Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Musical Geniuses

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
On the back of the Elvis/Bowie birthday yesterday, the age old debate who or who isn’t a musical genius?

Few names to throw into the mix who have left us, Bowie, Amy Winehouse, John Lennon, Ray Charles, Freddie Mercury , George Michael, James Brown and Elvis.

Any others?

But who’s a genius and who isn’t?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The incomparable Syd Barrett
Steve Marriott
Jimi Hendrix
Gerry Rafferty

Living

Jackson Browne
Neil Young
David Crosby
Van Morrison
Stephen Stills
Barry Gibb
Bob Dylan

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
John Lennon - the lyrics, the music and its many hooks, its variety, the way his music completely changed several times. A creative genius.

Bob Dylan - again the lyrics and tunes, (with Bob Seger) years ahead of his time. Such a catalogue, songs handed to his mates. Reflecting his time, which were a changin.

Probably an unpopular one on NSC ... Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson - creating a huge catalgue of incredible pop songs, some dance classics, some bittersweet love songs, over a long period.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Robert Johnson. Rumour has it when John Lennon first heard his music he asked who the ‘other’ guitarist was. Spoiler alert, there is no other guitar player. Add the whole “sold his soul to the devil” mystique and I say that’s pretty awesome. And of course Bob Dylan is the greatest song writer ever in my book so I’d also class him as a genius.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Stevie Wonder, Kate Bush, Paul Simon, Chuck Berry, Buddy Hollie, Ray and Dave Davis, Nial Rodgers, Sir George Martin.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
On the back of the Elvis/Bowie birthday yesterday, the age old debate who or who isn’t a musical genius?

Few names to throw into the mix who have left us, Bowie, Amy Winehouse, John Lennon, Ray Charles, Freddie Mercury , George Michael, James Brown and Elvis.

Any others?

But who’s a genius and who isn’t?

Anyone that is deceased isn't a genius, even if they once were. Is a songwriters lyrical content "musical genius" if the accompanying music is composed by others?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park. They created some of the most relatable lyrics to anyone who has/is suffering from depression, the monotony of every day life or anyone who just feels lost or misunderstood. Bennington's death was a huge loss to the music industry and I'm certain his music helped millions out there, me included.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here