Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Managers that we have never had

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
What managers have we been linked with in the past that have been close to getting the prime job either via speculation or through to the interview stage?
I think John Gregory was close once and I believe he really wanted to manage us
Joe Kinnear and Tony Adams may have been linked at some stage
Others like Jim Gannon and Tim Sherwood spring to mind who were definitely close in sealing the deal

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Going great guns at Stockport again, Jim Gannon

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Wasn’t Winfried Schäfer lined up to take over when Peter Taylor mark 2 left following promotion, something went wrong and we ended up with old Tinselwood. True story or urban legend?

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Paul Ince and/or Dennis Wise I remember being quite strongly linked towards the latter Withdean years. Probably a similar sort of time as Jim Gannon.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Phil Neville claimed we offered him the job. I think this was when CH took over. I think Warnock said he fancied managing us at some point too. Would have been fun.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Wasn’t Winfried Schäfer lined up to take over when Peter Taylor mark 2 left following promotion, something went wrong and we ended up with old Tinselwood. True story or urban legend?

According to Dick Knight’s book, Schafer was one of two he was after, the other being Steve Coppell. But Schaffer wouldn’t commit himself until after the World Cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here