Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fixture Juggling? - The New Normal for 20/21?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I guess it makes sense, but it seems like very short notice for Fulham.
The Premier League clearly feels there is a need to be pro-active to avoid a late season pile-up of fixtures.

Part of David Ornstein's piece from The Athletic:

The Premier League is considering the possibility of postponing Aston Villa’s home match against Tottenham on Wednesday and replacing it with the fixture between Tottenham and Fulham that was called off on December 30.
Spurs are scheduled to visit Villa Park in two days’ time but the COVID-19 outbreak at the West Midlands club has put the contest in doubt.
The league has consequently suggested an idea that would give Villa time to resolve their problems and instead see Tottenham host Fulham, therefore fulfilling the rearranged game.
Fulham are understood to be unhappy about the proposal, given they played 120 minutes in the FA Cup on Saturday and are supposed to be welcoming Chelsea to Craven Cottage on Friday — although pushing the west London derby back to Saturday is being discussed.
The Fulham squad have been told to prepare for action on Wednesday but a final decision is yet to be made as coronavirus continues to cause headaches for England’s top flight.

https://theathletic.co.uk/2313623/2021/01/11/fulham-holding-football-soccer/

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I guess it makes sense, but it seems like very short notice for Fulham.
The Premier League clearly feels there is a need to be pro-active to avoid a late season pile-up of fixtures.

Part of David Ornstein's piece from The Athletic:

The Premier League is considering the possibility of postponing Aston Villa’s home match against Tottenham on Wednesday and replacing it with the fixture between Tottenham and Fulham that was called off on December 30.
Spurs are scheduled to visit Villa Park in two days’ time but the COVID-19 outbreak at the West Midlands club has put the contest in doubt.
The league has consequently suggested an idea that would give Villa time to resolve their problems and instead see Tottenham host Fulham, therefore fulfilling the rearranged game.
Fulham are understood to be unhappy about the proposal, given they played 120 minutes in the FA Cup on Saturday and are supposed to be welcoming Chelsea to Craven Cottage on Friday — although pushing the west London derby back to Saturday is being discussed.
The Fulham squad have been told to prepare for action on Wednesday but a final decision is yet to be made as coronavirus continues to cause headaches for England’s top flight.

https://theathletic.co.uk/2313623/2021/01/11/fulham-holding-football-soccer/

In principle sounds like a good idea given we’ll see a lot of games postponed and the ensuing fixture jam that will arise but EPL need to have a set of protocols deadlines that apply and are fair to all - min 5 days notice, min 48 hours between games or similar etc etc.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The PL will be having to choose between a selection of really bad options when it comes to the fixture rescheduling.

Clubs will just have to get on with it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I wish we didn’t have to play City on Wednesday, the players will be knackered!

Maybe.

I think we're throwing the game this Wednesday

Potter will work out who he wants to start for the Leeds game and make sure at least 6 of those aren't playing against City. Only the defenders will be forced to play both games, even then I expect to see Burn and Veltman start Wednesday, along with other fringe players, like Zeqiri, Ali J, Bernardo.

A more normal first team will line up against Leeds

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Maybe.

I agree. He effectively did the same v Arsenal, which arguably accounted for a strong second half against Wolves when they tired.

Would be very surprised if he throws everything at Man City. Leeds is the more winnable game, and our players from yesterday need resting for that.

Reasonable chance Man City might do the same and we still get a result with a mostly second string?

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Maybe.

Potter will work out who he wants to start for the Leeds game and make sure at least 6 of those aren't playing against City. Only the defenders will be forced to play both games, even then I expect to see Burn and Veltman start Wednesday, along with other fringe players, like Zeqiri, Ali J, Bernardo.

A more normal first team will line up against Leeds

I just hope that an eye is kept on damage limitation - goal difference could be important this year and ours usually gets dented by City.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The last minute fixture juggling has been confirmed by the Premier League.
Instead of Spurs playing Villa away on Wednesday, Spurs will now play Fulham at home.

I'm sure it won't be the last fixture that is switched at the last moment due to Covid-19.

[TWEET]1348613225152212993[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here