Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] IOC want vaccine priority for athletes so the Olympics can go ahead.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Can’t see this suggestion being popular, might have to knock the Tokyo games on the head again, and then start again in 2024 rather than clashing with the World Cup (if that even goes ahead in 2022)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The Olympics should be banned, don't think any major international sporting events should be held where there are a high number of people travelling from different countries due to the high risks, I doubt any country in the world will get its entire population vaccinated and most countries will only get the very sickest and elerly vaccinated. This includes Olympics, Euros, Champions League, cricket tours (unless held in sterile bubble environments).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The best way to get everything back to normal, including sport, is to vaccinate the vulnerable and their carers. As the R reduces and those most likely to die are protected I don't see why things can't go back to normal. Most under 50s will get a mild illness only. and health care systems will be protected.

Athletes and footballers should be last in the queue.

SAC

May 21, 2014
We are due to be vaccinating 1,000,000 a week, 250 athletes isn't going to make much of a difference. I can see why it would be bad PR but I wouldn't really have a problem with athletes going into the 5th priority group late in February. It could open up a can of worms though as other sport would ask for similar priority.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We are due to be vaccinating 1,000,000 a week, 250 athletes isn't going to make much of a difference. I can see why it would be bad PR but I wouldn't really have a problem with athletes going into the 5th priority group late in February. It could open up a can of worms though as other sport would ask for similar priority.

why athletes and not say publicans?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Disgusting suggestion. What next, the Premier League footballers? Talk about deluded. Disgraceful.

How many of them are over 60? How many of them are vulnerable? Nope, jog on then.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
The best way to get everything back to normal, including sport, is to vaccinate the vulnerable and their carers

Absolutely this, key workers and the vulnerable at the front of the queue. The vulnerable are the ones who are being hospitalised, I'm 29 years old - non-smoker, regular gym go-er with no underlying health condition other than following the Albion.

Statistically, I am unlikely to have severe symptoms. That said, that doesn't mean I am not going to social distance, wear a mask and sanitise regularly - far from it, that's my duty to my fellow people. However, I can contribute towards keeping the economy going by shopping local and dining local. We have done what we can in terms of ordering a takeaway (and a takeaway pint!) from our local pub when we could, but it is not the same as having bums on seats.

The UK hospitality and SMEs are going to feel this for a very long time; and the economy is not going to rebound as quickly as others believe. Tax rises are likely, and those who only just survived this pandemic may well fail during the recovery period.

Vaccinate and shield the vulnerable, allow us to continue and do what we can.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Yes, once the over 65s and those with certain health conditions have been vaccinated then scrap all the restrictions. Get everything back to normal again.

That could be around March/April.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Any fit, young, strong people getting a jab ahead of vulnerable, exposed, weak, elderly people should be ashamed.

‘Professional’ athletes can fxxx right off!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Haha in your dreams IOC.
Sorry our teachers need to be far far far ahead of your handball and badminton players. Even your beach volleyball ists

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No way. Prioritised list groups look about right to me, they can wait their turn (particularly as they are pretty much all in groups that are statistically extremely unlikely to get seriously ill).

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
From a British point of view, by June all the vulnerable will have had their two doses, so they won’t be affecting them.

They could do what the politicians did: jump the queue but sell it as a PR stunt to encourage waverers.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Can’t see this suggestion being popular, might have to knock the Tokyo games on the head again, and then start again in 2024 rather than clashing with the World Cup (if that even goes ahead in 2022)

Don't they take enough drugs as it is?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here