Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Laptops for kids

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Morning,

Given the announcement last night my wife and I have decided to bite the bullet and buy laptops for our kids. I'm probably not the only person thinking along similar lines.

I have 3 children - 14,12 and 9 and my only thought is that its probably best to get them all the same machine so that they can help each other learn how to use them (getting three different machines that work differently just seems a bad idea).

Budget is £300 max per laptop.

I really know nothing about computers. I don't know how a chromebook is different from a traditional laptop etc. So therefore any advice on a good machine for home schooling kids would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
A Chromebook is a bit like a dumbed down laptop that can access Google services really easily. If the kids aren't budding hackers it will offer everything they need in a format that makes it hard to go wrong/for them to break (think of it as a step up from a tablet but a step down from a full computer). It's what my youngest is using for their home schooling. The school uses Google Class room so it is all integrated really well but depends on what home learning system the schools are using really. I would recommend Asus Chromebooks for kids doing school work at home as they are good value.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
A Chromebook is a bit like a dumbed down laptop that can access Google services really easily. If the kids aren't budding hackers it will offer everything they need in a format that makes it hard to go wrong/for them to break (think of it as a step up from a tablet but a step down from a full computer). It's what my youngest is using for their home schooling. The school uses Google Class room so it is all integrated really well but depends on what home learning system the schools are using really. I would recommend Asus Chromebooks for kids doing school work at home as they are good value.

Would 100% recommend a Chromebook for anybody's first laptop. They are cheap, durable and do everything that your children will need.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With a Chromebook you essentially do everything via the browser, Chrome, and there's no underlying desktop.

For kids at school, this will do the job just fine, and is probably going to cause you less stress as there's not much they can **** up.

Predictably, stocks at Amazon seem low right now. This looks like a decent option to me, and fits your budget, but do some research before taking my word for it, although Amazon's return policy is great - https://amzn.to/2L2MOfo

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Another vote for a Chromebook for simplicity and value.........a teaching relative’s primary school is recommending chromebooks if parents ask them.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
We made a slow and unusable Windows 7 laptop usable for home schooling by converting it to a Chromebook last year. Not perfect but good enough for a month or two until we could get the real thing. Instructions and downloads are available online and it's free. Might be useful for anyone on a budget looking to upgrade an older device.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Another vote for Chromebooks. Got a couple during Lockdown 1.0.

My kids are 12 & 15. Made the homeschooling SO much easier. Easy to set up & use ...

Also relatively cheap, from memory I paid around £450 for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Just to further explain something: as my son's school uses Google Classroom he has a google account through the school. He logs onto his Chromebook using that account and bingo: all the school resources are really easy to find and use. Obviously not all schools use Google Classroom but if your kids' does then it is so straight forward.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It depends what the school use. My kids use MS Teams so have had to go the Microsoft route and pay the extra bunch. If they use Google classroom then a Chrome book is absolutely fine. To re-iterate though, you need to find out what the school use as you don't want to be in the wrong Ecosystem.

I bought a £400 Windows 10 Acers at Xmas. They seem to do the job.

This was the one I bought and the key reasons why

- It has a Microsoft OS which was key for my lads school
- It has a 1TB storage which is unlikely to run out. (Most models in the lower price range are only 128 or 256 gig)
- It is proper Windows 10 and not Windows 10 S which locks the model down too much for my liking (but is more secure so has swings and roundabouts)

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...ntel-core-i3-1-tb-hdd-black-10208112-pdt.html

If it's not a present though, a refurbed Lenovo is the best way to go for £300

Last edited:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Can you use office on a chromebook? My 12 year old insists they need it (powerpoint etc) I really cant tell by reading the reviews, so i'm guessing not.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
You can convert office documents into the equivalent google versions and download them again as office files...

as a technophobe, that scares the hell out of me!

You can use Office 365 online via Chrome, but it doesn't have all of the full options.

Sorry, when you say 'full options' does that mean some areas of functionality, or misses complete packages?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Sorry, when you say 'full options' does that mean some areas of functionality, or misses complete packages?

https://www.howtogeek.com/334597/wh...ce 365 Online apps,to view and edit documents.

For example, some of the major features you’ll find missing in the online and mobile apps include:

Word: You cannot create captions, citations, bibliographies, tables of content. You cannot create or apply styles. And you won’t have access to some of the more advanced reviewing, proofing, or page layout tools.
Excel: You cannot create pivot tables, apply conditional formatting, create external data connections or references, or access many of the advanced formulas.
OneNote: You cannot edit embedded files, use optical character recognition (OCR) to translate handwriting into text, use Outlook task integration, or take advantage of template support.
PowerPoint: You cannot create custom animations, use headers and footers, or integrate Excel charts. You also cannot take advantage of advanced design or reviewer tools.

And there are a lot more, somewhat minor, features you won’t be able to take advantage of in the online or mobile app versions of Office, as well. For a complete list, check out the Office Online Service Description on Microsoft TechNet. While that list specifically talks about the Office 365 Online experience, most of the same exclusions apply to the mobile apps, too. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/of...nline-service-description?redirectedfrom=MSDN)

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
https://www.howtogeek.com/334597/wh...ce 365 Online apps,to view and edit documents.

For example, some of the major features you’ll find missing in the online and mobile apps include:

Word: You cannot create captions, citations, bibliographies, tables of content. You cannot create or apply styles. And you won’t have access to some of the more advanced reviewing, proofing, or page layout tools.
Excel: You cannot create pivot tables, apply conditional formatting, create external data connections or references, or access many of the advanced formulas.
OneNote: You cannot edit embedded files, use optical character recognition (OCR) to translate handwriting into text, use Outlook task integration, or take advantage of template support.
PowerPoint: You cannot create custom animations, use headers and footers, or integrate Excel charts. You also cannot take advantage of advanced design or reviewer tools.

And there are a lot more, somewhat minor, features you won’t be able to take advantage of in the online or mobile app versions of Office, as well. For a complete list, check out the Office Online Service Description on Microsoft TechNet. While that list specifically talks about the Office 365 Online experience, most of the same exclusions apply to the mobile apps, too. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/of...nline-service-description?redirectedfrom=MSDN)

Many thanks. I really appreciate your help (and time). My childrens meltdown this afternoon has expedited any actions here, as such i've just ordered chromebooks using [MENTION=18040]HankSkorpio[/MENTION] 's link to Argos.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We did the same, got recon ones, they've been great for nine months so far!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It depends what the school use. My kids use MS Teams so have had to go the Microsoft route and pay the extra bunch. If they use Google classroom then a Chrome book is absolutely fine. To re-iterate though, you need to find out what the school use as you don't want to be in the wrong Ecosystem.

I bought a £400 Windows 10 Acers at Xmas. They seem to do the job.

This was the one I bought and the key reasons why

- It has a Microsoft OS which was key for my lads school
- It has a 1TB storage which is unlikely to run out. (Most models in the lower price range are only 128 or 256 gig)
- It is proper Windows 10 and not Windows 10 S which locks the model down too much for my liking (but is more secure so has swings and roundabouts)

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...ntel-core-i3-1-tb-hdd-black-10208112-pdt.html

If it's not a present though, a refurbed Lenovo is the best way to go for £300

You can run Teams on a chromebook. I have it on my android phone and its no different from the desktop version, absolute god send for me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here