Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Peter Adolph, for many a huge part of our youth.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Born at 77 Montpelier Road, Brighton on 7th December 1916.

The inventor of Subbuteo, does anyone know if is there a blue plaque on the house?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

The inventor of Subbuteo, does anyone know if is there a blue plaque on the house?
Can't see one on Google Maps. Maybe someone flicked it, and it rolled in a parabolic arc and ended up in an upright position in a random position near by?

Attachments

• 77.JPG
    77.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 244

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Sorry Ian no idea mate

But what I do know is that I managed to get a Leeds kit Subbuteo team and managed to paint the torsos blue, leaving the arms white.

And poured water on the pitch to recreate a soggy 1960’s mud bath

Subbuteo = brilliant

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

If not, there should be. My first team with the set was Nottingham Forest. I can't remember when a Brighton team came available, but I had Hibs because they had the same strip as Albion at the time, but in green, thus becoming the Scottish team I have always hoped do well in a a very passive way. Next up were Saints because I always wanted to beat them, so my mates had to be Saints when we played. Happy days and a clever man.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
When he invented this classic game, he couldn't call it 'Hobby', which is what it was.

He then chose the scientific name for the bird, namely Falco subbuteo.

Believe that, you'll believe anything.

hobby_1200x675.jpg

A man responsible for many a young lad (and lasses) flicking away in their bedrooms of an evening.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Can't see one on Google Maps. Maybe someone flicked it, and it rolled in a parabolic arc and ended up in an upright position in a random position near by?

Good work old boy, over in Worthing the Council work with The Worthing Society, recently we've had one for Alma Cogan in Downview Road and post Covid there's another two due to go up, Peter Bonetti at his boyhood home in Christchurch Road and Angela Barnwell, swam in an Olympic final in 1952 aged 17, on the new flats on the site of the old Heene Baths.

Does anyone know if Brighton Council do a similar thing?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
There's a blue plaque for Peter Adolph in Tunbridge Wells on the spot where his factory used to be but not in Brighton. He spent part of his childhood in Brighton before moving to TW as a teenager I believe. He was also a QPR fan rather than one of the Albion faithful.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There's a blue plaque for Peter Adolph in Tunbridge Wells on the spot where his factory used to be but not in Brighton. He spent part of his childhood in Brighton before moving to TW as a teenager I believe. He was also a QPR fan rather than one of the Albion faithful.

He probably doesn’t need two plaques then, especially if he was not an Albion fan and has no real connections to the City other than birth and a part of his childhood.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

\

First place I lived in Brighton was a few doors away from there and I had no idea about this!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

And even that's only a miniature plastic one.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

My first Subbuteo team was QPR, followed by Norwich, no particular reason, they were a couple of the teams that were for sale at the CESSAC shop in Dekhelia which took my fancy. Gave me a nice selection of teams if you included the Red and Blue standard kits. Also bought a set of number stickers to put on the backs of the players, essential they were.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
There was a rival game to Subbuteo called Newfooty.

Very similar in the early days when the players were flat pieces of stamped plastic.
I think Subbuteo brought out the proper "3D" figures and killed off the competition. My oldest brother had Newfooty and I had Subbuteo.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

That's answered that then, I believe you can only have one.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Used to LOVE browsing the extensive Subbuteo section in Beatties on a saturday while ostensibly indulging me little kids in the Weekend Dad Clock Tower Golden Triangle of Beatties-Gamleys-Uncle Sams

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

If, after the flick, your players are finishing in a "random position", you need to work on your game more!!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Used to LOVE browsing the extensive Subbuteo section in Beatties on a saturday while ostensibly indulging me little kids in the Weekend Dad Clock Tower Golden Triangle of Beatties-Gamleys-Uncle Sams

Did both Beatties and Gamleys actually go bust or just cease trading?

Very sad if so, two quality toy shops, from both my youth and my kids.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Did both Beatties and Gamleys actually go bust or just cease trading?

Very sad if so, two quality toy shops, from both my youth and my kids.

There's neither of them been about for many moons now, and they seemed to stop trading / go bust round about the same time, if memory serves, which if doesn't all that often nowadays. Both were required town centre visiting when me kids were little. Can't believe that a crap thing like Toys-R-Us killed them both stone dead. But then again, seem to recall Uncle Sams largely throwing in towel round about the same time. What gives/gave? ???

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My first Subbuteo team was QPR, followed by Norwich, no particular reason, they were a couple of the teams that were for sale at the CESSAC shop in Dekhelia which took my fancy. Gave me a nice selection of teams if you included the Red and Blue standard kits. Also bought a set of number stickers to put on the backs of the players, essential they were.

I had Wolves and Celtic. I think I liked the Anglo Scottish cup or something....

Actually was there an Anglo Scottish cup ?
And whatever happened to the Anglo Italian cup and The Watney Cup ?
Better than crappy friendlies

Jul 7, 2003
My dad brought home a random set of second hand Subbuteo teams when I was off sick from school one day. He then made a wooden pitch with sides and wooden goals (bit like a modern day 5-a-side court) for me to play on. If I remember correctly they teams were Notts County, Luton Town (the orange kit with the white stripe), Cardiff City (Blue with a yellow stripe?) and the classic WBA away kit of yellow and green stripes.

Most of my early Subbuteo purchases were from a little sports shop on the corner of High Street and Brighton Road in Worthing. Can't remember what it was called now but I also got my first pair of shin pads from there (no idea why such silly details stick in your mind).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here