Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris Johnson 8pm televised address - official match thread

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Don’t know why he’s on this thread. Or this Board really

He’s Australian.

i don't think he is, he moved out there a couple or three years back; the poor little poppet subjected us to a tearful, six month EPIC goodbye :eek::mad::sick:

now he spends his days trawling dumbed down, right wing web sites, to post stuff on here in the hope of creating controversy and antagonism

sad really, it takes all sorts i 'spose; look out the window mate, buy a sailing dinghy, go for a cycle in the woods......... something :down: :shrug:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
hardly poking my nose in wellthick, you are aware that you are making a tit of yourself in public, aren't you? :nono:

You do like to think yourself as the milk monitor, deciding who can and cannot use NSC. Bad news, you ain’t.

Now run along you nobody.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Respect to Boris. He takes full accountability of the 100,000+ Covid death toll and so he should.

I suspect that he has already worked out that this huge figure, along with the highest death-rate in the world, is his legacy rather than Brexit. Having been honourable in admitting this mess is his responsibility, I do wonder when he’ll do the next honourable thing and resign.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
5th country to break 100,000 deaths

India population 1.38 Billion
USA population 328 Million
Brazil population 211 Million
Mexico population 127 Million
UK population 66 million

It's even worse when you look at the deaths per 100,000 statistics, the UK is the top country in the world

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
It's even worse when you look at the deaths per 100,000 statistics, the UK is the top country in the world

Scroll down and...

A9D59339-6D12-45E9-A534-E5DA091E5AEF.jpeg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
5th country to break 100,000 deaths

India population 1.38 Billion
USA population 328 Million
Brazil population 211 Million
Mexico population 127 Million
UK population 66 million

I recall the time a few months back when Johnson said that " Other countries are looking at our success in dealing with Covid-19 ".... He genuinely said that.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I recall the time a few months back when Johnson said that " Other countries are looking at our success in dealing with Covid-19 ".... He genuinely said that.

Poor governance is partly to blame, but Covid has exposed Britain's inequality and it got far worse in the past decade.

We have some of worse areas of deprivation in Western Europe, not surprisingly these are the areas with the highest death rates.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Poor governance is partly to blame, but Covid has exposed Britain's inequality and it got far worse in the past decade.

We have some of worse areas of deprivation in Western Europe, not surprisingly these are the areas with the highest death rates.

Yes, poor education, poor wages and people who HAVE to work because they won't get sick pay, can't afford the rent or mortgage, poorly supported NHS and poor nutrition due to said poor wages. It's a cocktail for disaster unless you are well paid and have the option to work from home.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Yes, poor education, poor wages and people who HAVE to work because they won't get sick pay, can't afford the rent or mortgage, poorly supported NHS and poor nutrition due to said poor wages. It's a cocktail for disaster unless you are well paid and have the option to work from home.
And, of course, poor people live packed closer together while rich people have a lot more room. Which may be why the objection to people who live in crowded areas, going for a walk in the country - they might contaminate the richer country folk's "safe space".

Poor wages don't lead to poor nutrition. Poor education might; but fruit and vegetables and chicken are a lot cheaper than red meat and ready meals.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
And, of course, poor people live packed closer together while rich people have a lot more room. Which may be why the objection to people who live in crowded areas, going for a walk in the country - they might contaminate the richer country folk's "safe space".

Poor wages don't lead to poor nutrition. Poor education might; but fruit and vegetables and chicken are a lot cheaper than red meat and ready meals.

I agree to a degree, but a lot of junk food is cheaper than fresh. Go into one of those low-grade KFC clones and see what you can buy for a fiver.

Not being able to cook absolutely and then extends beyond class and education. I was talking to a bloke today (not young) who has had to teach himself during the lockdown. Prior to that, it was always takeaways most nights, He is now relying on those boxes that come with recipe cards. At least it's a start.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I agree to a degree, but a lot of junk food is cheaper than fresh. Go into one of those low-grade KFC clones and see what you can buy for a fiver.

Not being able to cook absolutely and then extends beyond class and education. I was talking to a bloke today (not young) who has had to teach himself during the lockdown. Prior to that, it was always takeaways most nights, He is now relying on those boxes that come with recipe cards. At least it's a start.
For a fiver you can buy a fresh chicken £3.30, two pounds of potatoes £1, a fair sized bag of carrots 41p, a parsnip 15p, a courgette 20p. OK that's 6p over. But with that you have the ingredients for a roast chicken dinner, a chicken leftover dinner, a chicken sandwich, and chicken broth - you can feed a family for four meals at a stretch, three meals comfortably.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

This is absolutely a cultural/educational thing. For some reason the knowledge has been lost here compared with other parts of Europe. When we visit my partner's family in Portugal (a poor rural area) they can knock up amazing food using a few vegetables, pasta, olive oil and cheap cuts of meat that last for days.
That knowledge is passed through families and they take it seriously, they always bollock me for buying takeaways!

In England cooking seems to be a middle class hobby for people to try and copy Tom Kerridge.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

People are not just financially poor, they are " Time Poor " too, after working long hours many people are so knackered its just a cheap ready meal or a frozen pizza picked up on the way home. My ex used to exist on fried egg sandwiches during the day then it would be sausages, chips beans, pizza+ chips etc etc.... when I first knew her other than spuds, the only " vegetable " she would eat was heated up marrowfat peas as she said she did not even have time to peel and cook veg. ..... anyway.....

From the BBC ( which obviously needs to be " de-funded " for not being pro-British enough.. )

"Covid-19: 'Poor decisions' to blame for UK death toll, scientists say

Prof Linda Bauld, public health expert from the University of Edinburgh, said the UK's current position was "a legacy of poor decisions that were taken when we eased restrictions".

She told the BBC the lack of focus on test and trace and the "absolute inability to recognise" the need to address international travel had also led to a more deadly winter surge.

Prof Sir Michael Marmot, who carried out a review of inequalities in Covid-19 deaths, said the UK had entered the pandemic "in a bad state" with rising health inequality, a slowdown in life expectancy improvements and a lack of investment in the public sector. "

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I do wonder when he’ll do the next honourable thing and resign.

Gut feel is when the pandemic is over (or at least is in a manageable state), he'll resign citing "ill health and wanting to spend time with his young family" and exit stage right.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
People are not just financially poor, they are " Time Poor " too, after working long hours many people are so knackered its just a cheap ready meal or a frozen pizza picked up on the way home.

such a poor excuse, perpetuating a myth. it takes as long to cook a frozen pizza as it does to cook some pasta with some veg. hell even putting salad veg on the side of the pizza is nutritionally decent for low cost and a minute slicing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
such a poor excuse, perpetuating a myth. it takes as long to cook a frozen pizza as it does to cook some pasta with some veg. hell even putting salad veg on the side of the pizza is nutritionally decent for low cost and a minute slicing.

Indeed it does take as long to cook a frozen pizza as it takes to do pasta.... however, cooking pasta with " Some Veg ? " means an effort to obtain. peel, slice and stand over a stove, frozen pizza gets thrown in the oven and forgotten til it's cooked in the time it takes to down your first can of Carlsberg ... If ever you find yourself in a local Co-op, Tesco's, Sainsbury's etc you will se that they never run out of Pringles, Dorito's, Walker's crisps, Pepsi, Pizza, Carling, Budweiser and Red Bull equivalents.. such salad as you can find is often disappointing and many lack the knowledge, skill and cash to add a thousand Island dressing or olive Oil and Balsalmic Vinegar to enliven it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Indeed it does take as long to cook a frozen pizza as it takes to do pasta.... however, cooking pasta with " Some Veg ? " means an effort to obtain. peel, slice and stand over a stove, frozen pizza gets thrown in the oven and forgotten til it's cooked in the time it takes to down your first can of Carlsberg ... If ever you find yourself in a local Co-op, Tesco's, Sainsbury's etc you will se that they never run out of Pringles, Dorito's, Walker's crisps, Pepsi, Pizza, Carling, Budweiser and Red Bull equivalents.. such salad as you can find is often disappointing and many lack the knowledge, skill and cash to add a thousand Island dressing or olive Oil and Balsalmic Vinegar to enliven it.

wait, you said people couldnt afford it. then not enough time. now there isnt enough fruit and veg or they are just too tempted by the expensive processed food, or need fancy dressing to enliven it. so its not too expensive really is it, people just make their choices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here