Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jason Steele, the Hero for Albion

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The saves didn't make him a hero. They just made him *not* a villain for his earlier howler.

I’ll be more generous and say from zero to hero, but he did also make some good saves and distribute the ball well too. From some of the posts on the match thread you’d think he’d been picked from the crowd to play (if there’d been one)

The terrible and the genuinely fantastic in one game, oh the drama. I, for one, bloody loved it, it’s why I love following the Albion.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Shame it unfolded the way it did. After his first half howler, I thought he looked alright. Claimed a couple of high balls and his distribution was excellent. And then he dropped that clanger. At least he redeemed himself. Those Albion penalties though... :facepalm:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Shame it unfolded the way it did. After his first half howler, I thought he looked alright. Claimed a couple of high balls and his distribution was excellent. And then he dropped that clanger. At least he redeemed himself. Those Albion penalties though... :facepalm:

Unfortunately that is Jason Steele all over. I am in a Whatsapp group with some England fans I go to games with, 1 is Sunderland, 1 is Blackburn and both were laughing when we signed Jason Steele and came with the warning that he always has some howlers in him... Last night pretty much backed up what they said - has some good attributes but will let you down

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He must have been thinking how many penalties he would have to save to compensate for the woeful penalty-taking of his out-field colleagues.

The answer being:-

Another one.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Redeemed himself within that game but unfortunately it just proved he should get nowhere near playing in the Premier league. The 96th minute mistake and the first half comedy of errors that lead to Dunk clearing off the line would have been 2 mistakes and 2 goals in a Prem game.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Why is everyone downplaying a magnificent performance in the shootout.
He saved 4 of 7 penalties, that is rare, proper saves too.
As an aside, Peter Shilton only saved 2 in his entire career.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'll Eden a guess it's something to do with the teeny tiny snaffoo in the 96th minute.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I'll Eden a guess it's something to do with the teeny tiny snaffoo in the 96th minute.

That happened.
He made up for it with a great performance.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Or the absolute clanger in the first half where Dunk saved his bacon.

Also the fourth penalty he was miles off his line, should have been retaken so he got very lucky there

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Or the absolute clanger in the first half where Dunk saved his bacon.

Also the fourth penalty he was miles off his line, should have been retaken so he got very lucky there

I think the message here is, never be a goalkeeper for Brighton and Hove Albion and expect any credit.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think the message here is, never be a goalkeeper for Brighton and Hove Albion and expect any credit.

Even in PL games, I can't remember to many clangers from Ryan or Sanchez, let alone 2 in a game that amount to what we saw from Jason Steele against a L2 side.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Just rewatched the pens again for a laugh. Was Steele getting gip from someone in the "crowd" behind or was he just shouting to himself?

He does make me smile, just by looking a bit like Michael Eavis (hero) in goal.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just rewatched the pens again for a laugh. Was Steele getting gip from someone in the "crowd" behind or was he just shouting to himself?

He does make me smile, just by looking a bit like Michael Eavis (hero) in goal.

I wonder if Ben Roberts was either watching the game from the stand behind that goal or had made his way there and Jason was psyching himself up by shouting/celebrating with Ben when the saves were made.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Kuipers one of the most popular players in our history.

Sanchez getting a lot of plaudits

Maty has been up and around the top of the player of the season charts for 3 years straight.

Stocky was very well thought of.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Good stat. Matty Ryan out of interest has saved 11(including from Rooney and Neymar) from 46. All our keepers are better at penalties than 'Shilton, Shilton, where's your wife?'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here