Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Injury time inconsistencies

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
This is rapidly working its way up the list of my least favourite things in modern football.

To go from United at home, where a staggering amount of injury time was played, to several occasions where a ridiculously small amount of time has been added on, is infuriating.

What makes my blood boil more than any of that is when the ref blows up on the exact amount they indicated, regardless of what happened during injury time (probably doesn’t help that we usually need the extra time). Today was a prime example - he added three minutes on (ridiculous in itself) and then blew up on the dot despite a penalty during injury time, which must have taken at least a minute, if not more.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Newport scored in the 96th minute when the fourth official had indicated 4 minutes to be added on. I’m sure it evens itself out but it does feel like we’re being short changed at times.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Possibly, but we're not 4th from bottom due to chronological discrepancies.

No we're not but the whole time keeping thing is wrong in so many ways.

I've seen VAR decisions take fully five minutes out of a game and then the standard three go up on the board (not us). Man U was criminally over time. Newport was a bit over time, but we were the big side.

VAR is the worst though. They stand there for ever and never add it back on. If they did that properly then Newcastle could come to us for a 3pm Sat kick off post Covid and still miss the last train home.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The whole thing relies on the word of the person officiating, that they are adding the correct amount of time.

I don't buy that they blow when their watch hits the added time exactly. 9/10 full times happen after a goal kick or similar. So if they are making it up there, they are making it up for other things.

Independent timekeepers needed. Preferably stopped when the ball goes out of play. Everyone should be able to see the countdown

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Injury time in football is very underdeveloped... nowadays they got goal line cameras, VAR and all kinds of electric nonsense, but injury time remains a combination of gut feeling and tradition. "Big team is winning, no major injuries or brawls... ahh lets say 3 as usual". Should be updated somehow. All those VAR checks and stuff steal time that is rarely compensated for.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Long before VAR the arrogant whistler was doing as he pleased.

Often adding significant time on to added time when nothing else had happened. Look at me, I’m all powerful.

I said a couple of months back, that all time keeping needs to be taken away from the ref and fourth official. With every goal celebration, substitution, ref penalising time-wasting or a break due to a purported injury being accurately added on from the very moment they start. And NOT by rigid 30 seconds and minute’s increments.

If it ends up with 12:30 added on, so be it.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This is rapidly working its way up the list of my least favourite things in modern football.

To go from United at home, where a staggering amount of injury time was played, to several occasions where a ridiculously small amount of time has been added on, is infuriating.

What makes my blood boil more than any of that is when the ref blows up on the exact amount they indicated, regardless of what happened during injury time (probably doesn’t help that we usually need the extra time). Today was a prime example - he added three minutes on (ridiculous in itself) and then blew up on the dot despite a penalty during injury time, which must have taken at least a minute, if not more.

I can put it any better. Feels so wrong.

Completely agree.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
When City had that penalty, I thought ‘well, surely he has to add on at least another 40 seconds’. But no, added nothing, absolute pisstake when you consider the time that has been added on to our other games and that has cost us.

So poor from the ref. There’s no way that would’ve happened the other way around, he would’ve given them another bite of the cherry.

Makes me ****ing sick.

Wasn’t there a foul on the March towards the end too? Couldn’t tell, but it looked like something the ref would’ve given to City all game.

Funny how he didn’t give that foul on Tau before their goal either.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When City had that penalty, I thought ‘well, surely he has to add on at least another 40 seconds’. But no, added nothing, absolute pisstake when you consider the time that has been added on to our other games and that has cost us.

So poor from the ref. There’s no way that would’ve happened the other way around, he would’ve given them another bite of the cherry.

Makes me ****ing sick.

Wasn’t there a foul on the March towards the end too? Couldn’t tell, but it looked like something the ref would’ve given to City all game.

Funny how he didn’t give that foul on Tau before their goal either.

He didn’t scream like a 5 year old girl that’s why

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I don’t know how to embed a tweet, but another absolute classic in the Liverpool game yesterday.

Minimum of one minute added on at the end of the first half. 55 seconds in and Liverpool are through on goal, and the referee..... blows for half time!

Luckily I couldn’t care less about that result, but it’s a perfect example of how rubbish time keeping can influence results and ultimately finishing positions.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I did my referee training once - and one thing I learnt was a referee can never be marked / assessed on time keeping. Not sure if that happens in the Football League etc, but was certainly the case at grass roots

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don’t know how to embed a tweet, but another absolute classic in the Liverpool game yesterday.

Minimum of one minute added on at the end of the first half. 55 seconds in and Liverpool are through on goal, and the referee..... blows for half time!

Luckily I couldn’t care less about that result, but it’s a perfect example of how rubbish time keeping can influence results and ultimately finishing positions.

There is now no justification against having openness about how much time there is left.

The technology to do so is there ... and has been for 20 years.

The time on the refs watch can be displayed on a big screen in a stadium and on TV

Ref's won't like it and certain clubs won't like it

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Board goes up with X minutes to play. When this is complete, the fourth official blows his horn.
:vuvu:
End of.
Simples!

So then what happens when there are serious injuries, penalties or substitutions in that time?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Big clock, visible to all, either controlled by ref or independent timekeeper. 30 minutes each way, clock stops whenever the ball is not in play, and only starts again when the kick or throw is taken.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Big clock, visible to all, either controlled by ref or independent timekeeper. 39 minutes each way, clock stops whenever the ball is not in play, and only starts again when the kick or throw is taken.

That part of it is a fundamental change. Abandoning the notion a football match lasts 90 minuts couldn't be done lightly and would need agreement from IFAB and FIFA.

The refs watch being publicly available to view isn't a major change and could be implemented quickly, cheaply and easily ... if there were will to do so

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
Southampton at home game was ridiculous, watched it back on Sky and it took 4 mins 1 second from tackle (outside the area) being made to the ball hitting the back of the net and the ref played 4 mins injury time in total ...probably about 5 mins short I'd say with the amount of time wasting subs etc. I am nots saying we'd have equalised but who knows

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here