Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football grounds and redevelopment.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wasn't there a restriction or covenant or something on the east side that meant they wouldn't be allowed to build anything sizeable there?

What like a giant shit box full of tat, or a chlorinated chicken food outlet? :nono:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I actually did end up sustaining a serious(ish) injury during that game. If I remember correctly it was a Saturday night and I'd gone over to my mates house mid-afternoon where I'd planned to watch the game as his mum was working. I would've been 15 so we'd been to the local off license to get a load of beers in having saved my school dinner money up for the week. A tenner could get you a fair few beers in those days, and back then getting served wasn't a problem so long as you weren't wearing a primary school uniform.

Anyway, the plan was scuppered just before kick-off as my mate's mum came home from work early and (understandably) kicked off when she found four pissed up teenagers and a living room full of empty beer cans.

With no choice, I sauntered off home to watch the match and attempted, and failed, to put on my best not-pissed impression. My mum and dad had guests over so I was forced to sit on a dining chair in the corner of the living room. When Shearer nodded us in front I ran forward instinctively and jumped into the air.

"Fúck me, that hurt". I fell to the ground, with my old man telling me to stop pratting about, you daft little see you next Tuesday. It then transpired that as I'd jumped up, I'd stuck my head straight into the middle of my mum's chandelier ceiling light, which had a great big spike hanging down in the middle of it - not dissimilar to this affair:

View attachment 132164

I was pissing blood, and my scalp required 8 or 9 stitches but I wasn't going until the game had concluded - we were beating the Germans! I insisted on another beer to help with the pain in the meantime which with hindsight wasn't a very clever idea given the reasonable amount of blood I had expended. I eventually arrived in A&E later than night as a heavily intoxicated 15 year old, wearing a Terry Butcher-style blood soaked England shirt and a gaping head wound, like some kind of England yob cadet. Certainly not a great look.

Anyway, I was happy enough - we'd beaten Germany and we only needed to beat Romania to get through the group stage. I forget who we played in the quarter finals...

Chandelier in the living room......someone is doing alright!

You're right it was a Saturday as I did the couple of quick beers after work on the Friday.....I've got two weeks off!! You can join the dots yourself, I missed my eurostar out. Thankfully the girl behind the jump at Waterloo was an Albion fan and when she spotted my pin badge she changed my ticket free of charge.

And don't mention the quarters, I was meant to be staying out there for them. The days inbetween the Germany game and the Romania game I spent in Brussels getting chased about by mad turks with big knives and the night they qualified guns which they were driving around firing out the windows. You would have thought you were in the middle east not the capital of Europe!!

I'd just about had enough with the place then the Romania debacle happened so maybe I should be thankful to Phil Neville!?!? Thankfully I was able to change my eurostar and came home the next day and wasn't fussed about the however many nights I'd already paid for at the hotel.

I'm sure Brussels is a wonderful city but to this day that is my one only visit to the place and I vowed never to go back then. Think enough water has passed under the bridge now to give it another go.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
I find it strange to think that Shef U had a three sided ground until 1975. I knew they played cricket at Bramall Lane, but in my mind I had that in the 1930's. Shef U were never a Northampton Town size club. I remember Northampton not having stands all the way around but Shef U ! Goes to show.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
I find it strange to think that Shef U had a three sided ground until 1975. I knew they played cricket at Bramall Lane, but in my mind I had that in the 1930's. Shef U were never a Northampton Town size club. I remember Northampton not having stands all the way around but Shef U ! Goes to show.

Apparently the last cricket played at Bramall Lane was a Roses match against Lancashire in August 1973. Pics show it as it was some time after 1966 when the stand behind the goal was opened, and then soon after the completion of the new main stand in 1975 with the old cricket pavilion still standing.

BRAMALL.jpgLANE.jpg

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Apparently the last cricket played at Bramall Lane was a Roses match against Lancashire in August 1973. Pics show it as it was some time after 1966 when the stand behind the goal was opened, and then soon after the completion of the new main stand in 1975 with the old cricket pavilion still standing.

View attachment 132193View attachment 132194

Ah I see. Great photos. So looks like they did have stands all the way around, as the football ground was joined onto the cricket pitch. Looks like the pavilion was for both football and cricket. I miss these quirks in grounds. Our very own Soldstone had the East Terrace that was different heights and the West Stand only went three quarters along the pitch. Still at least we still have a wonky roof over the North Stand :clap2:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Years in discussion, Leicester have finally announced plans to expand the King Power.

Doubling the east stand (opposite the main stand) from 8,000 to 16,000 seats, taking capacity to 40,300.

[The Amex WS holds 11,833].

Can’t find any images of their plans.

The owners have just spent £95m on this new training complex and academy.

E7E583DB-336A-4E0C-A165-90BF91C73A3B.png

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Been to Northampton Town for both cricket and football and for a football match when pretty full it was a bit tight and then the far side empty. Never been to Sixfields. hotel end.jpg

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Years in discussion, Leicester have finally announced plans to expand the King Power.

Doubling the east stand (opposite the main stand) from 8,000 to 16,000 seats, taking capacity to 40,300.

View attachment 139046

Did they say how much of the £95m was spent on getting the lens flare right?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

View attachment 139046

Feel like I’ve seen this somewhere before?!

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/leicester-king-power-stadium-expansion.2103979/page-13

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here