Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Wood Burners - price and installation advice

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm thinking of getting a wood burner for my front room. I currently have an open fire.

I'm sold on More heat efficiency, less use of logs, will look better, improve value of house, warmer house even if not burning apparently .

On other hand its expensive to install c £1700 , not exactly green, and there is something about open flames not behind a glass door ...

Any NSC experience, advice , thoughts ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
we had a good open fire, and went the burner route . . . . did some (online) homework, decided (as we knew for fact) our chimney was good and we didn't need a liner. bought a decent burner ( £900) from the fireplace shop in Shoreham . . . . used 1m flu on top, cemented in, and fabricated a closure plate bolted in 2 halves under the top of the fireplace opening, which closes it off. the front half is removable for cleaning and sweeping. 2 or 3 years in we're good as gold.

I did most of the work myself so probably no more than a grand. and a 5 minute job, obviously.

If you have a good chimney, that draws well, don't be fooled into the liner route is all I will say, expensive and unnecessary.

definitely better heat wise and efficiency wise. Also a good bit cleaner/tidier in the withdrawing room. :wink:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm thinking of getting a wood burner for my front room. I currently have an open fire.

I'm sold on More heat efficiency, less use of logs, will look better, improve value of house, warmer house even if not burning apparently .

On other hand its expensive to install c £1700 , not exactly green, and there is something about open flames not behind a glass door ...

I know you're not one of those that will insist that, because it's in The Guardian, it's lefty nonsense, but you might want to look at this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...iple-harmful-indoor-air-pollution-study-finds

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Its... not exactly green,

This one's green. Problem solved - go for it.

Laurel-Green-multi-fuel-Huntingdon-35-burning-logs_2-lb.jpg

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Owners of wood burners, stoves and open fires will no longer be able to buy house coal or wet wood, under a ban to be rolled out from next year. Sales of the two most polluting fuels will be phased out in England to help cut air pollution, the government says.21 Feb 2020

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Wood burners are actually starting to go out of fashion . Companies now charging plenty to remove them safely . Personally I won’t bother - just stick with gas fired central heating . Lots of radiator choices nowdays that look quite funky .

Leave the real fires to people that live in Alaska etc

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Absolutely love ours. Had it 5 years now. Don't use it everyday, only on cold weekends, and even them not each day. Yes they are not the most eco friendly and, evidently, healthy, but everything in small doses. Of course, if you find radiators charming, fill your boots.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Really, not aware. Trying to get someone to install ours was problematic as all the various companies we approached were over run with orders.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

Personally I would want to keep the open fireplace

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
In terms of advice, get a mate who is a chimney sweep:). Mine pointed me in the direction of a bargain price stove, and did all the fitting (plate, flue etc) - whole thing came to around £1200.

HankSkorpio

Jan 2, 2011
Eastbourne

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Owners of wood burners, stoves and open fires will no longer be able to buy house coal or wet wood, under a ban to be rolled out from next year. Sales of the two most polluting fuels will be phased out in England to help cut air pollution, the government says.21 Feb 2020

we're burning our own roof. 73 year old seasoned wood.

Do I win £5 ?

If a log burner is a toxic death trap, its a miracle our granparents made it through puberty burning coal in open fires in most rooms of the house. I don't deny the science for a second, but come on.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Wood burners are actually starting to go out of fashion . Companies now charging plenty to remove them safely . Personally I won’t bother - just stick with gas fired central heating . Lots of radiator choices nowdays that look quite funky .

Leave the real fires to people that live in Alaska etc

Nearest mains gas is 5 miles away, bottled forget it, we have oil central heating though cheaper last year prices are rising and generally expensive, live on a private country estate surrounded by woods. Free wood.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Do I win £5 ?

If a log burner is a toxic death trap, its a miracle our granparents made it through puberty burning coal in open fires in most rooms of the house. I don't deny the science for a second, but come on.

we've cut lots of other sources of pollution, now the relatively low level from open fires counts as a large proportion. so someone comes along and says thats got to be reduced.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Do I win £5 ?

I remember I made a twin chamber smoker and first BBQ I went to buy wood was quite supprised at the cost but then found wood brickets slow burning and cheap duly purchased what a terrable mistake how I didn't poison anyone heaven knows all the food had a rather plastic taste it was only then I investigated what these brickets were actually made from and its ingreadants included things like recycled chip board and marine ply I guess the taste was from the glues within these products

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
we've cut lots of other sources of pollution, now the relatively low level from open fires counts as a large proportion. so someone comes along and says thats got to be reduced.

Yep

We had a fire for approx 2 hours last night. first of the week.

Bad Zef.

Old boy over the road, in his 90's, ex Power station engineer, burns coal 24/7. I'm amazed Asbestositis hasn't got him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here