Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The 'history in the making' you've slept through

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last night I was pleased Trumpelstilskin's historic second impeachment vote was at a reasonable time.

I settled down to watch at 9pm.
I got to about 100 yay's.
I had a long blink.
& boom
The weather forecast was on.

I'm sure there must be a fair few others.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I slept through the Great Storm of 1987 totally oblivious to it. I stepped out the following morning completely bewildered by all the devastation surrounding me.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Fell asleep with 2 minutes of extra time to go on Sunday.
Slept through Steele’s 4 saves and a giant killing victory for the boys.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
October 1984, Grand Hotel Bombing. With thoughts to those who lost loved ones.
Working as a DJ in Rain Restaurant (now Buddies) and living on Kings Road about half a mile from the hotel, I was working until 2 am. The reporter who also missed the story was in that night, one of many who had 'a few too many'.
Anyway, woke up at about 8 and put on the TV only to see lots of fire, police & ambulance attending a scene. Put on kettle with one eye on the TV unsure where the scene was but in those IRA days it was normal. Took a few minutes before I realised it was in Brighton at which point I pulled back the curtains to see emergency vehicle after emergency vehicle parked up outside my flat.
Flashing lights, sirens et al and I slept through it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I slept through the Great Storm of 1987 totally oblivious to it. I stepped out the following morning completely bewildered by all the devastation surrounding me.
I missed that one too - still hadn't come round from the anesthetic from a six hour operation the previous day!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Last night I was pleased Trumpelstilskin's historic second impeachment vote was at a reasonable time.

I settled down to watch at 9pm.
I got to about 100 yay's.
I had a long blink.
& boom
The weather forecast was on.

I'm sure there must be a fair few others.
You mispelt "Trumplethinskin".

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I missed most of our 2003 World Cup win v Aus, waking and sleeping on and off with the mother of hangovers and a certain amount of nausea.

Half a pint too many the night before.

41rXFQwha1L._AC_SY355_.jpg

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Storm of 87 I slept through it. I had been to a pal's stag do in the Brewery Tap (in the days when a stag do was a few pints in the local rather than a fortnight yak bothering in Nepal) and had had more than a few shandies.

One that I didn't sleep through was Elvis' death; I'd had an ingrown toe removed and couldn't sleep so was listening to Radio Luxembourg.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My mum woke me up in tears the morning after Diana had died to tell me the news. She was a bit taken aback by my "who the hell cares?" response.

Well, the answer we now know to be women and the Daily Express.

It would have been better if you had predicted the Albion 'who?'. And quicker to say.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
9/11
Was sleeping off nights, when those terrible events unfolded.
Only told by my wife, when she returned late from her work:(

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Me too. Normally the sound of someone nearby raising an eyebrow is sufficient to wake me, too. Very odd.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I didn't sleep through it, but...

Our boys were quite little (7 and 6) when we took them on their first skiing holiday. We had Christmas at home, and then got the train to Gatwick the next day, from where we flew to Bulgaria, and a week in Borovets.

It was a brilliant week.

On the plane back from Sofia, the captain announced that the stewards would be coming through the plane, collecting money to help those involved in the tsunami on Boxing Day. It was January 2nd, and we had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.

Getting home, and seeing what had happened was a serious shock to the system.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I missed most of our 2003 World Cup win v Aus, waking and sleeping on and off with the mother of hangovers and a certain amount of nausea.

Half a pint too many the night before.

View attachment 132465

I missed all of it, was coming off a night shift but more relevant was I have no interest in Rugby so couldn't care less anyway.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Me too. Normally the sound of someone nearby raising an eyebrow is sufficient to wake me, too. Very odd.

Being a Northern Monkey at the time completely slept through it, the only damage in Northwich was removal of my Bin Lid. Seeing as I hadn't met Mrs Jakarta at the time and knew nowt about Sussex I just shrugged my shoulders and thought get on with it you soft southern barstewards when I woke up & turned on the News...

Sorry and all that! :down:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Storm of 87 I slept through it. I had been to a pal's stag do in the Brewery Tap (in the days when a stag do was a few pints in the local rather than a fortnight yak bothering in Nepal) and had had more than a few shandies.

One that I didn't sleep through was Elvis' death; I'd had an ingrown toe removed and couldn't sleep so was listening to Radio Luxembourg.

I slept through the 87 storm and I definitely hadn’t been drinking, I wish I could sleep as well now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here