Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have a feeling this is definitely still happening , he will be a Brighton player soon. The delay in announcing is due to the new somewhat complicated processes regarding post Brexit visas and the delay in issuing them due to staff shortages !

Just a hunch ..,,

Think it’s more down to travel lockdown due to Covid than Brexit.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Really... ? he's straight in the squad as far as I am concerned. And if he is half as good as everyone seems to suggest he will be alongside Biss in no time.

To get in alongside Biss, he'll have to jump above Propper, Moder, Gross, White, Alzate, MacAllister and Lallana

Asking a lot of a 19 y/o

OK, also take the point that some of the above will play in different positions and one may be moved on.

But also from next season, presumably Sanders and Molumby will be competing for a spot there as well.

I see him more as a medium term purchase

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Really... ? he's straight in the squad as far as I am concerned. And if he is half as good as everyone seems to suggest he will be alongside Biss in no time.

As the poster above says, there are a lot of players in that position. Even Moder, for example, is not guaranteed to get in the team and his development is supposedly further along than Caicedo. Furthermore, it is going to be a huge step up coming from the Ecuadorian league to the Premier League. I'm not saying he won't/can't make that jump but I don't think it will be immediate.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
As the poster above says, there are a lot of players in that position. Even Moder, for example, is not guaranteed to get in the team and his development is supposedly further along than Caicedo. Furthermore, it is going to be a huge step up coming from the Ecuadorian league to the Premier League. I'm not saying he won't/can't make that jump but I don't think it will be immediate.

Agreed. Alexis Mac Allister was getting equally rave reviews on loan at Boca but it has taken him a whole year in the Premier League to get up to speed.

There is a gulf in quality between South American club football and the ridiculously quick Premier League.

If this one does happen, I feel we will need to be patient and let the lad bed in slowly.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
On Connolly I agree and think he should do exactly what Kane did and go out on loan again. He is clearly a big talent but looks like he needs to learn the game more which is not surprising considering he has only featured in 42 first team games in his career with a lot of those as sub. If he could get a few goals at a slightly lower level that could also do his confidence the world of good as a striker as well as getting into the habit and knack of finding the back of the net on a regular basis which he hasn't at the moment. I listed the other day, all of the top English strikers (except Rashford) have had a sustained period playing in the lower leagues, I think it's exactly what Connolly needs.

Re: Caicedo, he seems a prodigious talent like Lamptey so assuming he can get a work permit to play immediately, I would be surprised if he went out on loan.

Connolloy is ready now and is playing well in the premier league.

Getting plenty of time to develop and at his age , if good enough then old enough.

If we loan him then thats on the road to selling.

He's part of our first team plans and is looking good.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
No doubt the travel ban is having an effect on this one.

Will the club want to part with the transfer fee and start paying a salary indefinately when there is no fixed date for his arrival?

If an agreement is in place, then it makes sense to hold off on finalising until the travel ban is lifted, allowing Caicedo to continue playing for his current club until he joins us.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
No doubt the travel ban is having an effect on this one.

Will the club want to part with the transfer fee and start paying a salary indefinately when there is no fixed date for his arrival?

If an agreement is in place, then it makes sense to hold off on finalising until the travel ban is lifted, allowing Caicedo to continue playing for his current club until he joins us.

He just needs to travel via another country so it would only take as long as he needs to isolate in that country extra.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Interesting one. Already looks to have the ability to succeed, with the caveat that we've only seen video footage. We still don't know whether there's anything in the stories of him going to Belgium first, though I'd be slightly surprised in this case. We've shown before that we like to give our young signings time, whether that be by loaning them elsewhere- eg Mac Allister, Moder, Karbownik, Van Hecke- or just by not rushing them (Lamptey didn't get a game for months after signing, and that wasn't entirely due to lockdown: Zeqiri was similarly looked after).

If Caicedo does come over, and to us (rather than to USG), I imagine he'll be left in peace to train, get to know the squad, adapt to life in Britain, English football culture and so on, and then perhaps eased into the squad gently. That seems to be the Albion way. Patience is a virtue with younger players, and our squad has plenty of them. It's worth remembering that Harry Kane was loaned all over the place until he finally got a go in Spurs' first team squad, and certainly wasn't being talked about as the future of English football while he was spending months on end at Millwall and Yeovil. Perhaps some of Connolly's critics would do well to take that on board occasionally.

Your first paragraph might be stretching a few facts to make your point. Mac Allister was loaned until he qualified for a work permit rather than giving him time. Moder and Karbownik stayed with their clubs as part of the transfer deals and Lamptey was with us for little more than a month before lockdown, then played in our second match post lockdown.

But the point you make overall is spot on. We do generally seem to give our young players time to settle and rightly so. For most of them, Brighton and the Premier League must come as a helluva culture shock and as Zequiri said, the football is 10 times faster. Imagine do our jobs 10 times faster - long beyond me:)

Having said all that, I'm completely taken in by the buzz around this fella and hoping he'll go straight in to the first team squad (if he sings!).

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
He just needs to travel via another country so it would only take as long as he needs to isolate in that country extra.

I'm not sure the department issuing visas would be too happy if we told them we planned to ignore the government's travel ban.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I'm not sure the department issuing visas would be too happy if we told them we planned to ignore the government's travel ban.

It’s not ignoring it. Travelling via a third country and isolating in it for at least ten days before flying to the UK is within the rules I believe.

The rules also state those with residence rights (including a workers visa) can travel but have to isolate on arrival.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here