Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Covid Goal Celebrations

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
According to Pep, it will be hard to stop players celebrating goals during a match.

Jumping on each other, with clouds of breath visible to the global TV audience, it is not a good look in this Pandemic.

Although not a problem for us - opinions?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55658821

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
There's a lot to be angry at football clubs and players over, from needlessly sacking staff to certain players disgracing themselves with violation after violation of the rules.

This is just silly though. There's no real risk here at all, everyone knows the players have been tested frequently and before each game. So much else people could be focusing on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
According to Pep, it will be hard to stop players celebrating goals during a match.

Jumping on each other, with clouds of breath visible to the global TV audience, it is not a good look in this Pandemic.

Although not a problem for us - opinions?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55658821

It's all bollocks - professional rugby is still going ahead (similar protocols). Celebrations are no worse than a scrum. Nothing to see here

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Well, from a perception point of view, it doesn't look good, however the reality is this is the thin end of the wedge. These players are with each other at close quarters several days a week, working in a job where social distancing is by definition not possible much of the time. Is celebrating together a transmission risk? Of course it is, but probably not that significant in the broader context.

The bigger question, if you take your football supporting hat off for a moment, is whether it should be being played at all right now. Generally speaking, we're seeing tens of players and staff testing positive in the Premier League and EFL each week. 50 or 60 cases out of hundreds of thousands nationally is small beer, surely? I mean, no one has died yet.

That we know of.

And that's the issue. The fact football is being played means that the virus is being transmitted unnecessarily - whether or not it's important to the mental health of fans around the country, it's not essential. You'll never know this definitively, but somewhere down the train of transmission, people will have died because elite sport was being played. That is almost certain in my opinion.

The reality is, football has continued to be played for two reasons:

• The government's desire to retain some semblance of popularity with the general public
  • Money
If we accept the uncomfortable truth that people are [almost certainly] dying as an indirect result of football continuing, it becomes a question of what is reasonable collateral damage? We could cut practically all road deaths by limiting cars to 30mph, but of course nobody wants that - the collective inconvenience it would do outweighs the individual tragedies.

So were are we on this? Where am I? I really don't know - I love football, and even in its sterile current format it's been refreshing to have it back in my life after last year's abrupt hiatus. But I'm uncomfortable with the pain it is no doubt causing somewhere down the line, even if the victims and their families are unable to connect the dots. The harm that football is doing right now is invisible; lives quietly lost in a sea of depressing daily figures.

I just can't help but think that in a world where the concept of money didn't exist, the game probably wouldn't be being played right now. And therein, I feel, lies the answer. It probably shouldn't be.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Well, from a perception point of view, it doesn't look good, however the reality is this is the thin end of the wedge. These players are with each other at close quarters several days a week, working in a job where social distancing is by definition not possible much of the time. Is celebrating together a transmission risk? Of course it is, but probably not that significant in the broader context.

The bigger question, if you take your football supporting hat off for a moment, is whether it should be being played at all right now. Generally speaking, we're seeing tens of players and staff testing positive in the Premier League and EFL each week. 50 or 60 cases out of hundreds of thousands nationally is small beer, surely? I mean, no one has died yet.

That we know of.

And that's the issue. The fact football is being played means that the virus is being transmitted unnecessarily - whether or not it's important to the mental health of fans around the country, it's not essential. You'll never know this definitively, but somewhere down the train of transmission, people will have died because elite sport was being played. That is almost certain in my opinion.

The reality is, football has continued to be played for two reasons:

• The government's desire to retain some semblance of popularity with the general public
  • Money
If we accept the uncomfortable truth that people are [almost certainly] dying as an indirect result of football continuing, it becomes a question of what is reasonable collateral damage? We could cut practically all road deaths by limiting cars to 30mph, but of course nobody wants that - the collective inconvenience it would do outweighs the individual tragedies.

So were are we on this? Where am I? I really don't know - I love football, and even in its sterile current format it's been refreshing to have it back in my life after last year's abrupt hiatus. But I'm uncomfortable with the pain it is no doubt causing somewhere down the line, even if the victims and their families are unable to connect the dots. The harm that football is doing right now is invisible; lives quietly lost in a sea of depressing daily figures.

I just can't help but think that in a world where the concept of money didn't exist, the game probably wouldn't be being played right now. And therein, I feel, lies the answer. It probably shouldn't be.

Good points. The football protocols keep the football bubble playing and it does bring relief to millions. Just needs to be some way to stop them gobbing and kissing each other during a match when they score. As said earlier, all we need to concentrate on is the gobbing :)

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Players are getting tested 2x a week. What a load of bollocks.

Whats next, no tackling? Ball needs to be wiped down with anti bacteria gel before every throw in or touched by the goalie?

Separate travel for each player? Everyone has their personal changing rooms?

Where do you stop?

FFS. Common sense is not a pre requisite to be in the FA obviously.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What a load of nonsense. Do they think we are stupid?

They are all working together, training together, in the same changing rooms all the time. I really don't care if they enjoy scoring a goal with a celebration hug.

This really shouldn't be the focus. The radar should be on those players who outside of their work totally flout the ban, having parties together, going to see other people, travelling to Dubai - they shouldn't be allowed to continue to play as they proved themselves not responsible to do so. As for the rest, hug away I say.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Image is everything in today’s society, everything is expressed by visual representation so much so that if you aren’t showing openly what you’re thinking, saying, representing, supporting, doing etc then you’re either not, or simply don’t exist.

It is therefore a big deal (even though it shouldn’t be).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What a load of nonsense. Do they think we are stupid?

They are all working together, training together, in the same changing rooms all the time. I really don't care if they enjoy scoring a goal with a celebration hug.

This really shouldn't be the focus. The radar should be on those players who outside of their work totally flout the ban, having parties together, going to see other people, travelling to Dubai - they shouldn't be allowed to continue to play as they proved themselves not responsible to do so. As for the rest, hug away I say.

That.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Along with trying to discourage goal celebrations just seen on Sky that the big chiefs also want players to stop spitting and snorting on the pitch. One of my pet hates. They haven't got a hope in hell. The only way to stop it would be to book the players but most matches would end up 5 aside as some are habitual spitters

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
It's all bollocks - professional rugby is still going ahead (similar protocols). Celebrations are no worse than a scrum. Nothing to see here

I do think it’s different though. Scrums are a prerequisite for playing the game of rugby. In the decision for rugby to return, players willingly acknowledge those risks associated the the job. You can’t have rugby without scrums. With football however, hugging is not needed to play the game.

Though jostling for corners etc probably carries a comparable risk to hugging, good press matters for the FA and the government. Football has been allowed to continue during this lockdown when it wasn’t during the first - and this third wave of the virus is deadlier than the first. When the PL campaigned to be allowed to play again in June, clubs (including the Albion) were falling over themselves to show how they were Covid secure environments. One way of showing this to the public was the emphasis on muted goal celebrations and the ol’ elbow bump.

With the antics of a handful of players off the pitch, combined with outbreaks in clubs, football does need to show that it’s not become lax with protocol. We don’t see what goes on at the training facilities, so goal celebrations (or a lack of them) are a small gesture of football’s compliance.

I see it a bit like with schools before the lockdown. Our school stopped team sports in the autumn. Did it carry more risk than those children, already mixing at lunch time etc, being in their classes together? Probably not. But schools needed to show that they were only putting children through the bare minimum, rather than doing something that wasn’t essential. Perception matters.

Testing isn’t bullet-proof either. Anyone remember the Ireland case straight after the England game back in November? https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www...lan-browne-had-coronavirus-match-against/amp/

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
English rugby has just stopped for two weeks as well, and possibly longer

After stopping face to face celebrations

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here