Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sri Lanka v England, Galle, First Test ****Official Match thread****

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Reminder this starts tomorrow 4.30am. Looking forward to having some cricket to watch. Not quite a first choice XI with Stokes, Burns and Pope out but with Sibley, Crawley, YJB and Root (plus probably Lawrence making his debut) top order looks ok.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Looking forward to seeing Lawrence. Players as unorthodox as he either do amazingly or awfully.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Reminder this starts tomorrow 4.30am. Looking forward to having some cricket to watch. Not quite a first choice XI with Stokes, Burns and Pope out but with Sibley, Crawley, YJB and Root (plus probably Lawrence making his debut) top order looks ok.

YJB: que?
Young Jonny Bairstow?
Yorkshire Jonny Bairstow?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I love a bit of cricket on at night. I can remember listening to Eng v WI when I was a kid.....”...and he’s up and he bowls, and he bowls to Larkins who leaves it alone outside the off stump. England are 43 for 2 and that’s the latest from Sabina Park”......

Happy days.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Not the same nowadays.

Nothing beats having a tranny under the duvet in the small hours, fiddling about on the knob for a squeaky signal.

The 5LiveX app destroys all the romance of yesteryear.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Not the same nowadays.

Nothing beats having a tranny under the duvet in the small hours, fiddling about on the knob for a squeaky signal.

The 5LiveX app destroys all the romance of yesteryear.
How did you smuggle her in?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Very much looking forward to this. Nothing beats test cricket.

The Aus v Ind series has been excellent but it's not the same as an England match.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I love a bit of cricket on at night. I can remember listening to Eng v WI when I was a kid.....”...and he’s up and he bowls, and he bowls to Larkins who leaves it alone outside the off stump. England are 43 for 2 and that’s the latest from Sabina Park”......

Happy days.
Then usually 124 all out.

West Indies 267 for 3 at close.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Happy days.

Larkins scored the winning runs in that Test Match (1990). Windies hadn't lost their in over 30 years.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
YJB: que?
Young Jonny Bairstow?
Yorkshire Jonny Bairstow?

Young [emoji106][emoji16]

Used to struggle at school during away Ashes series as I’d stay up all night listening to it under the bedsheets. For home series during the summer hols I’d always aim to get up 5 mins before play started and spend all day watching it.

Can’t best test cricket, still the best form of the game

My worst radio experience of cricket was when we got absolutely slaughtered by Greenidge and Haynes at Lords in 1984 (I think). Went into work with us ‘only needing to declare quickly and leave enough time to bowl them out’ or something and finally win after what seemed like a lifetime of batterings. Rush to the car after work for the journey, turn the radio on.....expectantly flick to the cricket and .........

.........in he comes, West Indies now 314-1 and closing in on victory.......

We’d set them something like 340 in less than 80 overs. Can’t lose [emoji23][emoji23] Greenidge brutalised the whole attack for a double century. Scoring at that rate in a test match back then was pretty much unheard of.

[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Last edited:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Wonderful Cricket ground ,grass banks right in Galle City centre . Stroll into town at lunch for a beer and some street food [and it was ok and i'm very fussy with stuff like that] Have a wander round the fort and still see the cricket from the battlements . Tuk Tuk back to the resort £3 and those drivers are mental. Tickets a snip at £1.50 a day ,would love to be there again

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Young [emoji106][emoji16]

Used to struggle at school during away Ashes series as I’d stay up all night listening to it under the bedsheets. For home series during the summer hols I’d always aim to get up 5 mins before play started and spend all day watching it.

Can’t best test cricket, still the best form of the game

My worst radio experience of cricket was when we got absolutely slaughtered by Greenidge and Haynes at Lords in 1984 (I think). Went into work with us ‘only needing to declare quickly and leave enough time to bowl them out’ or something and finally win after what seemed like a lifetime of batterings. Rush to the car after work for the journey, turn the radio on.....expectantly flick to the cricket and .........

.........in he comes, West Indies now 314-1 and closing in on victory.......

Oh God yes I remember that day. Mind you I also remember well the classic AWG ‘when they’re down they grovel’ series - that was particularly dire. I wasn’t really mature enough to fully appreciate Whispering Death and IVA

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Wonderful Cricket ground ,grass banks right in Galle City centre . Stroll into town at lunch for a beer and some street food [and it was ok and i'm very fussy with stuff like that] Have a wander round the fort and still see the cricket from the battlements . Tuk Tuk back to the resort £3 and those drivers are mental. Tickets a snip at £1.50 a day ,would love to be there again
Not been but the seafood is supposed to be rather good. Definitely on the list.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Galle absolutely beautiful. Wonderful venue

Looking forward to a good series, Hopefully SL put up a decent fight, unlike last time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here