Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Injury time inconsistencies

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
This is rapidly working its way up the list of my least favourite things in modern football.

To go from United at home, where a staggering amount of injury time was played, to several occasions where a ridiculously small amount of time has been added on, is infuriating.

What makes my blood boil more than any of that is when the ref blows up on the exact amount they indicated, regardless of what happened during injury time (probably doesn’t help that we usually need the extra time). Today was a prime example - he added three minutes on (ridiculous in itself) and then blew up on the dot despite a penalty during injury time, which must have taken at least a minute, if not more.

Been noticing exactly the same things. Keep seeing zero injury time added in a first half when clearly a minute or two should be added, and like you say the ref blowing up on the exact amount of minutes that were initially indicated even though a penalty/injury/goal happened during those minutes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That part of it is a fundamental change. Abandoning the notion a football match lasts 90 minuts couldn't be done lightly and would need agreement from IFAB and FIFA.

The refs watch being publicly available to view isn't a major change and could be implemented quickly, cheaply and easily ... if there were will to do so

Yes I know it's a fundamental change, but it's still a way to solve an increasingly serious problem. We only get 30 minutes play each half anyway, so wouldn't make much difference to the players or fans.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
maybe there should be a massive stopwatch at teach end like basketball and a big buzzer. . . . nothing to do with a dodgy cock with a whistle. In fact get rid. ditch lino's as well, use lasers n tazers.

players need to be chipped like dogs for the data apps to work, it'll also help keep the away from
the 'barbers' (coke dealers and hookers and party houses.

blade runner PL 2021 . . .you heard it here first.

They'll survive with uber deliveries.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
This is rapidly working its way up the list of my least favourite things in modern football.

To go from United at home, where a staggering amount of injury time was played, to several occasions where a ridiculously small amount of time has been added on, is infuriating.

What makes my blood boil more than any of that is when the ref blows up on the exact amount they indicated, regardless of what happened during injury time (probably doesn’t help that we usually need the extra time). Today was a prime example - he added three minutes on (ridiculous in itself) and then blew up on the dot despite a penalty during injury time, which must have taken at least a minute, if not more.

People who know me will know that this is one of my biggest bugbears with modern football.

Every (winning) side wastes a ridiculous amount of time (we did it on Saturday - Gross took nearly 2 minutes to take a corner in the second half) so I was thinking minimum 5 added mins - we got away with three.

HAVE A CLOCK - which stops EVERY TIME the ball goes dead. I'd suggest 35 minutes of play (we get far, far less than that at the moment)

No more time wasting, goalkeeper taking ball to opposite side of area, feigning injury etc.

It's not rocket science and I don't understand why it hasn't been done.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Never understood why those in charge havent dealt with timekeeping. Surely would be so simple to stop clock when goal scored/ Free kick given, injuries and subs made. Just restart when play restarts..

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There was one the other day - the scum at Arsenal. He added on 4 mins. Managed to book a palace player for time wasting a good 40secs to take a free kick, then blew up bang on 94. The sheer stupidity of some of them is horrendous!

Pet hate of mine too.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
As so many have said, the things that "they" (Those in charge) have meddled, with, had a go at sorting, and this appears (to many of us at least) the easiest thing to change/manage/improve. For ease :
In Normal Time : get a sensible, pragmatic approach
- stop the clock : every time a goal is scored, until the moment the game is re-started.
- stop the clock : every time a physio is on the pitch, until a game is re-started
- stop the clock for subs : until the referee re-starts the game

In Added-on Time - get the full amount played.
- stop the clock : as above but crucially
- stop the clock : every time the referee blows the whistle to stop play
Blow the whistle the second the time is up - even if the corner is floating into the box, a shot that has left the boot can count (NBA style).

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I've noticed refs like to let an attack complete before blowing the whistle, even if it is after the allotted injury time. This is what happened in the Liverpool game last night. As soon as the attack broke down and United began moving the ball out, he blew his whistle. Same if you get a corner at the end of injury time. You are always allowed to take it and try and convert, even if its past the scheduled injury time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've noticed refs like to let an attack complete before blowing the whistle, even if it is after the allotted injury time. This is what happened in the Liverpool game last night. As soon as the attack broke down and United began moving the ball out, he blew his whistle. Same if you get a corner at the end of injury time. You are always allowed to take it and try and convert, even if its past the scheduled injury time.

Not if you're Clive Thomas.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not if you're Clive Thomas.
Note how far back in time you have to go to find a non bent ref with the courage of his convictions

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Note how far back in time you have to go to find a non bent ref with the courage of his convictions

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I don't think it was anything to do with having the 'courage of his convictions'. Thomas was an officious twit who loved a bit of controversy and attention, so chalking off a "winner" for Brazil in a World Cup because he below the whistle as the ball came over from the injury time corner he'd awarded was right up his strasa.

He was the The Complete And Utter Shyster of his time. My dad despised him.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

That was quite interesting: seeing if Fergie Time or Kloppage Time would win out in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Mastermind rules - "You've started, so you'll finish"...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here