Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many people in the UK have had covid to date?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Just wondering, if 1 million people have covid right at this minute (based on the ONS survey), how many people have had it in the UK, in total, to date?

We must be getting up to a decent proportion of the population, a year into this. 25%? 50%? more?

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
50% or more would not be a surprise.

There have been a couple of studies among Healthcare workers, suggesting high levels of natural immunity, the implication being they have had exposure already.

https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(20)30781-7/fulltext

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034545?s=09

There are also antibody tests, and I'm tempted to get one as I'm pretty certain I had Covid in March.
I am on the register to volunteer to donate plasma, so they would have a good understanding of how many people have had it.

Last edited:

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
I'm surprised this isn't being talked about. So much focus on how many people vaccinated / how many can we vaccinate. Surely the other key issue is how many have had it already and therefore should have some immunity.

E.g. if 20 million are estimated to have had it that is 20 million we can add to the number of people vaccinated (although there will be overlap). I get these will be estimates but surely a key issue. The way vaccines are talked about fails to acknowledge such a huge number should already have some immunity.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
How do you go about getting the antibody test? A friend's wife was invited to and a courier came to collect the test. Do you just have to wait until you're asked?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
How do you go about getting the antibody test? A friend's wife was invited to and a courier came to collect the test. Do you just have to wait until you're asked?

Antibody test? You can get one of those down privately. Superdrug were doing them but they are not cheap.

Some people were randomly selected, my mate was.

Edit. Superdrug has relaunched them and they are much more accurate apparently.

https://onlinedoctor.superdrug.com/coronavirus-antibody-test.html

Last edited:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
50% or more would not be a surprise.

There have been a couple of studies among Healthcare workers, suggesting high levels of natural immunity, the implication being they have had exposure already.

https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(20)30781-7/fulltext

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034545?s=09

There are also antibody tests, and I'm tempted to get one as I'm pretty certain I had Covid in March.
I am on the register to volunteer to donate plasma, so they would have a good understanding of how many people have had it.

I think 50% is rather overcooked. Let’s call it 30 million people for the sake of the argument, if we end up with a death toll of 100,000 from everyone who’s had it to date that would equate to a case mortality rate of 0.3% which seems at odds with most data on that front. I imagine somewhere between 15% and 20% would be more realistic.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
If it was 50% noway we would see the numbers we are seeing today , I'd guess around 10%. We're an incredibly long way from here immunity and given the mutations I think by the time we got to hers immunity we'd be back to square one anyway.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just now 3m people in the UK have tested positive for coronavirus since the pandemic started.

An ONS survey in December found that those stats only account for 38% of cases, in the main because half of people with the virus have no symptoms at all.

So 3,000,000 x 100/38 = 8m.

This makes sense as the majority of folk have played by the rules, especially the elderly and the UK has ordered 10m’s of vaccines. Would they have bought that number if 10m’s already had herd immunity?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Just now 3m people in the UK have tested positive for coronavirus since the pandemic started.

An ONS survey in December found that those stats only account for 38% of cases, in the main because half of people with the virus have no symptoms at all.

So 3,000,000 x 100/38 = 8m.

This makes sense as the majority of folk have played by the rules, especially the elderly and the UK has ordered 10m’s of vaccines. Would they have bought that number if 10m’s already had herd immunity?
I suspect it's cheaper to vaccinate people than it is to test them for immunity and then decide whether to vaccinate them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I suspect it's cheaper to vaccinate people than it is to test them for immunity and then decide whether to vaccinate them.

I agree, and safer.

But guesses that 25m have had coronavirus must be way off the mark. That would mean only a tiny proportion needed hospital care or died .... as an aside, fitting the anti vaxers narrative.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
If 1.1 million people have it right at this moment, and it’s been around for a year, then we must be up to 10’s of millions.

If the ONS survey projections are in any way accurate.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Ok so this is Neil Ferguson in today’s Times.

His best guess- 30% of people have had it in London, 20% in the Northwest. 10-15% of the population overall. This is guesswork but would mean up to 10 million people with some sort of immunity already.

NF also says in his option having had it offers similar protection to having a vaccine.

With infection rates as they are at the moment, maybe we will have another 10 million before it reduces significantly.

So by March we could have 20 million with immunity from having had it, and 20 million more vaccinated (with some overlap). Which is about 60% of the population. In immunity terms this sounds very good and would surely see the hospital numbers and deaths fall dramatically.

This is why I feel that ‘natural immunity’ side of the story deserves more coverage. If we want to get to a point of less restrictions by March the natural immunity factor could be as big a contributor as the vaccines are.

8d09e16c8ae3e3780201f7bfc7a10b34.jpg

83fb2ac0450c02a24ee331c19ea95378.jpg

62bd8b3ff6b771b6c58df1c319231a58.jpg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

His best guess- 30% of people have had it in London, 20% in the Northwest. 10-15% of the population overall. This is guesswork but would mean up to 10 million people with some sort of immunity already.

NF also says in his option having had it offers similar protection to having a vaccine.

With infection rates as they are at the moment, maybe we will have another 10 million before it reduces significantly.

So by March we could have 20 million with immunity from having had it, and 20 million more vaccinated (with some overlap). Which is about 60% of the population. In immunity terms this sounds very good and would surely see the hospital numbers and deaths fall dramatically.

This is why I feel that ‘natural immunity’ side of the story deserves more coverage. If we want to get to a point of less restrictions by March the natural immunity factor could be as big a contributor as the vaccines are.

The overlap you mention would be ~6.6 million which reduces your 60% to 50%.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pleased that already over the course of this thread we've reached a more realistic number. My estimate, when reading the first post in this thread, was at the lower end of 10-15% across the nation as a whole.

I'm really not sure what you're suggesting here.

Extrapolating current death rates from the time these people likely became infected, tested positive and were subsequently hospitalised, and looking at infection and hospitalisation rates from the last week or so, suggests to me we could very soon be in the realms of 2,000+ newly reported deaths per day. The data is already suggesting that more people are now dying than previously which could be an impact of the burden on the NHS currently and that care is starting to suffer.

For "natural immunity" to be a factor by March, you are talking tens of millions of people becoming infected in a very short timeframe which would lead to an absolutely catastrophic loss of life even if the NHS could care for those that needed it, and it wouldn't be able to.

I'm sure you're not suggesting that but, as I started, I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

Vaccines are our way out of this.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Lots of maybes and possibles in your post and Ferguson’s clips, but **** all on the number of deaths caused by this approach!

Edit - in the post above this, Bozza put the argument a little more precisely and less emotionally than my outburst, but man people with your attitude make me so angry, effectively putting people to death in a rush to get back to “normality”.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
I’m just suggesting it is a major factor that doesn’t get much coverage in the press. I totally appreciate all the negative impacts of people catching it. Increased immunity in the population is probably the only positive.

However it happens I hope hospitalisation and deaths start to reduce as soon as possible.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Lots of maybes and possibles in your post and Ferguson’s clips, but **** all on the number of deaths caused by this approach!

It’s not an approach, it’s a naturally occurring and welcome side effect of our immune systems in a pandemic and one that needs to be taken into consideration.

But mention herd immunity in public and you just get accused of being Dr Mengele.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here