Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football grounds and redevelopment.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I've seen individual versions of this before; it's brilliantly interesting and must have taken some real time and skill to achieve. In a similar vein, this video of how Barca are renovating the Nou Camp (or Camp Nou, whichever you prefer) whilst continuing to stage games is quite interesting:

Yoda

English & European
That's only half of what's planned for Forests ground. The stand behind the goal with half a top tier will have the top tier extended to the corner of the new main stand too.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I've seen individual versions of this before; it's brilliantly interesting and must have taken some real time and skill to achieve. In a similar vein, this video of how Barca are renovating the Nou Camp (or Camp Nou, whichever you prefer) whilst continuing to stage games is quite interesting:

Seats even higher than the ones currently there??!!! Do they supply oxygen masks with the tickets?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Seats even higher than the ones currently there??!!! Do they supply oxygen masks with the tickets?

I sat about three rows from the top for an El Classico in 2009 (I think) - absolutely lashing down but that’s not the reason that I felt as uncomfortable as I ever have in a football ground. I wouldn’t say I’m scared of heights but I don’t care for them too much either; the problem up there isn’t just the distance from the ground but the rake; I felt as if I’d have stumbled forward I’d have landed in a heap on the pitch.

They have little metal bars in front of your seat to keep hold of, I presume for that very reason, and I think it took me ‘til way after the hour mark before I summoned the nerve to let go of it. Nearly shit myself when Barca scored towards the end.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Wow! As a stadium nerd and groundhopper, that is the sexiest video I’ve seen in a long time.

Shame about the robot voice.

Some additional points not covered in the vid :
- Portsmouth have also announced plans to do the stand behind the goal as phase 1.
- Forest are also gonna extend the away end (behind the goal).
- Aberdeen have since said they might abandon their relocation as the enabling commercial development doesn’t stack up.
- York’s new stadium is now complete.

The vid missed Barnet who have released an extension that is nuts.

Watford also intend to relocate.

Selhurst looks toilet before and after.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I sat about three rows from the top for an El Classico in 2009 (I think) - absolutely lashing down but that’s not the reason that I felt as uncomfortable as I ever have in a football ground. I wouldn’t say I’m scared of heights but I don’t care for them too much either; the problem up there isn’t just the distance from the ground but the rake; I felt as if I’d have stumbled forward I’d have landed in a heap on the pitch.

They have little metal bars in front of your seat to keep hold of, I presume for that very reason, and I think it took me ‘til way after the hour mark before I summoned the nerve to let go of it. Nearly shit myself when Barca scored towards the end.

Went to Charleroi in 2000, yuck, kept thinking if I stood up I'd fall out the stand hideous experience and the thing moved everytime people sang or moved about...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I always find this type of stuff fascinating, I am a committed stadium NERD.

What I would say is that whilst there is only so much you can do to redevelop an existing stadium, with the exception of Chelsea (which will never happen) all the new stand designs are quite generic and fairly "meh". Wolves and Liverpool barely look any differnent.

Also, when you have a clean slate for a new build, it would be great to see some more imagination put in, rather than the standard 4 cantilevers. You only have to look at some of the new NFL stadiums in the US to see what can be achieved. Cost is always a factor though, I guess.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Went to Charleroi in 2000, yuck, kept thinking if I stood up I'd fall out the stand hideous experience and the thing moved everytime people sang or moved about...

I remember there being concerns about Charleroi at the time, but not quite how ropey the place was. The bit here about the temporary third tier alone sounds absolutely terrifying:

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/681032.stm

A few select quotes:

The ground has a capacity of just 30,000 so a temporary tier has been fitted to one of the stands.

The English Football Association said the stadium met safety and security criteria laid down by Uefa, European football's governing body.

But crowd safety expert Dr Jim Dickie told the programme the temporary section was too steep, the railings too low and there was a risk of people falling.

He said: "If this tier was erected under UK regulations it would not be granted a safety certificate.

"If somebody offered me a ticket for the England-Germany game in this area of the stand I would decline the offer because I think the levels of risk are unacceptably high."

At 38 degrees, the tier is one of the steepest in Europe and four degrees steeper than British regulations would allow.
Each row has 40 seats between the gangways which is 16 more than is allowed in the UK and, Dr Dickie said, narrow exits increase evacuation time in the event of an emergency.

During safety tests it took emergency services using mountaineering equipment 25 minutes to carry one person from the empty stadium. In Britain it is expected to take half that time.

:eek:

There but for the grace of God, by the sounds of it mate.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

[tweet]1042416352491982849[/tweet]

Maybe you would find San Paolo a safer experience?

Or Mmbatho Stadium maybe?

CJgDloeUMAAuMA6.jpg

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I remember there being concerns about Charleroi at the time, but not quite how ropey the place was. The bit here about the temporary third tier alone sounds absolutely terrifying:

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/681032.stm

A few select quotes:

:eek:

There but for the grace of God, by the sounds of it mate.

It was bloody step and potentially dangerous without a doubt and when you did stand up you seriously did think you could fall out.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It was bloody step and potentially dangerous without a doubt and when you did stand up you seriously did think you could fall out.

38 degrees according to that article... meaning not as steep (45) as Santiago Bernabeu and whatever the Boca Juniors stadium is called, if I remember it right they are the record holders.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Got to laugh, haven’t you? These clubs can add thousands and thousands of seats yet we can’t get approval for this from the council :ffsparr:

(This isn’t official, I made it myself using the plans from the council’s website)
4EBFA37D-4980-4C50-9A38-A1F5D8D571F6.jpeg
78FACEE7-F247-45F6-9D58-CF60E1BAC92D.jpeg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Sorry it's not stadium related but I went to a gig at the O2/Millennium Dome and was seated right up in the eaves on the hugest row in the place. It was steep like that and walking down the stairs felt a bit precarious. In fact so much so a lady came and sat down near me and looked quite distressed. She then crawled backwards down the stairs and left before the gig started! £55 ticket that was too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here