Attachments

• gus.jpg
    gus.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 371

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Massive shame how things ended with Gus. Absolute legend at the time.

It's hard to say whether he could have been a top manager in the game if it wasn't for his personality flaws, or whether the conditions were just right when he joined us in League One.

Either way, still consider him a legend for stuff like this, "we ****in' brilliant" etc, though.

Convinced that it was Gus who laid the on pitch foundations for us to finally reach the promised land of the Premier League, so he should take comfort in that thought, despite the acrimony that was to come.

I always thought, even after he left us, that he would one day make it big as a manager, but fear now that his last chance for success has come and gone.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Unfortunately there was a huge personality clash, which had started previously at another club, there was no way forward with both parties remaining at the club, Tony made his choice and clearly history has proved him right.

I enjoyed the Withdean although we were always in the open. It helped that, at the time the, wife's work colleague lived just round the corner from us in T.Wells in and both her and husband were Brighton born and bred and season ticket holders. They knew a lot of people in the vicinity of Withdean so we always had a friend's drive to leave the car on a short walk away. Also wondering before each game "how many will Zamora get" aided our enjoyment!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Could have simply put his head in his hands, but decided to play to the crowd.

Nice football, but huge ego, sorry.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Albion fans in the away end that day, bizarrely (I was one of them!)

What? What? What?

How many? Assume you couldn’t get one in a home stand so found a way of getting one with them. They must’ve sold out, I really don’t remember though.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Me too! What a view. I don't know what the away fans were complaining about :lolol:

Are you saying there were away fans? I never saw any.................

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
What? What? What?

How many? Assume you couldn’t get one in a home stand so found a way of getting one with them. They must’ve sold out, I really don’t remember though.
The club decided to stick the Pompey fans in the east stand (can’t remember exactly why) and so for one time only - unless anyone can remember any other occasions - they opened up the away end to home fans. Thought it made sense to finally tick off every stand at Withdean, plus of course the novelty value of it. :clap2:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
The club decided to stick the Pompey fans in the east stand (can’t remember exactly why) and so for one time only - unless anyone can remember any other occasions - they opened up the away end to home fans. Thought it made sense to finally tick off every stand at Withdean, plus of course the novelty value of it. :clap2:

Totally forgot about that! I thought you meant you were in the away fans.

They may have given them the East Stand to allow them to have more tickets, we had to do the same for the game against FC United of Manchester. Think you have to give the away side 15% of the capacity if they can sell it.

I assume we sold out against Portsmouth, hence why the West Stand was open. Was there any ‘atmosphere’ over there? Were you all standing? I really can’t remember!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here