Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is more important to you as an Albion fan.

What is more important to you as an Albion fan?

• Total voters

Weird, so if you want to see your team win it means you can’t be entertained or have a social day out, who knew! Unrealistic Albion fans wanting a combination of these things, you clearly weren’t at the Pissfield on a Tuesday night

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Blimey this is hard.

Back in the 80's I used to get really despondent when we lost, then I sort of got acclimatised to 'winning and losing, doesn't matter too much as long as I have a good day out'.

Then came the late 90's, and it was only about results wasn't it - nothing else mattered. Post-Hereford, and moving up north really affected the way I saw things - results became fairly irrelevant so long as we had enough decent ones to carry on, entertainment was irrelevant, as I was only seeing 2-3 games a year live anyway.

Then the upsurge, and results became everything again - I didn't care 5 years ago if it was a crap dull game if it meant 3 more points towards promotion.

Now - to be honest, I really don't know what I think. We can watch every game on some sort of stream or other - so we over analyse them I think. I love to be entertained with 'great' football, but not sure whether this is enough on it's own. I only get to away games, so for me the game I recall so far in the Premier Leagues was the rather dour 1-0 win away at Newcastle when Murray got knocked out. Great day out, super pubs, good beer, good crack, great atmosphere, and the joy of being amongst fans seeing their first away win for a year. Not pretty, not entertaining football - but great as a fan. If it had been the fifth away win or something, it wouldn't have been any fun at all.

So, how do you sum all that up??

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Blimey this is hard.

Back in the 80's I used to get really despondent when we lost, then I sort of got acclimatised to 'winning and losing, doesn't matter too much as long as I have a good day out'.

Then came the late 90's, and it was only about results wasn't it - nothing else mattered. Post-Hereford, and moving up north really affected the way I saw things - results became fairly irrelevant so long as we had enough decent ones to carry on, entertainment was irrelevant, as I was only seeing 2-3 games a year live anyway.

Then the upsurge, and results became everything again - I didn't care 5 years ago if it was a crap dull game if it meant 3 more points towards promotion.

Now - to be honest, I really don't know what I think. We can watch every game on some sort of stream or other - so we over analyse them I think. I love to be entertained with 'great' football, but not sure whether this is enough on it's own. I only get to away games, so for me the game I recall so far in the Premier Leagues was the rather dour 1-0 win away at Newcastle when Murray got knocked out. Great day out, super pubs, good beer, good crack, great atmosphere, and the joy of being amongst fans seeing their first away win for a year. Not pretty, not entertaining football - but great as a fan. If it had been the fifth away win or something, it wouldn't have been any fun at all.

So, how do you sum all that up??

Understand all of that. It think that's a mixture of wanting the club to recover and now it has, well, we are not sure what we want. Also add in getting older and football isn't as important as it used to be to us and your post makes perfect sense.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Understand all of that. It think that's a mixture of wanting the club to recover and now it has, well, we are not sure what we want. Also add in getting older and football isn't as important as it used to be to us and your post makes perfect sense.

Thanks - yes, good analysis. 'We are not sure what we want [now we're there]' does indeed sum it up.

However, I definitely want a win this afternoon! By any means.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Tonight I know the answer to this question. ....because we have WON ! . The display against Leeds may not have been our finest but we ground out a 1 nil victory and I feel great.
There is nothing like the warm glow that you feel on Saturday evenings when your team has won .

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Tonight I know the answer to this question. ....because we have WON ! . The display against Leeds may not have been our finest but we ground out a 1 nil victory and I feel great.
There is nothing like the warm glow that you feel on Saturday evenings when your team has won .

Couldn’t agree more - but we played really well too and GPott out-Bielsa’d Bielsa.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Can't answer. My enjoyment is based round a win at the moment because relegation would be difficult for the club financially, would impact our ability to sign and keep the terrific prospects we now have and I now dread returning to a VARless Championship. I still love the truth(mostly) of VAR. I well remember the Bailey years when the boring football drove the fans away and I couldn't even enjoy the wins. At the moment results over entertainment, but we are very close to both now.

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
Dress it up how you like. Like so many others on here you're choosing to be negative when there just isn't any point to it.

Everyone from the tea lady to the Chairman knows full well that we want to play with more pace and accuracy more of the time.
Everyone should know that with our squad and without the multi millions to bring in top rated players we have to pick up points from the other teams in the lower half of the table, with luck we might just get into the top half of the league by the end of the season

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
When we were first promoted staying up was the only thing that mattered. I almost revelled in Hughton's Metal Machine Music football.
But after a couple of seasons the statement had been made. Simply finishing 14th or whatever by any means wasn't going to be enough. I love to be entertained: I wanted my team to play great football again.
Then Potter arrived and combined beautiful football with just about good enough results which would have been absolutely good enough but for the width of a goalpost.
If we are ever, somehow, to 'do a Leicester' or get near to it, it will be under Potter. I genuinely don't think anyone else is capable of taking us there. It will be because he has managed to get the players to perform at the standard necessary to get his ideas across on the pitch more or less all the time.
It's a huge ask, but wonderful fun watching him try. I literally have never seen better football from the Albion.

And as for 'tinkering' or 'not knowing his best team' - his best team is the one he selects for each match. It would only be 'tinkering' if we were playing the same opposition every week.* He selects a team to play the players we are up against. It is a completely logical way of managing.
(*Now there's an idea. Leeds. Please :))

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
And as for 'tinkering' or 'not knowing his best team' - his best team is the one he selects for each match. It would only be 'tinkering' if we were playing the same opposition every week.* He selects a team to play the players we are up against. It is a completely logical way of managing.
(*Now there's an idea. Leeds. Please :))

Couldn't agree more and can't see why people don't see this. I suppose it's all about opinions.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Since I (like many others I suspect) have been going for many years and will still go whether we're propping up League 2 or steaming along at the top of the Premier League I cannot give any reply as I think I fall into all the categories

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here