Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] NSC discussed now on radio 5 live

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Dunk has not been the same since his partner departed to Scotland,which has not worked out for him either

He has done very well last couple of games..... or more. Plenty of comments on here about him being back to his best.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I’d still like to see our players set themselves to shoot first time more often once inside the box. Simply because I don’t think superbly worked goals like yesterday’s come off very often unless you’re Man City. They often seem to receive the ball in a way that suggests their first thought is to lay it off.

But do I like what Potter’s trying to do and our medium to long term potential? Yes, very much.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's so common whenever any pundits are talking about BHAFC they spout rubbish that isn't at all accurate

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Referred to our thread on here that breaks down our performance under Potter. Apparently we conceded very few chances to the opposition but we have one of the worst records for conceding when the opposition do have a chance. Which explains the introduction of Sanchez. Also that we are....unlucky. One pundit suggested we need to hoof it more :facepalm: Better comment - we lack a cutting edge; missing Muzza....need devilment at the front that can cause chaos for defences....in other words....we need a decent striker.

For some reason the "enlightened dad" in this Man Alive documentary from 1969 has remained in my subconscious which your post immediately rewakened...

Screenshot_2021-01-17-22-20-51.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episo...ts-the-truth-about-hells-angels-and-skinheads

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
He has always wound me up as a pundit. I think he is full of shit. It used to be rubbish about England and now it’s nonsense about us. I think he also said ‘stats don’t mean anything’ in that same piece. That philosophy couldn’t be more opposite to the way our Chairman is the trying to run the club.

He's one of the better analysts out there. And he's not paying any attention to the likes of you.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Waddle was wrong both in his claim that we don't shoot, we are 7th in the league for shots per game: http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots, and in suggesting our goals come from counter attacks, and set piece goals from big men. We are near the bottom of the table on both of these metrics: https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...amStatistics/England-Premier-League-2020-2021. I kind of understand where Waddle gets the impression from. I think that our conversion rate is low because we take too long in trying to find the opportunity and often end up shooting in crowded spaces as a result.

My original post was made in annoyance of lazy punditry that doesn't research, but instead relies on fallacious received wisdom and the subjective impression of the viewer. I would hazard a guess that a lot of ex pro pundits think that their job lasts for the length of time that they are on air and that many do little reading or research during the rest of the week. Its a view I first formed when listening to the likes of David Pleat and Trevor Francis continuing to mispronounce overseas players' names game after game, year after year. How much effort does it take to learn how to pronounce someone's name? The answer is slightly more effort than many well paid football pundits are willing to put into their jobs.

Michael Lewis in 'Moneyball' describes really well how the insider culture in sport can lead to false assumptions and hive mind opinion forming. He's talking about scouting, but its far worse in pundits, most of whom are never put in the position of having their lazy opinions tested.

I've heard that Shearer was told to do some research if he wanted to keep earning big bucks on BBC after remarking on screen that a particular team was one that "we don't know very much about." It was put to his agent in no uncertain terms that he was being paid more than enough to find out about them and tell the viewers. The Athletic don't seem to pay him enough to have interesting opinions through.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Graham Potter now being interviewed live on 5 Live by Mark Chapman ahead of the Villa game.

He just asked GPott about [MENTION=22849]Stato[/MENTION]'s NSC thread I emailed to him (Chapman) a few weeks ago. Again :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here