Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] One point per game

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
That seems to be our lot folks.

Hughton.....76 PL games......76 points
Potter.........55 PL games.......55 points

I can see a similar return over the remaining 21 games this season. So...on that basis.... is 35 points gonna be enough this season? Means Potter has to get 21 more points. Potentially write off away games v Chelsea..United...City...Liverpool...Arsenal...home games v City...Tottenham.....( we may strangle a draw somewhere...so one point from this lot )....leaves 20 points needed from 14 games just to reach 35.
Its a big ask from a squad to win 5 or 6 games out of 14 when you have won 2 out of 17.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The home game v Fulham is huge.

And history tells us what happens when lowly rivals come to the Amex :nono:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I can see a similar return over the remaining 21 games this season. So...on that basis.... is 35 points gonna be enough this season? Means Potter has to get 21 more points. Potentially write off away games v Chelsea..United...City...Liverpool...Arsenal...home games v City...Tottenham.....( we may strangle a draw somewhere...so one point from this lot )....leaves 20 points needed from 14 games just to reach 35.
Its a big ask from a squad to win 5 or 6 games out of 14 when you have won 2 out of 17.

I think the team is going to win 5-7 games. Might be a "big ask" but there is a lot of evidence that says "just because you take x points over x games doesnt mean you are going to take x points over the next x games".

As for 35 points, I would be very surprised if if isnt enough at the end of the season but I'm hoping for a little more than that.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Luckily the teams below us are shite, so a low points tally will probably keep us up..

Home to Fulham, away to West Brom and Sheff Utd vital games.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
We will beat Man City on Wednesday. That will calm things down a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
You people need to get behind the team it's not as bad as you think, could give you the been a fan for bah bah bah but you don't care. I think we have a good if not great squad good enough for now keep the faith.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I can see a similar return over the remaining 21 games this season. So...on that basis.... is 35 points gonna be enough this season?

Thanks for posting these stats, I was not aware that this was the case.

What I would say is that Hughton ‘nicked’ a number of games where we’d have a couple
of chances with Murray, Groß, Dunk n Duffy or Izquierdo grabbing a goal whilst the defence remained very strong and kept the opposition out.

Potter’s team does the opposite creating a host of chances that are not taken conceding to the opposition when ever they have a big chance.

Once Hughton’s team stopped creating (and taking) those couple of big chances, relegation was the only result (unless other teams were worse). At least with Potter, we know that if a few of our players find some goal scoring form allied to less horrific individual errors by our defenders, we’ll shoot up the table.

West Brom & Sheff Utd won’t catch us so it’s between us and Fulham (who really aren’t great at scoring) and possibly a smaller team like Palace for the final relegation spot. I think 2021 will be much better in terms of luck for us.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
35 will be plenty enough this season. 2nd half performance against Wolverhampton showed the players are very much still with GPott.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
35 will be plenty enough this season. 2nd half performance against Wolverhampton showed the players are very much still with GPott.

I think you are probably right as long as one of the teams below us doesn't go on a mini run. As said earlier, the Fulham game appears to be the game of the season. A true six pointer in every sense. It is clearly a must win for us. Anything else and you start to become fearful.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

I'm not writing those games off. We've played very well against all of them and been very close to getting more than the one point we have at the moment. I'm very confident we'll get a big result against one of these teams this season

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I predicted 32 as a points for survival total this season. If anything, I think it will be lower. I wouldn't rule out a team surviving with 29 this season

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You people need to get behind the team it's not as bad as you think, could give you the been a fan for bah bah bah but you don't care. I think we have a good if not great squad good enough for now keep the faith.

Nurse

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Talk about lowering standards and expectations!

It could well go to the last day and us praying for someone else to win/lose.

Man City and Arsenal last up.

The Fulham game is huge psychologically. Fulham have some wind in their sails but a few tough games coming up. Wee need something positive from our next 2 games. like a performance and a win maybe.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Home to Fulham, away to West Brom and Sheff Utd vital games.

For every other team these fixtures are as good as 9 points nailed on, with sweat barely broken. We, however, will somehow contrive to make it all seem far more complicated than it need be and sleepwalk into two draws and a narrow defeat.

I'm learning.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's simple really, we either improve ( we need 1.2 for 40pts or 1.28 PPG for 41) or we'll likely as not go down

we've failed this season in respect of last season, with an improved squad. . . .looking up the table, making an improvement on last season looks easier than its ever been, Palace, Burnley and Newcastle all look poor. Leeds should be a target position.

We've always been shyte against clubs in the mire and generally flatter to deceive against the big boys without ever achieving anything.

Not winning the winnables is costiing us dearly.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Unlikely. The squad is getting stronger every year.

If we can stay up and keep hold of Potter, then next season could well be our best season ever.

This is absolutely how I feel. If, and it is a big if at the moment, we stay up, I've got no doubt that things will get better under Potter.

I think the criticism from most, including myself, isn't that things look bad in the long term (if Potter can turn it around) but in the short term things look worrying. We have been in relegation form so far this season. We are currently on course for 31 points and the lowest anyone has ever stayed up with in the Premier League was West Brom with 34 points on 04/05. I am desperate for Potter to succeed but he is currently underperforming and needs to get at least a point per game from our last 21 if we are going to have any chance of remaining in the Premier League. We can't rely on there being three worse teams forever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here