Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where would you rank Graham Potter amongst current English club managers?

Where would you rank Graham Potter amongst current English club managers?

• 1st

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • 2nd

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • 3rd

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • 4th

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • 5th

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • 6th

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 7th

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 8th

• 9th

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 10th

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • 11th

• 12th

• 13th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 14th

• 15th or lower

Votes: 35 26.3%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Even as a fan I have to confess that having won absolutely feck all it’s hard to put him above managers of similar sized teams who have done better than us in the PL and gained promotions. No idea but I’ll bow to Pep’s superior knowledge ( although it could be mischief making by him) :smile:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It depends if we are talking potential or the reality. Claiming Potter is a better manager than Hodgson is mental. Arguing he has achieved more than Wilder did last year is misguided. I also think what Gerrard is doing is impressive up there. I know it's monkey tennis but you still have to do it, and plenty haven't at Rangers. What Dyche has built at Burnley is incredible. They're a nothing club, with noddy fans and (before the takeoever) no money. To be so consistent for so long is the Premier League is very impressive, even if they're an awful watch.
Does Potter have the potential to be a good manager? Absolutely.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Dyche probs top for me, followed by Dyche.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

FWIW I agree with your top 4, little to split them but it's hard as each has a different job to do.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Seems a pretty pointless list tbh.

Not sure why anyone would rate Wilder/Smith/Potter any differently.
They have identical premier league experience, and over the 2 seasons, probably pretty similar records.

Does Smith get ahead of Potter because he has a much bigger budget?
Or is it because he has Grealish is his ranks?
Or do 90 minutes think Smith has been responsible for tactics and substitutions which have changed game outcomes more than Potter has?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
What really stands out is what a dreadful selection of choice and any list without the legend that is Frank Lampard can not be taken seriously :lolol:

Ultimately it comes down to the argument of how you measure managers, its terms of achievement Potter is well down the list but in terms of potential he is near the top.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I can see why Pep is so high on Potter, they play similar styles of football with the biggest difference being that Pep obviously has a shit tonne of money to keep throwing at his squad to blow the opposition out of the water. Wednesday’s game was like an
A-team vs B-team match. Another similarity is that Pep cannot effectively organise his defence so once again just keeps throwing money at players, again, a luxury not afforded to our Graham. I still believe Potter can be successful but he must be given a striker, otherwise we’ll keep coming up short, maybe too short this time.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Well one thing’s for sure, the best ain’t Southgate.

Quite funny that Pep said all that about Potter “this is the best English manager right here” all whilst Gareth was there studiously watching the game.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Love this. Just shows how utterly polarised and doollaly people are these days.
He is clearly neither number 1 nor 15th or lower.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Potter makes it very clear he is a coach. Can only compare him to similar clubs. I do think he tries to be too clever with selections and do wonder about his managerial skills. Interesting what players think of so many changes taking place and so many played out of position. Personally prefer Dyche method Having total belief in 14/15 players and making the odd change.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That list summarises why my view is that the club should be in no rush to get rid of Potter even with things as bad as they are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here