Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where would you rank Graham Potter amongst current English club managers?

Where would you rank Graham Potter amongst current English club managers?

• 1st

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • 2nd

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • 3rd

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • 4th

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • 5th

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • 6th

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 7th

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 8th

• 9th

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 10th

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • 11th

• 12th

• 13th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 14th

• 15th or lower

Votes: 35 26.3%

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Best in the country by far: unique, inventive, fascinating. The managerial equivalent of the Velvet Underground: not appreciated enough at the moment but will become one of the most influentual figures in the world of football. Although, sadly, he may have to leave us to do it, since absolutely top-class players are essential to his style and it is a huge ask getting the squad to the level he needs. But I absolutely love watching him try!
I can understand the frustration if all you care about is results at any price. There is a strange dichotomy here though, on NSC and in the fanbase in general. I was happy with that in the Hughton years. For the first two or three seasons I just wanted us to stay up and didn't really care how it was done: Hughton's survival style was perfect for a club trying to establish itself. But so many people, including on here, complained about the 'negative football'! I stuck up for Hughton and was gutted when he was sacked, but even my patience was tested by the 0-0 Wolves/0-1 Spurs consecutive games :)

Potter was brought in in response to that. He has a very clear vision, we are getting all the compliments in the world for our football style and I am very proud to be an Albion fan at the moment. I firmly believe that the beauty and creativity of our football will glean enough points to keep us up. I don't see the logic in being fed up with negative football and ALSO fed up with flowing, beautiful football when you hit the post a lot and get perfectly good winning goals ruled out for non-existent infractions. The margins are so narrow!

I am happier with the team, manager and style now than any any point in my 58 years watching the Albion. We are putting up a wonderful performance in a league which, the Leicester freak aside, is basically a corporate procession dictated by plutocracy. If by any mishap we did get relegated I would very much enjoy winning loads of games as Potter brought us back up again. I hope the club doesn't panic and sticks with his five year plan.
Keep safe everyone.

Good man. Glad to see you happy. FWIW, I agree :thumbsup:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That's a stretch. Burnley's form collapsed early season when both Mee and Tarkowski were out and Long and Dunne had to replace them. Either might make a competent reserve, but both together are not adequate.

I'd put John Coleman in the top ten. If you think Dyche works wonders on a limited budget, then what Accrington Stanley are doing is even more remarkable. They had the second lowest budget in League Two when they won that division; I doubt it's gone up much since, and if League One was decided on points-per-game, they'd be top of that now.

Don't get me wrong. If the criteria for being #1 English manager is just based on gaining points and budget management, Dyche is peerless (Big Sam usually wants a king's ransom to keep a team up both for him and his player budget). You guys clearly need a few key injuries to stray off the rails rather than one or two. I'll check out Accrington's journey as recommended though.

We have a lot of strength in depth, that enables us to be able to compete with Man City with arguably our two best players missing (Lamptey & Bissouma), our best Striker injured (Welbeck), a Striker who scored in out last EPL game injured (Connolly), our most capped and experienced player together with being our de-facto Captain being out (Lallana) as well as our No.1 Keeper dropped recently and Ali-J being unavailable. That depth in nurtured and encouraged by our manager who made sure that the replacements had all seen meaningful game time this season.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Best in the country by far: unique, inventive, fascinating. The managerial equivalent of the Velvet Underground: not appreciated enough at the moment but will become one of the most influentual figures in the world of football. Although, sadly, he may have to leave us to do it, since absolutely top-class players are essential to his style and it is a huge ask getting the squad to the level he needs. But I absolutely love watching him try!
I can understand the frustration if all you care about is results at any price. There is a strange dichotomy here though, on NSC and in the fanbase in general. I was happy with that in the Hughton years. For the first two or three seasons I just wanted us to stay up and didn't really care how it was done: Hughton's survival style was perfect for a club trying to establish itself. But so many people, including on here, complained about the 'negative football'! I stuck up for Hughton and was gutted when he was sacked, but even my patience was tested by the 0-0 Wolves/0-1 Spurs consecutive games :)

Potter was brought in in response to that. He has a very clear vision, we are getting all the compliments in the world for our football style and I am very proud to be an Albion fan at the moment. I firmly believe that the beauty and creativity of our football will glean enough points to keep us up. I don't see the logic in being fed up with negative football and ALSO fed up with flowing, beautiful football when you hit the post a lot and get perfectly good winning goals ruled out for non-existent infractions. The margins are so narrow!

I am happier with the team, manager and style now than any any point in my 58 years watching the Albion. We are putting up a wonderful performance in a league which, the Leicester freak aside, is basically a corporate procession dictated by plutocracy. If by any mishap we did get relegated I would very much enjoy winning loads of games as Potter brought us back up again. I hope the club doesn't panic and sticks with his five year plan.
Keep safe everyone.

Yes Attila, great post! Exactly my thoughts, I couldn't have put it any better! (Except it's 32 years for me!)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Keep safe everyone.

Just a superb post.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

May 5, 2020
Sussex

Keep safe everyone.

This,exactly this,all of it.fantastic.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
I don't know whether he is a good man manager or good at coaching as I'm not "in the know". I can only judge by what I see on the pitch. He is brilliant at forming a midfield. I'd say the best there is given his resources. Truly outstanding. Defensively he is average, and frankly abysmal at defending set pieces. Up front, he is also shockingly bad. So much so that I think Kevin Bremner was a more clinical finisher than the current crop. Just no idea what they do in training. Equally I understand he didnt buy the players so should he just be judged as a coach instead of as a manager?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Personally I think what Gerrard has done at Rangers is somewhat over-rated - and it has more to do with the implosion at Celtic than anything else.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Until Potter can get the defensive side of the game right he will be nothing more than average , all the great managers know how to defend , where as he can’t even organise us at corners

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Bozza stop it your just being an attention seeking naughty boy, we all know this is the greatest football team so it must follow that we have the greatest manager, certainly better than Dirty Leeds whose manager can't be bothered enough to learn the language, with Yorkshire being so easy I will give you an example if you were looking for a biscuit you might say "tis tin tin" which translates to its in the biscuit box

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Any decent coach would have our corner takers being able to get the ball over the 1st man and in the box blindfolded. On the wages they get there is no excuse. It really makes you wonder what they do in training. I see better football at kids level tbh at least they can take a sodding corner. He must rank as the worst manager in the league rather have Nathan Jones back at least he has some oomph about him. Rather that the drivel of Potter taking positives out of every game, work on the negatives cause they will need to in the championship.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Until Potter can get the defensive side of the game right he will be nothing more than average , all the great managers know how to defend , where as he can’t even organise us at corners

I’d say scoring goals is the more pressing issue.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I wonder why Lampard was not on that list. He is the only English manager at a glamour club with a chance of winning anything.
People say these men are not ‘ special ones” but they are never given top jobs . It seems you need a fancy name and exotic background to interest the corporate directors of top clubs.
I suggest these men would do as well if not better.
As for Potter? He has to prove himself before considered among these men.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here