Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion v Spurs u23s

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Furlong is probably having best season at Albion to date, no real injuries this season, I just feel the Sturge is a great prospect, hopefully you will get to see him play soon.

I take your point that this is his first season with the u23 (other than 1 game last year incidentally in that 4-1 win against spurs that you mentioned) and is still only 18, odd that pl2 haven't followed suit with increased number of subs which has probably contributed to his reasonably low number of squad appearances. Equally delighted with the number of minutes Sturge is getting though.

Could I ask who would you say in your opinion are the players with the most potential in the u18s per position (GK, FB, CB, DM, AM, W, ST)?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyway's my thoughts here are that having a 37 year old playing academy football, is simply blocking a youngsters pathway!

Although that is a logical response, it can actually help as well, from a talking and encouragement perspective. I certainly wouldn’t dismiss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A first appearance in the U-23s for goalkeeper Tom McGill (just recalled from his loan at Crawley Town) for almost exactly a year.

Young England midfielder Toby Collyer (still a 1st-year scholar) makes his first start (and appearance) in Premier League 2 and there is a place on the bench for newly-signed U-16 Evan Ferguson, the striker from Bohemians.

Where is young Collyer from AZ? Is he a Brighton lad and if so, do you happen to know which school he went to?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Where is young Collyer from AZ? Is he a Brighton lad and if so, do you happen to know which school he went to?

Ignore me AZ, found the answer, inevitably from one of your posts:

Toby Collyer: Born in Worthing

Collyer has been in the Albion youth system since before he was 10. The Sussex lad developed through the age ranks and had his first involvement with the U-18 squad when he appeared as a substitute against Norwich City in February 2019 during his U-15 schoolboy season. A graduate of The Angmering School, last season he featured not only for the Albion U-18s but also became a regular member of the England U-16 squad, making 7 starts in total. Collyer is another central midfield player.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Ignore me AZ, found the answer, inevitably from one of your posts:

Toby Collyer: Born in Worthing

Collyer has been in the Albion youth system since before he was 10. The Sussex lad developed through the age ranks and had his first involvement with the U-18 squad when he appeared as a substitute against Norwich City in February 2019 during his U-15 schoolboy season. A graduate of The Angmering School, last season he featured not only for the Albion U-18s but also became a regular member of the England U-16 squad, making 7 starts in total. Collyer is another central midfield player.

Answering questions before they were asked? I feel like I'm in a Two Ronnies sketch....

V_001

Dec 31, 2020
Hollingdean & Dublin
Up until covid precautions kicked in the first team and academy shared facilities and the coaches for them all shared offices. To say Potter has never set foot in the academy is completely incorrect. Ashworth also is very involved with both the first team and the academy regularly would be involved with Academy operations. Only now that the club are trying to create a secure bubble for the first team has any division happened.

Respect your opinion and very interesting how others see things, but I'm afraid either/or have no involvement in the academy, and that's before, during or after any lockdown/pandemics.

I can tell you from first hand experience over many years that our AM John Morling, has to fight tooth and nail at every opportunity to get the academy and its players recognised, his the unsung hero in what happens in the academy and I would take a wager anytime that without him and his tireless efforts the hierarchy wouldn't be able to tell you five players names from each of the 15s, 16s, 17s and 18s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here