[Albion] Post match review by both managers

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkbe-R8M35M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIbd-Iupmww

7:25
What do you think of Brighton?

I said in my press conference and to my players you're in-front of one of the best English manager right now.

They have good players, good build-up, their 2 central defenders, Webster they are fantastic in they commit to the next line, one extra man. Every pass makes sense, every movement by people between the lines makes sense.

All I can say as a spectator I like to watch these teams, I like to watch Brighton play. I recognise it, I was a football player and I would have loved to have played in his team.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

I said in my press conference and to my players you're in-front of one of the best English manager right now.

Usual patronising sentiments from Pep after collecting three points from us.
He likes playing Brighton because we take City on at their own game rather than parking the bus.
It means they win and look good.
(Not that parking the bus would necessarily get us any closer to winning).

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He said something complimentary about Arteta just before they went on a winning run.

I don't see many comparissons though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pep's first thought was Crystal Palace? ???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
We're into our fourth season in the Premier League and people are latching onto compliments like we are Chorley or Marine. It's desperate. We play pretty passing but got beat, again. We have 14 points from 18 games and have been in dreadful form for 12 months.

Relish in the compliments when we actually win some football matches. Not when we have a good 30 minute spell of pressure and do nothing with it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He likes playing Brighton because we take City on at their own game rather than parking the bus.

See the still of GP. I like the way that Graham is clearly really focussed on the question. I've noticed he does this. Like he's really trying to find an answer to the question. It's polite

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

I think that you're unfair in labeling his comments patronising. Guardiola is complementary because he is a football purist and recognises that Potter shares the same ideals and applies this to his teams. He didn't make complementary remarks about us after Chris's team made them work equally hard to get a victory in the FA Cup semi final, because our approach did not match his ideal for how all football teams should play. He was honest last season when they beat us 4-0, saying that the scoreline was skewed by the brilliantly clinical finishing of his strikers that day. Oh how lovely that comment would be to hear coming out of Potter's mouth. Just imagine him, on Saturday night, saying "We weren't that superior today, but moments of quality won it for us and made the scoreline look far worse than it should have for the opposition."

Last night showed that we can defend if we don't over commit, that we are a well coached team in the sense that Pep is describing. However, it also showed that we are often confronting a packed penalty area because our counter attacking is not incisive enough, slows down and allows the opposition to get themselves set. I still think that we need to play a bit more 'rope-a-dope'. We need to find ways of tempting out lesser opposition in order to gain space. Potter seems to try to do this through building from the back, but this is closing spaces. I'd like to see us ceding a bit of possession and keeping our shape like we did last night. There were chances on the counter last night that, against lesser defenders, would have been shots on goal. I think back to the second goal we scored against Newcastle and to Wellbeck's against Villa as examples of situations that show that we can do it. Without Lamptey's pace or Lallana's passing ability available to us, it seems that it would be easier for us to create these situations if our opponents had more of the ball and were given the opportunity to make the kind of mistakes that we have made that give attacking players good chances in clear spaces.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
“I said in my press conference before the game and I said to my players, we are in front of the best English manager right now,” Guardiola declared, and he wasn’t talking about Gareth Southgate, who was watching from the stands at the Etihad.

Graham Potter, Guardiola said, had demonstrated that it is “not necessary to have a top, top side to have courage to play”.

“They are good players, they have good build up,” he continued. “Every pass makes sense, every movement of the people between the lines and up front makes sense. Every player is in his position to get the ball to be free.

“When I saw all the games, I see them being better than the opponent. They play better than the opponent, the statistics are better than the opponent. They are struggling to score goals and that’s why they are in this position.

“All I can say is as a spectator I like to watch these teams,” Guardiola added, before paying Brighton the ultimate compliment. “I was a football player and I’d have loved to play in this team.”

Clearly Pep needs to log into NSC and be put right by the Potter out experts here.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

Thanks for sharing the post-match press conferences. Like everyone else I'm feeling nervous, but I'm also very heartened by the attitude and ability of our young squad.
I think Graham Potter is a breath of fresh air. I've found his development of our playing style and introduction of youngsters very exciting and entertaining.

I do understand that many fans main measurement of success is overwhelmingly points on the board. Until we can start winning some games GP's always going to be a target for criticism.

However I know that for all the frustration that is shown by some fans in various posts, we all want Brighton to succeed.

On the bright side, a)Brexit talk is largely subdued b)Trump has lost power c)A vaccination programme is underway d)The evenings are getting longer.

If Brighton could just get on and climb to a position of safety, the last of my anxieties would have been dealt with.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I think that you're unfair in labeling his comments patronising. Guardiola is complementary because he is a football purist and recognises that Potter shares the same ideals and applies this to his teams. He didn't make complementary remarks about us after Chris's team made them work equally hard to get a victory in the FA Cup semi final, because our approach did not match his ideal for how all football teams should play. He was honest last season when they beat us 4-0, saying that the scoreline was skewed by the brilliantly clinical finishing of his strikers that day. Oh how lovely that comment would be to hear coming out of Potter's mouth. Just imagine him, on Saturday night, saying "We weren't that superior today, but moments of quality won it for us and made the scoreline look far worse than it should have for the opposition."

Last night showed that we can defend if we don't over commit, that we are a well coached team in the sense that Pep is describing. However, it also showed that we are often confronting a packed penalty area because our counter attacking is not incisive enough, slows down and allows the opposition to get themselves set. I still think that we need to play a bit more 'rope-a-dope'. We need to find ways of tempting out lesser opposition in order to gain space. Potter seems to try to do this through building from the back, but this is closing spaces. I'd like to see us ceding a bit of possession and keeping our shape like we did last night. There were chances on the counter last night that, against lesser defenders, would have been shots on goal. I think back to the second goal we scored against Newcastle and to Wellbeck's against Villa as examples of situations that show that we can do it. Without Lamptey's pace or Lallana's passing ability available to us, it seems that it would be easier for us to create these situations if our opponents had more of the ball and were given the opportunity to make the kind of mistakes that we have made that give attacking players good chances in clear spaces.

You have some interesting tactical ideas here, although let’s face it City are one of the very best teams in the world. I don’t think we could have done a lot more than we did yesterday. 1-0 away to City is fine . We didn’t get beaten up and played well. Some fringe players did very well.
As for Pep and his comments . I just don’t take it as a big complement when he says these nice things after beating us . I remember Jose used to love Hughton....until we turned them over a couple of times! Then he was cooler with Chris. I preferred that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

All of this.

Leeds will be gung ho, like City but without the quality. If we defend like we did against City, we may see our attacks prosper a little better against slower (witted and fitted) opposition.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Very good post, still hopeful that A Mc can fill the Lallana role.

boik

They have good players, good build-up, their 2 central defenders, Webster they are fantastic in they commit to the next line, one extra man. Every pass makes sense, every movement by people between the lines makes sense.

All I can say as a spectator I like to watch these teams, I like to watch Brighton play. I recognise it, I was a football player and I would have loved to have played in his team.

Well it's pretty obvious that Pep doesn't know as much about football management as some on NSC appear to.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I think Pep acknowledges that GP is a man after his own heart. This cuts right to the debate about whether Pep could do what he does with a L2 club and his comments in recent interviews suggest he couldn't. I think Pep believes that the reason we are struggling is not the style of play but the quality of the players we have. This highlights the problem that GP faces. He either sticks to his guns and tries to improve the players to fit his system or he changes his system until the right players come through the academy to make his system work.

TB seems to have decided that he wants to play the Potter way but doesn't want to pay for the players to play it so will grow them through the academy. This is why GP will not get sacked as it is just a waiting game until the player and system parts align.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here