Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who should take our penalties in the league?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well, obviously Pascal Gross should take them. Simple.

Though i'm going to look through the next "who would you pick for Man City or Leeds" type thread, and I bet I won't see Gross in too many of the teams. More importantly, he's far from a nailed on starter under Potter.

So if Gross isn't playing then who?

Maupay? How many has he missed for us now? 3 or 4?
Trossard? Errr, no thanks
Solly? Plausible
Dunky? Maybe, but what would that say about our strikers?
Lallana? If we can get him on the pitch i'd fancy him, but that's a big if
Davy? Took it nicely the other night, but generally not renowned for composure in front of goal

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We should just give the opposition a goal kick.
At least that way we won't get caught on the counterattack.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Maupay. He should be staying after training and taking 50 odd pens a day against Steele. Get it done.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think we're in an unusual situation.

Pascal Gross isn't currently worth a place in the team in my opinion.

However, there are so many penalties given these days, and our other players are so poor from 12 yards, (or so out of form), that I think we should be playing Gross primarily to score from the spot.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Dunk would be our top scorer by quite some distance if he was our penalty taker. Worryingly.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The Webster pen was good last night - and under pressure

Hmmm, really? Was it "a good pen"?

If the keeper goes the other way he picks it up. It's not like Adam gave him the eyes or stutters and waits for him to dive or anything.

The cardinal rule of shoot outs is score, so congrats Adam, you did it.

But watch a pen, from Vardy or Kane or Salah or Fernandes. The ones that thunder into the corners (often against us). Now those are good pens.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Maupay. He should be staying after training and taking 50 odd pens a day against Steele. Get it done.

I'm guessing he practices them plenty.

His problem is between the ears though, which means no matter how many he bangs in in Lancing won't count for much when the pressure is on

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maupay needs to decide how he’s going to take them. Think he’s trying a bit too hard to be cute. Run up and smack it and stop going for the ‘just inside the post’ thing.

Wouldn’t mind Dunky taking them, usually gives it a thump.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

His problem is between the ears though, which means no matter how many he bangs in in Lancing won't count for much when the pressure is on

This. Practicing penalties is usually quite useless. Each of the 22 players on the pitch knows how (yeah I know sometimes it doesnt seem like it...) to make a decent shot from eleven meters. 90% of the penalty is psychology.

Since Maup scored his against Wolves I'm guessing he will stay as the second option behind Gross for the time being... maybe. Not sure what would have happened if Lallana was on the pitch, he would be my go to guy. Dunk scored a nice one yesterday but feck knows if its sensible to put any more weight on his shoulders than there already is.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This. Practicing penalties is usually quite useless. Each of the 22 players on the pitch knows how (yeah I know sometimes it doesnt seem like it...) to make a decent shot from eleven meters. 90% of the penalty is psychology.

Since Maup scored his against Wolves I'm guessing he will stay as the second option behind Gross for the time being... maybe. Not sure what would have happened if Lallana was on the pitch, he would be my go to guy. Dunk scored a nice one yesterday but feck knows if its sensible to put any more weight on his shoulders than there already is.

Well, Dunk doesn't have anything like Maupay's ability to strike a ball accurately.

What Dunk does have is mega cojones

Balls counts more than ability from 12 yards, so Dunk over Maupay. (though Pascal has both)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Propper's penalty was our best - under the pressure of being knocked out if he missed - and he'll start games more often than not when fit. Give him the job unless Gross is on the pitch.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Agreed. I'm sure there's something between them, but it need a wobble and a reboot because it's not working very well at the moment . . .same can be said for a few players. That's down to management IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here