Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 16-23/01

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Fulham & West Brom both with mini resurgence in performances but not particularly points.. yet...

We need to keep our better performances going...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I agree. Fulham have had a lot of good shooting opportunities, but other than Lookman they have been wasteful. Keep him quiet, attack Joe Bryan with Tau and - hopefully - Lallana, and we should do well.

Also nice to see Areola make a big mistake to let Utd back in.
Would you really bring Lallana back in after the two excellent games from Alexis???

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Mings had no idea he was there because the player was behind him. The city player gained an advantage from being in an offside position.

You’d have thought so but having just watched the MOTD highlights it seems Mings eyeballed the City player twice. As a professional footballer it’s his responsibility to know the rules of the game and, if in doubt, leather it into Row Z. Sure, it’s a daft rule but it’s still a rule.

But let’s face it. It is funny to laugh at Mings.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Got to admit I laughed my socks off when Villa manager Dean Smith moaned that the first City goal should have been called offside, then got a red card for his whining.

Live on BT Sport during and after the game pundit Rio Ferdinand and presenter Jake Humphrey along with ex-referee Walton were also moaning about a poor VAR decision, but then a little later had to admit that the ruling was correct by the laws of the game, which just happen to have been written many years ago.

Better go away and learn the rules of the game for next time lads, your getting paid loads for doing a job a lot of other people could do in your place.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I love the Villa angst.. complaining about a rule that you didn't know existed is frankly hilarious .. the rule that Smith so easily dismisses as "pathetic" is similar in sentiment to the process that attacking players have used for years.. stand in an offside position for Phase I and then can join the attack in phase 2 in which you have an advantage positionally. To some extent we were on the receiving end of this with the Boro promotion (Mr Dean!) game when the ball came off the bar and the player who had been offside when the ball originally came in sticks it in the net despite arguably gaining an advantage with his positioning .. I think it was Van Nilstelrooy who took advantage of it in the English game, years ago. Suck it up Smith, Terry and Sock-Boy..

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I love the Villa angst.. complaining about a rule that you didn't know existed is frankly hilarious .. the rule that Smith so easily dismisses as "pathetic" is similar in sentiment to the process that attacking players have used for years.. stand in an offside position for Phase I and then can join the attack in phase 2 in which you have an advantage positionally. To some extent we were on the receiving end of this with the Boro promotion (Mr Dean!) game when the ball came off the bar and the player who had been offside when the ball originally came in sticks it in the net despite arguably gaining an advantage with his positioning .. I think it was Van Nilstelrooy who took advantage of it in the English game, years ago. Suck it up Smith, Terry and Sock-Boy..

Would this be the same Villa that failed goal line technology got them a draw when the ball was a country mile over the line against the Blades - karma

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Mixed feeling about Fulham - I agree that whilst they are looking better, they have been no better than us and the plaudits that others have given them, an upturn in form has not delivered any wins since the end of November and are the same results with which we have been criticised for. They simply have been harder to defeat. BUT, I hope that those in other threads have Fulham in as a "must win" "No point beating Leeds if we cant beat Fulham" and a platform for slating GP/certain players just take the opportunity to realise they are hard to beat, have some good individuals and , if they are error-free in a game at the back, will cause us some issues. I honestly think a point would be OK, as I don't think they will win enough games in the 2nd half, and an injury here and there will maybe show a lack of depth. Not settling for it, but a draw the most likely outcome for me.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A Burnley game in hand tonight....

...at Liverpool.

Home win please, of course.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think a couple of seconds and no one bats an eyelid. If Mings takes the ball down, traps it, and then the city player closes him down, more people would recognise that as two phases of plays. But because the city player closes him down as he's trapping the ball, it feels like it's a challenge for the ball from the City player. I seem to be going back and forth in my own mind as to how much I think those couple of seconds matter.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Mixed feeling about Fulham - I agree that whilst they are looking better, they have been no better than us and the plaudits that others have given them, an upturn in form has not delivered any wins since the end of November and are the same results with which we have been criticised for. They simply have been harder to defeat. BUT, I hope that those in other threads have Fulham in as a "must win" "No point beating Leeds if we cant beat Fulham" and a platform for slating GP/certain players just take the opportunity to realise they are hard to beat, have some good individuals and , if they are error-free in a game at the back, will cause us some issues. I honestly think a point would be OK, as I don't think they will win enough games in the 2nd half, and an injury here and there will maybe show a lack of depth. Not settling for it, but a draw the most likely outcome for me.

They have fight but they can't finish and missed a couple of sitters late on. Think we are marginally better but we need to show in on field and exploit these 6 pointers in the second half of the season

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hope no one on here EXPECTS a win against Fulham. I thought they gave United a really hard game and do not look like a relegation side, they also seem to be playing with belief and seem to be behind Scott Whinger Parker. I think I’d take a draw if offered right now. See how low my expectations have become :down:

The no home wins monkey can wait a little longer, we absolutely don’t need to lose this game.

It could of course be the game it all comes together and we win comfortably :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I hope no one on here EXPECTS a win against Fulham. I thought they gave United a really hard game and do not look like a relegation side, they also seem to be playing with belief and seem to be behind Scott Whinger Parker. I think I’d take a draw if offered right now. See how low my expectations have become :down:
It is Potter's biggest game at the albion so far.

We are waaaayyyyyyy overdue a home win against a PL struggler.

The law of inevitability means that win gets closer each attempt.

We need the win badly this time.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
It is Potter's biggest game at the albion so far.

We are waaaayyyyyyy overdue a home win against a PL struggler.

The law of inevitability means that win gets closer each attempt.

We need the win badly this time.

I also think it could happen, and argue that we want the win badly and the benfits momentum built etc. would of course be fantastic, but just think Fulham need it more than we do.

Jimmy Grimble

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex

The no home wins monkey can wait a little longer, we absolutely don’t need to lose this game.

It could of course be the game it all comes together and we win comfortably :thumbsup:

I think we can be sure there are some that say they "expect a win" or that will use the failure to win as a huge issue and that Fulham are apparently dreadful. I wont settle for a draw just yet, because I think we are better than them over the course of the season so far, but not by much, so just expect it to end as a draw!

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I think we can be sure there are some that say they "expect a win" or that will use the failure to win as a huge issue and that Fulham are apparently dreadful. I wont settle for a draw just yet, because I think we are better than them over the course of the season so far, but not by much, so just expect it to end as a draw!

I think it's more that surely we've got to beat SOMEONE at home at some point. We weren't better than Arsenal, Man Utd or Liverpool but we've managed to take points off them at the Amex in the past. Of late it has felt like we need an almost perfect performance to get anything from a game, we need to grind out some points and beating Fulham at home should not be a daunting prospect after 4yrs on the Premier league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here