... remains to be seen, but from what he has shown so far I dont really see any indications that he would be an upgrade on Maupay.

Maupay is the best option for this season. Like pretty much everyone, I hope a good, tall, strong yet technical and pacy striker can be recruited in the summer but they dont really grow on trees, there's better and richer clubs out there needing/wanting the exact same player. A strike force of Mr X, Maupay and Connolly would be nice for next season. Dont need a fourth one as long as Mr X is able to play as a lone striker or some winger / attacking midfielder (Trossard) could fill in on occasion.

[emoji106]spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He misses too many chances.
If we want to go to the next level, or even stay on this level , we need better.
Same goes for all our strikers.
Simple as that really.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Game of opinions.

For me Welbeck and Trossard are better options for the forward positions than Maupay.

Then we hope that one of Zeqiri / Tau / Connolly develops to first team standard. We can't really expect the club to spend vast money at this time.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I think we should give Welbeck the chance to have a couple run of games.

It's pointless (no pun) bringing Welbeck on in the 80th min and expecting a miracle from him, when it's been clear that we've needed the change since the 60th min.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Maupay has a problem common to many strikers on a bad run. They are desparate to score so the shoot when a pass may be a better option. I imagine GP is already telling Maupay to try and relax a bit and look for the options around him if the shot is not obvious. But its tricky because in someways you want a striker to be a bit selfish. It could be worth trying him alongside Welbeck to see if he learns from him. Or, reverse what we do now and start Welbeck and use Maupay as impact sub (but b4 80th min.)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Maupay has a problem common to many strikers on a bad run. They are desparate to score so the shoot when a pass may be a better option.

Kane is the best example of having the best of both worlds.

Supreme enough in his shooting to be confident he’ll put most chances away but also very unselfish and willing to drop deep and assist others (11 times this season).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
MacA had the best chance last night...should have buried it..and he knows it....Maupay worked hard for the team..and yes I think there was one where it would have been the better option to have passed....a one nil win and it wouldn’t have been a discussion

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Maupay divides opinion but I still like him as a player , as a CB I'd hate to play against him but his default mindset is to score himself no matter what the situation, nowt wrong with that if he's banging in 20 a season but he's not , and at this level I doubt he ever will .

He gets through a lot of work and that's commendable but it's not quite enough to warrant the main man up front .

There's no argument he's a good player but the difference between good and fantastic in this league is a huge jump in class .

The service he gets is right up there in the league for chances created so the stats back up his own abilities to date .

If we do find that quality 20 a year striker then Maupay would still be worth having around as he will always chip in with 10 a season , 10 a season sees us where we are in the league .

At the moment he is our main man , perhaps that player who we desperately need will make Maupay even hungrier and he improves which is quite possible, , Maupay isn't one for the bin but isn't the answer to our lack of goals either .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here