Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Let's give Newport some credit shall we?

Yoda

English & European
They really dug in, defended well and in numbers and made it extremely difficult for us to break them down. Well organised and drilled and can see why they have caused so many upsets on that pitch previously.

Who has it been in the past few years?
Leeds United
Middlesbrough
Tottenham Hotspur (drawn)
Leicester City

As well as Watford in this season's EFL Cup and then went on to take Newcastle to penalties too.

Yet some of our fans think we should've strolled up and tickled their bellies in a 4-1 win like Man City did (even though it still took them until the 89th minute to make it safe before getting a fourth). :down:
Any other team would've struggled just as much as we did tonight.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yet some of our fans think we should've strolled up and tickled their bellies in a 4-1 win like Man City did (even though it still took them until the 89th minute to make it safe before getting a fourth). :down:

So true.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
They were very good at what they did. They knew we had little aerial threat in open play so parked the bus and sat deep and knew full well that a bobble would tackle us at some point. That pitch was horrific. Yes the finishing was poor but that was not easy.

the

Jul 25, 2018
London
They were okay. The gave Brighton plenty of space to shoot from outside of the box and put in crosses, but the boys failed to capitalize on that.

This was definitely more a Brighton playing crap, rather than Newport playing exceptional.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They took a PL team to penalties and deserve all the credit they get. At that point it's a lottery and if they had won it would be fully deserved,

Any other conclusion is self-entitled bullshit.

Home ground 12th man ? Oh do **** off, it's the cup.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
They did very well. Second best defensive performance I’ve see against us this season only to Burnley. Great keeping as well, keeper made 2 saves he had no right to get. Thats what we need at our level top performance.

The pitch stopped us playing with any real speed, but not going to moan about that after the Withdean years you use every advantage you can get.

I think it shows how easy it is to defend against potters tactics though for all the nice build up play and knocking the ball about theres never anyone getting in and behind their backline or down the flanks. Without Lamptey its like ****ing with a limp dick.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
They did very well. Second best defensive performance I’ve see against us this season only to Burnley. Great keeping as well, keeper made 2 saves he had no right to get. Thats what we need at our level top performance.

The pitch stopped us playing with any real speed, but not going to moan about that after the Withdean years you use every advantage you can get.

I think it shows how easy it is to defend against potters tactics though for all the nice build up play and knocking the ball about theres never anyone getting in and behind their backline or down the flanks. Without Lamptey its like ****ing with a limp dick.

We never play with any speed

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
They really dug in, defended well and in numbers and made it extremely difficult for us to break them down. Well organised and drilled and can see why they have caused so many upsets on that pitch previously.

Who has it been in the past few years?
Leeds United
Middlesbrough
Tottenham Hotspur (drawn)
Leicester City

As well as Watford in this season's EFL Cup and then went on to take Newcastle to penalties too.

Totally agree, but it’s not the NSC way is it? Many posters on here only ever seem to look at our mistakes and are never willing to consider the quality of performance from the opposition. Look at the previous post mortem - it was all about Dan Burn, little credit to Adana Traore. It makes me think about that entitlement thread a couple of weeks ago.

The key for me yesterday was Tom King. What a superb performance.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Agree with the first points. I also noticed how players were reluctant to shoot because the ball was bobbling about everywhere.

However, we did have players getting in behind on the flanks (this wasn’t really possible in the centre as they had so many bodies). The balls put in were either poor or the shots were saved by a keeper on fire.

Newport’s cup record suggests we did well to beat them.

Just two huge individual errors from us (discarding all the wayward shooting) from Dunk & Steele. Not much threat other than that apart from a well saved shot through players legs from Steele.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A proper cup tie . . . . Home team, home paddock, keeper having a worldie day, they're used to playing a style that upsets a more refined style of kick ball.

None of it masks the fact we're still a work in progress and not capable of winning games.

GP is correct in saying it was trumatic . . . although as a seasond BHA supporter, it was also hillariously entertaining. another reminder of 90's comedy football. It ,had it all.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The other thing Newport deserve credit for was not diving in. We had very few set piece opportunities.

Our penalty shoot out record is phenomenal. I am sure I am not the only one to assume we have the worst penalty takers on the planet.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The other thing Newport deserve credit for was not diving in. We had very few set piece opportunities.

Our penalty shoot out record is phenomenal. I am sure I am not the only one to assume we have the worst penalty takers on the planet.

Propper and Gross. cool calm ( they have brains)

Trossard was emabarassing, I've seen 10 year olds take better penalities. Maupays was barely any better.

Bissouma . . . . tired, a bit cocky maybe.

Webster kept his cool.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A proper cup tie . . . . Home team, home paddock, keeper having a worldie day, they're used to playing a style that upsets a more refined style of kick ball.

None of it masks the fact we're still a work in progress and not capable of winning games.

GP is correct in saying it was trumatic . . . although as a seasond BHA supporter, it was also hillariously entertaining. another reminder of 90's comedy football. It ,had it all.

That it was but from comments during the match I don’t think many of our fans saw it that way, well apart from the “can’t win a game bit” :lolol:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Propper and Gross. cool calm ( they have brains)

Trossard was emabarassing, I've seen 10 year olds take better penalities. Maupays was barely any better.

Bissouma . . . . tired, a bit cocky maybe.

Webster kept his cool.

You missed off our best penalty taker. Dunk always scores and convincingly. This modern idea that strikers need to take penalties, feels like it is almost a superstitious belief. Aside from Hemed, none of our forwards have been entirely convincing from the spot.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The night summed up 20210111_083927.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here