Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Six strikers Brighton could sign in the January Transfer Window

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Realistically, we are unlikely to outlay a significant sum on any new firepower, but Ashworth and the team have always said "if there is an opportunity that will improve our squad for the right price, we'll do it."

I think a partner to Maupay or Connolly, the kind of role a fit Danny Welbeck can certainly play would be a welcome addition. I've looked at players who have slightly overperformed their xG, who are able to contribute effectively to buildup play, and who have a bit more height than our current options, so they can also be used as a target for crossed from the wing-backs, overlapping centre backs or deeper lying playmakers.

With that in mind, at Albion Analytics we scouted six realistic targets that could improve our options up front. There's an Aussie, a 6ft 7 Austrian, 'the Czech Glenn Murray' and a very exciting Ukrainian who I would LOVE us to sign, Roman Yaremchuk.

Please do have a listen, and if you have any suggested signings you would like us to scout let's hear em! I've included some radar maps of a few of the identified players in this post too.

[tweet]1346437759557382145[/tweet]

PicsArt_01-03-06.09.15.png
PicsArt_01-03-06.11.19.png
PicsArt_01-03-06.12.35.png

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Percy will be coming and that will be it . Moder as well hopefully will increase our midfield ability to score goals .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Without acceding to the usual "happy with what we have" staple line on deadline day, I was reading just what an impact Ancelotti has had on Dominic Calveirt-Lewin in terms of the focused coaching on his finishing. The main thing he has been told is that when he's in the box, not to take a touch, but just hit it first time. Ancelotti has played alongside and managed the best strikers in the world, and this was his key advice. All the best strikers avoid taking a touch, they just go for goal. DCL's PL stats have since gone:

2017/18 - 1 in 11
2018/19 - 4 in 32
2019/20 - 13 in 36
2020/21 - 11 in 16

A startling transformation. If we can get Connolly and Maupay coached with similar ideas, then we might already have what we need...

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Without acceding to the usual "happy with what we have" staple line on deadline day, I was reading just what an impact Ancelotti has had on Dominic Calveirt-Lewin in terms of the focused coaching on his finishing. The main thing he has been told is that when he's in the box, not to take a touch, but just hit it first time. Ancelotti has played alongside and managed the best strikers in the world, and this was his key advice. All the best strikers avoid taking a touch, they just go for goal. DCL's PL stats have since gone:

2017/18 - 1 in 11
2018/19 - 4 in 32
2019/20 - 13 in 36
2020/21 - 11 in 16

A startling transformation. If we can get Connolly and Maupay coached with similar ideas, then we might already have what we need...
That`s incredible , too simple for us though :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 2719

2017/18 - 1 in 11
2018/19 - 4 in 32
2019/20 - 13 in 36
2020/21 - 11 in 16

I would have thought most clubs train the shoot early routine. We train lads in 7 a side games, 2 touches allowed outside the box only 1 inside the box. But because they are boys still learning we mix it up with session of normal touch football.
You do need alert strikers to do this or very accurate balls pulled back to them from the goal line. Solly has been doing this.
Maupay and Connelly just need to forget the pressure and do their best. The fans just need to get off their backs.
Any experienced goal machine would be welcome though!

Last edited by a moderator:

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

2017/18 - 1 in 11
2018/19 - 4 in 32
2019/20 - 13 in 36
2020/21 - 11 in 16

I read the same thing. And ever since, find myself screaming ‘just hit it’ at the screen a lot when watching us. The same advice could be given to March for his crossing, instead of controlling it to wait to get closed down. It’s amazing really with all the money and mistique about coaching at elite level that advice to ‘hit it first time’ is enough!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I read the same thing. And ever since, find myself screaming ‘just hit it’ at the screen a lot when watching us. The same advice could be given to March for his crossing, instead of controlling it to wait to get closed down. It’s amazing really with all the money and mistique about coaching at elite level that advice to ‘hit it first time’ is enough!

As much as I love Solly, and staying on the thread's theme, it's not just his crossing, he needs to control the ball before shooting too. About the only two times he hasn't done that this season, guess what happened?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Roman Yaremchuk is the one. He would be an amazing, amazing signing.

No show boating. Just 191cms of utter filth.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would have thought most clubs train the shoot early routine. We train lads in 7 a side games, 2 touches allowed outside the box only 1 inside the box. But because they are boys still learning we mix it up with session of normal touch football.
You do need alert strikers to do this or very accurate balls pulled back to them from the goal line. Solly has been doing this.
Maupay and Connelly just need to forget the pressure and do their best. The fans just need to get off their backs.
Any experienced goal machine would be welcome though!

Its primarily a confidence thing. The natural, instinctive thing to do for 'lesser' strikers such as our own is to take a touch to try to make sure of getting a good contact when striking at goal, that element of "trying to make sure". We've all seen it time and time again this season. The best strikers are instinctive though, they don't feel that reliance on needing to tee themselves up before having a pop.

How much of this is natural, and how much can be coached is a grey line. But I think there's enough talent in Maupay and Connolly to potentially be more potent, with the right kind of coaching. But hell, they might already be getting that and just not quite be up to it, I dunno. Maybe we are seeing them at their max.

That said though, I never overly rated DCL. He's really surprised me this last year or so, and now Bamford is also doing the same. I'd love to see our forwards "unlocked" like that.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

2017/18 - 1 in 11
2018/19 - 4 in 32
2019/20 - 13 in 36
2020/21 - 11 in 16

Maupay is 10 in 37 and 6 in 15 in his season and a bit. Not too bad in comparison

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

2017/18 - 1 in 11
2018/19 - 4 in 32
2019/20 - 13 in 36
2020/21 - 11 in 16

I think there is a degree of both nurture and nature at play with regards to Dom Calvert-Lewins improvement.

Yes coaching him to work between the width of the box has helped, but it's his physical development which enables him to bully defenders that allows him to score more.

Maupay and Connolly will never dominate defences in the same way.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
With the new permit rules Yaremchuk must have more chance of a permit now ?

Stumpy Tim

I would love us to nab Paul Onuachu. 6 foot 7, good with his feet. This tippy tappy football is great, but having the option sometimes to swing in a cross with a realistic chance of someone getting on the end of it would be nice. Allardyce will be all over it I reckon

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here