Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football grounds and redevelopment.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Watford relocate ? I thought they had only just built their new East stand a few years ago ???

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I thought the Wolves plans were dropped years ago... it was the project of their former owner, who himself was a developer. After the Fosun group took over, the stadium building seemed to stop.

It was a good plan, whereby the whole stadium could be redeveloped one stand at a time: Rebuild the North stand (which they did), then the East stand, then add a second tier to the existing South bank, which would make all three stands into a continuous 'U', rather than being three separate stands. Then there was the option to redevelop the main stand at a future date to turn it into a fully enclosed stadium.

If you ever attend Molineux, you will notice that the East stand roof underhangs the 'new' North Bank, and hence some of the top corner seats in the North Bank cannot be used. This was because the East stand was next on the list to be demolished... it was not anticipated at the time of design that the project would be stopped before the first two stands were redeveloped.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
The very first stand in the video - the main stand at Bramall Lane - is interesting. I can remember when it was first built over the cricket pitch in the mid-70s to make it a four-sided ground at long last. But it cost so much that they couldn't afford to spend any money on the team and eventually dropped all the way from the old first division to the fourth, very much as Wolves did when they started to redevelop Molineux around the same time.

Yoda

English & European
I thought the Wolves plans were dropped years ago... it was the project of their former owner, who himself was a developer. After the Fosun group took over, the stadium building seemed to stop.

It was a good plan, whereby the whole stadium could be redeveloped one stand at a time: Rebuild the North stand (which they did), then the East stand, then add a second tier to the existing South bank, which would make all three stands into a continuous 'U', rather than being three separate stands. Then there was the option to redevelop the main stand at a future date to turn it into a fully enclosed stadium.

If you ever attend Molineux, you will notice that the East stand roof underhangs the 'new' North Bank, and hence some of the top corner seats in the North Bank cannot be used. This was because the East stand was next on the list to be demolished... it was not anticipated at the time of design that the project would be stopped before the first two stands were redeveloped.

I thought they originally stopped because they got relegated from the Premier League at the time

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I thought they originally stopped because they got relegated from the Premier League at the time

That was indeed the case - I think the plan was to continue if/when they returned. I do not think the new owners have yet shown the same enthusiasm for stadium development. Instead, they prefer spending their money on buying the Portuguese national team one player at a time.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'm surprised by Man City and Man Utd, I didn't think there was much that could be done with their stadiums?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd always hoped the Goldstone would be redeveloped on site, could easily had been made into a 30 000 + CAULDRON OF WINNINGNESS.

or 1-1 draws :whistle:

I'd envisaged a double deck All round, and a Road Tunnel under the stands down Goldstone Lane and Newtown Road

WSU is WOAH enough for me. I'm not scared of heights its just cold and draughty!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm surprised by Man City and Man Utd, I didn't think there was much that could be done with their stadiums?

It looks like Man Utd are just adding a sliding roof and no extra seats. I assume that's an investment to host other events at Old Trafford.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'd always hoped the Goldstone would be redeveloped on site, could easily had been made into a 30 000 + CAULDRON OF WINNINGNESS.

I'd envisaged a double deck All round, and a Road Tunnel under the stands down Goldstone Lane and Newtown Road

WSU is WOAH enough for me. I'm not scared of heights its just cold and draughty!

Don't forget your telescope if you are venturing up that high.

theboybilly

That's only half of what's planned for Forests ground. The stand behind the goal with half a top tier will have the top tier extended to the corner of the new main stand too.

Forest must have won the local residents over because the reason for the current roof of the Radcliffe End sloping down to the corner flag is because of the blocking of natural light. Having looked at this at past visits I cannot see the extra height being that much of an issue in the first place when you consider the size of the stands at Trent Bridge and the surrounding houses there.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
The very first stand in the video - the main stand at Bramall Lane - is interesting. I can remember when it was first built over the cricket pitch in the mid-70s to make it a four-sided ground at long last. But it cost so much that they couldn't afford to spend any money on the team and eventually dropped all the way from the old first division to the fourth, very much as Wolves did when they started to redevelop Molineux around the same time.

Molineux only had the John Ireland stand built when they dropped to Division 4 . The Waterloo ,North and South Stands were still there . There fall was more to do With the Bhatti brothers dealings.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I remember there being concerns about Charleroi at the time, but not quite how ropey the place was. The bit here about the temporary third tier alone sounds absolutely terrifying:

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/681032.stm

A few select quotes:

:eek:

There but for the grace of God, by the sounds of it mate.

Was also there and in said temporary tier for the Germany game. It was crazy! It was noticeably moving several inches as people jumped up and down. I didn't give a flip at the time as we were finally beating the Germans but looking back now it was probably actually pretty dangerous and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be on the bottom tier.

That was also the game where I had to pick my jaw up off the floor when I finally got back on a train to Brussels to see a certain former liberal democrat MP for Eastbourne sitting there without a care in the world like every other Englishman onboard. He didn't get that train!

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Was also there and in said temporary tier for the Germany game. It was crazy! It was noticeably moving several inches as people jumped up and down. I didn't give a flip at the time as we were finally beating the Germans but looking back now it was probably actually pretty dangerous and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be on the bottom tier.

I actually did end up sustaining a serious(ish) injury during that game. If I remember correctly it was a Saturday night and I'd gone over to my mates house mid-afternoon where I'd planned to watch the game as his mum was working. I would've been 15 so we'd been to the local off license to get a load of beers in having saved my school dinner money up for the week. A tenner could get you a fair few beers in those days, and back then getting served wasn't a problem so long as you weren't wearing a primary school uniform.

Anyway, the plan was scuppered just before kick-off as my mate's mum came home from work early and (understandably) kicked off when she found four pissed up teenagers and a living room full of empty beer cans.

With no choice, I sauntered off home to watch the match and attempted, and failed, to put on my best not-pissed impression. My mum and dad had guests over so I was forced to sit on a dining chair in the corner of the living room. When Shearer nodded us in front I ran forward instinctively and jumped into the air.

"Fúck me, that hurt". I fell to the ground, with my old man telling me to stop pratting about, you daft little see you next Tuesday. It then transpired that as I'd jumped up, I'd stuck my head straight into the middle of my mum's chandelier ceiling light, which had a great big spike hanging down in the middle of it - not dissimilar to this affair:

antique-bronze-chandelier-8.jpg

I was pissing blood, and my scalp required 8 or 9 stitches but I wasn't going until the game had concluded - we were beating the Germans! I insisted on another beer to help with the pain in the meantime which with hindsight wasn't a very clever idea given the reasonable amount of blood I had expended. I eventually arrived in A&E later than night as a heavily intoxicated 15 year old, wearing a Terry Butcher-style blood soaked England shirt and a gaping head wound, like some kind of England yob cadet. Certainly not a great look.

Anyway, I was happy enough - we'd beaten Germany and we only needed to beat Romania to get through the group stage. I forget who we played in the quarter finals...

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21

For my sins, I was the client’s project manager for the new North Stand at Molineux. Chairman was ‘difficult’ but Chief Executive was great. I always doubted the Chairman would prioritise redeveloping the North, South and East stands over investing in the team. So many phased redevelopment plans for stadia have never got beyond the CGIs as priorities and owners change often in football.
I was lucky enough (with my team) to be the project manager for the new stadia at Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Stoke, Hull, Coventry, Colchester, Doncaster and Southampton. All built for very modest budgets.
We also did the North Stand at Charlton where the roofs also do not line up!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Wasn't there a restriction or covenant or something on the east side that meant they wouldn't be allowed to build anything sizeable there?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I sat about three rows from the top for an El Classico in 2009 (I think) - absolutely lashing down but that’s not the reason that I felt as uncomfortable as I ever have in a football ground. I wouldn’t say I’m scared of heights but I don’t care for them too much either; the problem up there isn’t just the distance from the ground but the rake; I felt as if I’d have stumbled forward I’d have landed in a heap on the pitch.

They have little metal bars in front of your seat to keep hold of, I presume for that very reason, and I think it took me ‘til way after the hour mark before I summoned the nerve to let go of it. Nearly shit myself when Barca scored towards the end.

My dad has a season ticket in the West Stand Upper at the Amex, right in the very front row behind the advertising hoarding. I wouldn't say I have a fear of heights, but I've used his ticket on occasion when he can't go and I have to say when the Albion score and I jump up, I do feel like I'm going to topple over. It's quite unnerving and really takes some getting used to. I don't think I'd cope very well with your Nou Camp experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here