Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Laptops for kids

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
hi, we now have 2 chromebooks but i'm really struggling with them. ironically it seems as though, despite being chrome/google, we cannot open anything on Google Drive meaning that my kids still cant do their classwork. we can get into Google Classrooms fine, but cant open any files as i get a 'this site cannot be reached' error message. House is on verge of falling apart here as have 3 kids who can't work and a wife full time teaching from home. I'm failing to cope.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
clicking on the file on the top image just returns the error shown below... It's the same on both machines. I'm sure it worked on the day we got them but since then nothing.

My laptop opens the files immediately, but i need to work myself!

Capture33.PNG

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
clicking on the file on the top image just returns the error shown below... It's the same on both machines. I'm sure it worked on the day we got them but since then nothing.

My laptop opens the files immediately, but i need to work myself!

View attachment 132390

I teach computing at a primary school. I have noticed that error today for the first time (pdf). I hadn't come across it before so I think it's likely to be at Google's end. It is only appearing on a few kids work, have your children returned to work they had previously handed in?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I teach computing at a primary school. I have noticed that error today for the first time (pdf). I hadn't come across it before so I think it's likely to be at Google's end. It is only appearing on a few kids work, have your children returned to work they had previously handed in?

we've not managed to return anything.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't understand why the work is being turned in as a PDF as Chromebooks are not set up that way by default. Some of our kkids who are in school and on c'books have work showing up like this, it is odd.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
trhe PDF is the classwork set that we need to access

The classwork was not a PDF though, it was on slides.

Edit: apologies, your work was but the lesson appeared not to be. It is unlikely the teacher would set the lesson answers in pdf format though as it is not Google friendly.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
sorry. I cant keep up. I presume i need to do this from my child machine (which doesn't have NSC)

Sorry - just trying to diagnose what the connectivity issue might be as not being able to reach drive.google.com, if you type that directly in a browser, it suggests something strange going on with general connectivity rather than a Google Classrooms/Chromebook issue.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Thanks everyone. I suddenly had a thought - i revisited our parental controls a few days ago and increased the settings. on looking into it in depth Isaw that 'file sharing' was blocked. Customising controls to allow file sharing seems to have sorted it.

Thanks so much for trying to help.It was all my own fault into trying to protect my kids from the dangers of the web.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Thanks everyone. I suddenly had a thought - i revisited our parental controls a few days ago and increased the settings. on looking into it in depth Isaw that 'file sharing' was blocked. Customising controls to allow file sharing seems to have sorted it.

Thanks so much for trying to help.It was all my own fault into trying to protect my kids from the dangers of the web.

Good dad!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Sorry for the late reply on this thread, it makes more sense to revive an existing thread than to start a new one.

I'm seriously looking at a Chromebook for my little home schooler. Does anybody use 'Seesaw' through a Chromebook? Seesaw is the app my child's school uses to send out tasks and for the kids to upload their work.

All the live lessons are done on teams, so good to see that works fine on a Chromebook.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here