Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Albert Roux RIP

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yes but a decent innings and certainly left his mark on gourmet cooking.
I have eaten his grub and it was devine.
The Roux Bros are my type of chef, like Raymond Blanc, Marco Pierre White and the head chef at The Ritz (his name escapes me, Geordie bloke who came from a very poor childhood)
Good cooks ( and i mean cooks) like Ramsey, Martin, Oliver, Stein and so many more cannot hold a candle to Roux, its time they got off the TV and go and cook in your restaurant kitchen for your customers like real gourmet chefs do, like Roux did.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Roux Bros are my type of chef, like Raymond Blanc, Marco Pierre White and the head chef at The Ritz (his name escapes me, Geordie bloke who came from a very poor childhood)
Good cooks ( and i mean cooks) like Ramsey, Martin, Oliver, Stein and so many more cannot hold a candle to Roux, its time they got off the TV and go and cook in your restaurant kitchen for your customers like real gourmet chefs do, like Roux did.

Agreed....interesting how many of the current ‘top’ chefs were under his wing at some point. Almost everyone who is anyone.........

John Williams?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

A bit harsh on Ramsay, a guy who's earned more Michelin stars than the Roux brothers and has had a long career in restaurants. Yes, he's appeared on telly but then so have the Roux brothers (and son).

But yes, the Roux brothers did so much to transform the British culinary scene. London is now seen as one of the leading gastronomic centres of the world and that's due in no small part to the pioneering work of Albert and Michel.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I had the great pleasure of meeting and working with Albert & Michel Snr many times in an educational setting. They were truly inspirational and would always give time and attention, instruction and above all kindness to everyone who wished to learn. Their master classes were joyous in making the complex seem simple and achievable. To lose them both in the last 9 months is so sad but their legacy is immense

https://sales.resdiary.com/misc/celebrity_chef_mentor_protégé/images/mobile-graph.png

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Roast In Peace

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
A bit harsh on Ramsay, a guy who's earned more Michelin stars than the Roux brothers and has had a long career in restaurants. Yes, he's appeared on telly but then so have the Roux brothers (and son).

But yes, the Roux brothers did so much to transform the British culinary scene. London is now seen as one of the leading gastronomic centres of the world and that's due in no small part to the pioneering work of Albert and Michel.

I thought when I posted that someone would pick me up on Ramsay and his stars and I agree, you dont get them easily but and its only my opinion, if i am going to spend a lot of money on eating out and its a real treat then i would prefer to go to a top restaurant and have the chef actually cook it or someone under his/hers direct guidance in a one off restaurant.
Cooks like Ramsay have multiple establishments and its very expensive, it does not help that i cannot stand the man and he is never off the TV.
I have been meaning for many years to go to Raymond Blancs Le Maison in Oxfordshire for a weekend, chuffing expensive but apparently worth every penny.
I think that real chefs are either cooking or teaching and not telling everyone to F off or cooking wearing nothing but a willy warmer.
Sorry Gino.
As an example there is a restaurant not far from me on The Rame Penninsula called The View, extended from an old tea hut the chef, Matt Corner, who is from Sussex, is classically trained and does all the cooking at reasonable prices and it is great, there are many chefs around the country who are trained by Chefs like Roux that turn out the most delicious food.
I'm sure many on here have been to similar places.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Agreed....interesting how many of the current ‘top’ chefs were under his wing at some point. Almost everyone who is anyone.........

John Williams?

He should have got an award for the Jaws theme. Brilliant composer and part time cook.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There are 67 Michelin star restaurants in London and Tokyo has 226.
My point ? I dont have one.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

John Williams?

Yes it is.
There was a programme last year about the Ritz and a fair amount was about John and cooking.
He seemed like a really top bloke and an absolute artist.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

226, quite amazing given they don’t even bother to cook the fish.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
How do they get a Michelin star for just chucking some soy sauce on a bit of raw fish?

Edit, beaten to it by HT!

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Spot on.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I might knock up a Cheese Sauce tonight in tribute.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought when I posted that someone would pick me up on Ramsay and his stars and I agree, you dont get them easily but and its only my opinion, if i am going to spend a lot of money on eating out and its a real treat then i would prefer to go to a top restaurant and have the chef actually cook it or someone under his/hers direct guidance in a one off restaurant.
Cooks like Ramsay have multiple establishments and its very expensive, it does not help that i cannot stand the man and he is never off the TV.
I have been meaning for many years to go to Raymond Blancs Le Maison in Oxfordshire for a weekend, chuffing expensive but apparently worth every penny.
I think that real chefs are either cooking or teaching and not telling everyone to F off or cooking wearing nothing but a willy warmer.
Sorry Gino.
As an example there is a restaurant not far from me on The Rame Penninsula called The View, extended from an old tea hut the chef, Matt Corner, who is from Sussex, is classically trained and does all the cooking at reasonable prices and it is great, there are many chefs around the country who are trained by Chefs like Roux that turn out the most delicious food.
I'm sure many on here have been to similar places.

I went there some years ago in a party of ten. Just for the day. We had a driver. Needed it as we got through 15 bottles of Cloudy Bay at lunchtime. :mad:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Both the senior Rouxs helped transform London's culinary scene and their family get together shows looked great fun. You wouldn't have wanted to **** up the sauce at that family dinner. RIP

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Yeah, that's a fair point. I think it was harsh on Ramsay as he does cook in his restaurants but obviously not in all of them - he has spread himself rather thinly, rather in the same way that Paul Bocuse did.

Perhaps 'name' restaurants should have a different pricing policy depending on whether the main man (or woman) is in charge that day.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
How do they get a Michelin star for just chucking some soy sauce on a bit of raw fish?

Edit, beaten to it by HT!

There’s more to cooking than just root vegetables and mutton stew veg.

I’d want a Michelin star bacon pudding though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here