Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Amazon Fire Tablet

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Does anyone have an Amazon Fire Tablet?

With the lockdown in full swing I'm looking into the suitability of an Amazon Fire Tablet. I need something that can access Microsoft teams, emails, mymaths, YouTube et al. The ability to watch the odd thing on Netflix would also be beneficial. Seemingly all the kids work is going to be handwritten or web based so no need for Microsoft word.

Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Sounds like you need a laptop more than a tablet. There was another thread recently about budget laptops for kids.

Also I would only go for the Fire tablet if you're ok with it being very Amazon based...

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Fire tablets are much more leisure based rather than meant for work. Last year MS Teams definitely wasn't available on Fire tablets so presumably that is still the case.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Does anyone have an Amazon Fire Tablet?

With the lockdown in full swing I'm looking into the suitability of an Amazon Fire Tablet. I need something that can access Microsoft teams, emails, mymaths, YouTube et al. The ability to watch the odd thing on Netflix would also be beneficial. Seemingly all the kids work is going to be handwritten or web based so no need for Microsoft word.

Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

I have a Fire, but wouldn't advise anyone to buy one. The hardware is fine, but it only has the very limited Amazon app store. Yes, you can install the Google Play store (I have), but it's a pain, and you're still depending on their non-standard (partly crippled) Android operating system, so there are apps it refuses to run.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Amazon fire good for kids but sounds like you need a laptop . Plenty of decent budget ones - I like Lenova - a cheaper make but still decent quality . Make sure you have plenty of memory and a decent processor speed . Should get something suitable for around £500 - much cheaper than that and both the speed and memory are likely to not be adequate and this can get very annoying !

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I have a Fire, but wouldn't advise anyone to buy one. The hardware is fine, but it only has the very limited Amazon app store. Yes, you can install the Google Play store (I have), but it's a pain, and you're still depending on their non-standard (partly crippled) Android operating system, so there are apps it refuses to run.

Yes, the hardware is essentially a loss leader for Amazon to try and get you into more Amazon products, a reasonable Android tablet would be better

But for MS teams surely you need x86 platform, ie windows based. Could always use Zoom that will run on Android

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Yes, the hardware is essentially a loss leader for Amazon to try and get you into more Amazon products, a reasonable Android tablet would be better

But for MS teams surely you need x86 platform, ie windows based. Could always use Zoom that will run on Android

You can get Teams for both Android and IoS and even Chromebooks so doesn't need a "proper" computer.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Fire tablets are much more leisure based rather than meant for work. Last year MS Teams definitely wasn't available on Fire tablets so presumably that is still the case.

Its main use will be for the kids to login to their online lessons, which are broadcast via teams. If it has a decent web browser then I guess it should be accessible however none of their promotional videos show the use of any web browsers

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Amazon fire good for kids but sounds like you need a laptop . Plenty of decent budget ones - I like Lenova - a cheaper make but still decent quality . Make sure you have plenty of memory and a decent processor speed . Should get something suitable for around £500 - much cheaper than that and both the speed and memory are likely to not be adequate and this can get very annoying !

I don't want a laptop, no need to type anything just access the Internet and an email account

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I've got a Fire 8 HD.
I've got a work laptop that I'd do anything serious one so it was just for personal zoom/Skyping and at of web and TV viewing.

It is very Amazon driven but you can get YouTube,BBC apps, BT TV, Zoom, Skype and Now TV is coming shortly. It was very well reviewed and for £60 is much cheaper than the alternatives, I'd recommend if you weren't after a serious bit of kit

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The same price as the Fire HD10, but this has better hardware and is proper Android rather than the bastardised FireOS. Yes it's Huawei, but not affected by the Google ban (which will probably be repealed now Trump is out of office)

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hu...ey-ps14499-at-john-lewis-and-partners-3638484

I have two of the 8" version of this tablet (for young children) and they are great. I actually bought a Fire HD8 before and sent it back in frustration - mainly because it doesn't work with the Google Family Link tool.

Edit: just clicked the link and John Lewis currently out of stock at that price.

Available direct from Huawei for £180: https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/tablets/mediapad-m5-lite/buy/

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've got a fire HD 10.

Like others say it's more for leisure. Some apps aren't available in the app store but you can sideload google play if you're tech savvy.

I mostly use it as a portable TV which has been very useful

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Its main use will be for the kids to login to their online lessons, which are broadcast via teams. If it has a decent web browser then I guess it should be accessible however none of their promotional videos show the use of any web browsers
https://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ptops-for-kids

Read this excellent thread which quite firmly comes down on the side of a Chromebook.

A couple of years back I got Amazon Fire kids editions for my two who are now aged 6. They have been great up to now particularly for games and more leisure based activities relative to their age. As they get older the issue as other posters have mentioned is that you are restricted to Amazon's little pseudo android eco system. On first lockdown our kids school used some educational software called Purple Mash. To get that to work I had to do lots of fiddling about loading up APK files to just get Google chrome to run on it.

Fully expect to get a couple of Chrome books within next 18 months as should do enough of the job required without me worrying about the complexities of a full windows system that they could easy muck up.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
So, the Fire 8 HD is down to £39.99 and I was going to opt to get one for an 11 year old, mainly for a bit of Youtube / Netflix etc. Are they decent little tablets in this regard?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
So, the Fire 8 HD is down to £39.99 and I was going to opt to get one for an 11 year old, mainly for a bit of Youtube / Netflix etc. Are they decent little tablets in this regard?

They're fine for that, very good picture and decent sound and while not the best my understanding is that they're as good a quality as ones that are a far more expensive.
And I sideloaded Google Play so I could have Now TV on it and it was quick and pretty easy. YouTube, Netflix, Iplayer, All4 are all on there without having to do this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here