Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Tipping

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Something nice and light to debate whilst the American Civil War rages.

Tesco on line man turned up the other night, delivering at 8.15pm on a Sunday, Amy does all the on line shopping, but I helped both her and the driver unload the order.

At the end she naturally said thank you and then shut the door, I commented that she didn’t tip him, she’s thinks nothing of tipping, any number of takeaway delivery drivers but not the man from Tesco?

Surely tipping should extend to everyone who knocks the door bringing goods and services?

Do NSCers in general tip the Postie and the Binmen?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Where would it end?

Tipping Amazon delivery drivers?

Been getting supermarket deliveries regularly for years, never tipped once.

200.gif

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
No Tippy.
Pop any tips you have in an envelope and send them to Paul Barber to pay the subs for a new striker. We should be able to get Big Damo from Bevendean Barcelona between us all til the end of the season.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I tip in restaurants ( if there is no service charge ) but I'm with Amy on tipping delivery drivers. Hope she enjoys her abseil as an aside !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have never tipped supermarket delivery drivers.

Have always tipped hairdressers, cabbies (unless taken on an unnecessarily long journey, been sat in a smelly cab or been given a political lecture), restaurants and cafes (unless service was awful or service charge already applied).

Postie gets a Christmas tip. Binmen not been since before Xmas so they can do one this year.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I tip the supermarket delivery guy, but the Mrs doesn't. I tip other deliveries if the item is large or awkward, the Postie gets one at Christmas, the bin men used to, but since they became much more jobs worthy, (removing a bag of rubbish and leaving it, if it stops the lid on the wheelie bin from closing fully) and sending me on a mission most Wednesdays to find my wheelie bin half way up the street, they don't.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No. She’s right not to tip in this case. This is the U.K.
besides if we tipped everyone that delivered I’d basically be standing at the porch h axing out fivers. He gets paid. If it’s not enough, get another job.

Barber, restaurant staff, barman on the first round and last round, hotel concierge in decent hotels.
Don’t even tip taxi drivers now, they’re ****ing useless in Brighton. Morons who don’t know one end of Brighton from the other. A d charge a fortune. Uber should eat them alive.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There is already a charge for the delivery itself, so a tip is just adding to the overall cost of the order.

If the service was being run by a small business and the delivery elemenet of the service was giving me something for free, which was specifically valuable for me, then sure I'd tip.
But giving a tesco's employee some of my cash for doing exactly what they are paid for (which I have already paid for) I don't understand why anyone would.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
My son is currently a delivery driver for Morrison’s whilst his usual work is not available (he’s a musician).

He gets the very occasional tip but not many.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I might be wrong, but I was under the impression supermarket staff are not permitted to take a tip?
That was certainly the case when I worked at Sainsbury’s, albeit that was during the last millennium!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The post and Amazon delivery people don't hang around these days. When I see the postie we talk football (he's a Spud) and it would feel weird to tip him. Binmen no; there are 7 of them and whoever found the envelope would trouser it, I suspect. Also they have a habit of leaving little piles of broken glass on the street and I've ended up with shards in my bike abd car tyres. Yes I have complained. So they can do one. The rest, cabs, barber etc., always tip.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Tommy Cooper used to give Taxi drivers a Tea Bag so they could have a drink on him

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There is already a charge for the delivery itself, so a tip is just adding to the overall cost of the order.

You could apply that rationale to absolutely every service - they are paid, either directly or indirectly by you, for providing that service so why tip anyone ever?

We've never had a supermarket delivery so I can't answer from experience, but it doesn't feel like the kind of thing I'd tip for.

We had our first ever Just Eat order last week and I was mortified when I realised, a couple of minutes after taking the food in, that in my haste I'd not tipped. That said, the order was over 30 minutes later than JE said it was going to be when I placed it - they seemed to be stuck at the "finding a driver" stage for a very long time - so I didn't feel like I'd received a particularly good service anyway.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Always tip takeaway delivery drivers, apart from that no. Used to give the paper boy a few quid at Xmas but don’t have a paper delivered any more.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
they seemed to be stuck at the "finding a driver" stage for a very long time.

Absolute bane of my life; I had to self-isolate recently and i still had a few days before my online shop was to be delivered. Greggs was less than a mile away for me. I ordered at 7:45, Greggs receive the notification and fulfill the order.

Delivery driver not found until 8:30, food doesn't arrive till 9:00 and the bacon and sausage sarnie cold and the coffee lukewarm....I got a refund on the first order, was told this was unusual and shouldn't happen again.

The mug I am did this for 3 days straight..

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Absolute bane of my life;

Delivery driver not found until 8:30, food doesn't arrive till 9:00 and the bacon and sausage sarnie cold and the coffee lukewarm....I got a refund on the first order, was told this was unusual and shouldn't happen again.

The mug I am did this for 3 days straight..

I would have changed to egg and bacon after day 1.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Cabs, Haircuts, Takeaways (in cash, not via the app), Bins, Post, Restaurants, yes.

Supermarket driver, no - but I would if they were coming into a block of flats or up stairs etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here