Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Claiming benefits

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Hi All

My neighbour is a disadvantaged guy in his fifties, his dad has died and his mum is in a care home with dementia. He has never worked and is a quite shy, unconfident person. He has never claimed any benefits of any sort and to be honest I doubt other than council tax he is really in the system at all. He keeps himself to himself, goes for a daily walk but other than that lives a solitary life. A few neighbours and I are concerned about him as he gets older and may need to move / get some support. Does anyone know how to get someone into the system? Not necessarily solely to claim benefits, but for care and support, making sure he’s not overpaying on council tax and so on. I’m fortunate enough not to have had to get involved with any of this myself so don’t really know where to start. If anyone has any pointers I’d be grateful.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Hi All

My neighbour is a disadvantaged guy in his fifties, his dad has died and his mum is in a care home with dementia. He has never worked and is a quite shy, unconfident person. He has never claimed any benefits of any sort and to be honest I doubt other than council tax he is really in the system at all. He keeps himself to himself, goes for a daily walk but other than that lives a solitary life. A few neighbours and I are concerned about him as he gets older and may need to move / get some support. Does anyone know how to get someone into the system? Not necessarily solely to claim benefits, but for care and support, making sure he’s not overpaying on council tax and so on. I’m fortunate enough not to have had to get involved with any of this myself so don’t really know where to start. If anyone has any pointers I’d be grateful.

It’s great that this guy has lovely neighbours like , will he be receptive to help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Hi All

Where does he get his money from ?
Also is there any reason can’t get a job ? Surely that would be a better option than claiming benefits?

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I think the first thing to do is to inform your local council’s social services department. Of course the individual concerned may not want to engage with any support, but you will have done your best to assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Also is there any reason can’t get a job ? Surely that would be a better option than claiming benefits?
Probably, but try finding one at the moment. Everywhere is shut.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
It’s great that this guy has lovely neighbours like , will he be receptive to help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A couple of years ago, no, but he’s really come out of his shell recently and an elderly neighbour (who used to work in social services) has worked wonders with him getting him involved with stuff and getting him running errands and helping in her garden. He’s got much more to offer than he initially shows.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

Physically, no reason he couldn’t have a job, but the reality is he’s never worked (reclusive parents apparently who ran a forge and owned some property and had a bit of money) and never been mentally mature enough to work. I’m told his dad tried a bit but never got anywhere. I get the feeling he’s just one of those people who was written off as child / young adult in the days that anyone a bit different was either locked up or forgotten.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hi All

Are you allowed to say what Borough you're in :thumbsup:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Hi All

I'm glad you asked the question. Two thoughts :

For your neighbour living alone :

From the sounds of it, your neighbour should at least in his own right get the 25% singles person Council Tax discount and possibly if no direct income then presumably be able to make a claim for Universal Credit (unless personal savings exceed £20k). Also depending upon health its vital to be registered with a GP as all sorts of other support is available from home visits to help with finances, care, and there is a Proactive care team that can be really useful too.

In relation to your neighbours mum now in a home :

Watching the Martin Lewis programme before Christmas he mentioned that a person registered as having dementia can claim an exemption from Council Tax. He or she needed to be in receipt of one form of benefit (such as Attendnce Allowance for example). For my father and largely full time carer I filled out the simple Adur Council claim forms dating back to June 2018 (when he was first diagnosed) and got the GP surgery to stamp and sign 'Part B' of the form. Hey ho, last week my dad got a refund of nearly £5000 dating back to June 2018, and he no longer has to pay his £180 per month Council Tax. My dad didn't want me to make a fuss and nearly stopped me from making a claim but now having had this refund we can use this money saved to help pay for a little more private care for him in his bungalow. As I have power of attorney it was really simple, but it's possible too that your neighbour's mother might be able to make a retrospective Council Tax exemption claim or ny someone acting on her behalf, even if she now is in a care home. Who knows any retrospective refund could be useful to her in the care home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here