Newport County v Albion

FA CUP - THIRD ROUND

Venue: Rodney Parade
Date: Sunday 10th January 2021
Kick-off: 19:45 GMT
Referee: Lee Mason
Assistants: Mark Scholes, Timothy Wood
Fourth Official: Robert Lewis

South African forward Percy Tau could make his first Brighton appearance two and a half years after joining.

Tau, 26, who has 28 international caps, has secured a work permit after loans with three Belgium clubs and has been recalled by Brighton from Anderlecht.

Hosts Newport have midfielder Joss Labadie, defender Kyle Howkins and striker Ryan Taylor fit after injury.

Taylor has been out since early October with a hamstring tear and Howkins (hamstring/groin) since September.

Brighton's former Newport defender Ben White could return to his old club if selected going into a busy week for Graham Potter's Premier League side.

White played over 50 games for the Exiles during a loan spell in 2017-18.

Newport, second in League Two, have enjoyed success in the FA Cup in recent seasons and will hope to add Brighton, 17th in the Premier League, to their list of scalps that includes Leeds United, Middlesbrough and Leicester City.

The Exiles also beat Brighton in a League Cup match at the Amex Stadium in 2013 and have also recently impressed in FA Cup games with Tottenham Hotspur - who they held to a draw - and Manchester City.

"Newport have done brilliantly in terms of their cup record," Potter warned. "It's a challenge for us."

Potter says he will look to mix youth and experience at Newport as Brighton face three away games in six days beginning with their visit to Rodney Parade before trips to Manchester City and Leeds.

Right-back Tariq Lamptey remains out, as do forwards Danny Welbeck and Aaron Connolly, while Adam Lallana is ill and unlikely to recover in time.

Newport boss Michael Flynn has seen his squad depleted this week by loan recalls.

They have signed striker Owen Windsor on loan from West Bromwich Albion and hope to do more business, but Aaron Lewis, Bradley Webb, Brandon Cooper, Saikou Janneh, and Scott Twine have all returned to their parent clubs.

Newport and rugby union side Dragons, who also play at Rodney Parade, have moved to ensure their weekend fixtures will not be postponed because of the cold weather by investing in a dome cover for the pitch.

Newport's meeting with Brighton comes one day after Dragons host Ospreys in the Pro14.

Match Stats

• [*=left]This will be the fourth FA Cup meeting between Newport County and Brighton, with Newport winning the first 3-1 in November 1948, before losing 8-1 in November 1955 and 2-1 in November 1966.
    [*=left]This is the first meeting in any competition between Newport and Brighton since August 2013, when the Exiles won a League Cup tie 3-1 at the Amex Stadium.
    [*=left]Newport County have reached at least the FA Cup fourth round in two of the past three seasons, though they were eliminated at this stage last season (3-0 v Millwall).
    [*=left]Brighton were knocked out at this stage last season by a side from a lower division (Sheffield Wednesday) - they've not been eliminated from consecutive FA Cup games against lower-ranked sides since a run of four between 1994-95 and 1997-98.

Graham Potter's Newport County Press Conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rTHGNiDT2Y

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
About bloody time, I got up at 6.15 this morning with a hangover to watch this bloody game!!!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I discharged myself from the Covid ward to bring you this thread. I feel ****ing awful!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Newport County vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Anyone else completely :shrug: about this game, or just me?

I agree, this cup game also feels like a lose lose. We’re expected to win, and anything less would be treated as disaster. And if we win it’s a given. More concerned about getting points in the league.

That said, it’ll be good to see Mac back in the team, and maybe a glimpse of Percy Tau, and I have a suspicion Potter may field some of our u23s, so that will be interesting.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I discharged myself from the Covid ward to bring you this thread. I feel ****ing awful!

You’ve discharged yourself from hospital whilst still feeling shit? Is that sensible?

Get well soon :thumbsup:

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
BT selected this game because they could smell a giant killing coming. I still think we'll just squeeze it. Just.
4th season in the top flight, blue shirts, relegation scrap, the stars have aligned, it's looking like an FA Cup run.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Looking at the rugby played on the pitch last night, the Albion players might be advised to take their ice skates.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
GP has said mainly youth players with a few experienced. Team will look something very similar to this.

Walton / Steele

Yapi
Veltman (c)
Burn
Bernardo

Sanders
Jenks
Weir

Jahanbaksh
Zeqiri
Gwargis

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports