Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter was a terrible coach at Swansea too

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Saw someone post this on Twitter and lo and behold Swansea were the worst team in the Championship at defending set pieces when Potter was there. It’s clearly a huge weakness in his ability. Even Swans players saying how much they improved immediately when he left. The guy hasn’t got a clue when it comes to defending and the results it’s led to have sucked the joy and belief from our squad. The guy needs to go urgently.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...-under-17446895.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Uh oh that simp account that blew in with Potter will be flapping about now

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Potter is blagging a living as a Premier League manager.

Still annoys the hell out of me that we did the dirty on a club legend for this twerp.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Saw someone post this on Twitter and lo and behold Swansea were the worst team in the Championship at defending set pieces when Potter was there. It’s clearly a huge weakness in his ability. Even Swans players saying how much they improved immediately when he left. The guy hasn’t got a clue when it comes to defending and the results it’s led to have sucked the joy and belief from our squad. The guy needs to go urgently.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...-under-17446895.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Hughton was considered better defensively, except that under Potter the record has been similar. Did Hughton not have a clue about defending ?

Stats, eh ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Still annoys the hell out of me that we did the dirty on a club legend for this twerp.

See above, Hughton was no better defensively.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Listen as much as I think there are very valid criticisms of Potter, having 3-4 threads started after each game about why he should be sacked is rather strange behaviour, in my opinion.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Hughton was considered better defensively, except that under Potter the record has been similar. Did Hughton not have a clue about defending ?

Stats, eh ?

The guy clearly can’t coach a team to defend set pieces. Swansea were the worst in their division, we’re the second worst. Basics. Swansea had the huge fortune of us taking Potter off their hands and improved in that area immediately. They also finished higher up the table. Coincidence?

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I can genuinely not think of one professional manager that would get less out of this amazingly talented squad. Potter is an absolute joke.

Says the plastic paddy who still isn't over McGhee.

Great so you’ll be able to provide some links where I’ve discussed him in the past few years? If not pipe down grandad

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Stats, eh ?

Opponents are scoring more goals having only 1/3 rd of the possession they used to have.

Potter is a lot "Braver" in the way he approaches games than CH was because that's what he has been brought in for and told to do.

But is he a better defensive Coach. Most certainly not .

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Listen as much as I think there are very valid criticisms of Potter, having 3-4 threads started after each game about why he should be sacked is rather strange behaviour, in my opinion.

I totally agree. All the negativity amongst the fans isn't helping. I think it forced him to play a full strength team at Newport on a bad pitch. Risking injury when many should have been rested and saved for the fight against Relegation.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I can genuinely not think of one professional manager that would get less out of this amazingly talented squad. Potter is an absolute joke.

Oddly enough, there are myriad professionals and ex-professionals who flatly disagree with your assessment.

I'll go with them, thanks.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Who did Swansea sign since him as they are flying now and I always thought they should be doing better when he was there with the players they had . Rattling around mid table weren’t they

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hopefully the new NSC will have a thread ignore facility.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Opponents are scoring more goals having only 1/3 rd of the possession they used to have.

Potter is a lot "Braver" in the way he approaches games than CH was because that's what he has been brought in for and told to do.

This.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
surely defending set pieces is getting your head on the ball 90% of the time .....remember how many times muzz would get his bonce in the way at the near post , we miss him and duffy when defending set pieces and i'm not sure you can blame potter for our defenders being collectively thick enough to fall for the same shit game after game .

they think they're better than they are unfortunately.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Stats, eh ?

These are Potter's and Hughton's stats after 53 Premier league games;
Potter - W10 D22 L21 F59 A78 Points 52
Hughton - W15 D16 L22 F53 A75 Points 61

For the percentages of those 53 games
Potter - W 18.87% / D 41.51% / L 39.62
Hughton - W 28.30% / D 30.19% / L 41.51%

After 53 games, Hughton had a marginally better record. But the truth is there isn't much between them. It is worth noting that Hughton's record doesnt include the bad run of results at the end of that second season, which is largely what is held accountable for his sacking. The point I'm making is that prior to the bad run Hughton had, a lot of people were content for him to remain, and from the results that is largely where Potter is in terms of results/points.

Personally I think two decent managers having a similar records with our club, demonstrates how difficult it is to get a club to progress in the premier league. And begs the question, if you got rid of Potter who could realistically come in and do a better job. I think you would be looking for a miracle worker, one of those right place right time scenarios, but you can't plan for that you get lucky with them. I think we should keep faith with the plan, and let Potter build on what we have. Continuity is the only way to build consistency, and consistency is what you need if you want to progress in my opinion.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
These are Potter's and Hughton's stats after 53 Premier league games;
Potter - W10 D22 L21 F59 A78 Points 52
Hughton - W15 D16 L22 F53 A75 Points 61

For the percentages of those 53 games
Potter - W 18.87% / D 41.51% / L 39.62
Hughton - W 28.30% / D 30.19% / L 41.51%

After 53 games, Hughton had a marginally better record. But the truth there isn't much between them. It is worth noting that Hughton's record doesnt include the bad run of results at the end of that second season, which is largely what is held accountable for his sacking. The point I'm making is that prior to the bad run Hughton had, a lot of people were content for him to remain, and from the results that is largely where Potter is in terms of results/points.

Personally I think two decent managers having a similar records with our club, demonstrates how difficult it is to get a club to progress in the premier league. And begs the question, if you got rid of Potter who could realistically come in and do a better job. I think you would be looking for a miracle worker, one of those right place right time scenarios, but you can't plan for that you get lucky with them. I think we should keep faith with the plan, and let Potter build on what we have. Continuity is the only way to build consistency, and consistency is what you need if you want to progress in my opinion.

The for and against are interesting figures .... so GP is 'far worse defensively then Ch' for leaking a whole 3 extra goals which is more than made up for by the extra scored.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its a good job we're scoring so many goals, to make up for the defensive frailty.

oh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here