Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] CBs

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Interesting CBs received so many marks of 7 and 8. They may be good individual players but once again as a unit very poor. Game after game attackers left unmarked. Against Arsenal of course Sako shouldnt have been allowed to get cross in but when he did scorer unmarked. Both West Ham and Wolves scored from free headers. Goodness knows what this board would be like now if Wolves had scored as they should have done in last minute. Another case of 3 defenders and not one marking the forward. Most on here think Burnley will survive. Not because they are good but because they are hard to score against.
To survive we need to defend better. I prefer 4 at back with 2 CBs playing with each other week after week but appreciate when Lampty plays at wingback that is not possible.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Interesting CBs received so many marks of 7 and 8. They may be good individual players but once again as a unit very poor. Game after game attackers left unmarked. Against Arsenal of course Sako shouldnt have been allowed to get cross in but when he did scorer unmarked. Both West Ham and Wolves scored from free headers. Goodness knows what this board would be like now if Wolves had scored as they should have done in last minute. Another case of 3 defenders and not one marking the forward. Most on here think Burnley will survive. Not because they are good but because they are hard to score against.
To survive we need to defend better. I prefer 4 at back with 2 CBs playing with each other week after week but appreciate when Lampty plays at wingback that is not possible.

Just play lamptey as a full back would that not be the answer
I think we would be much more effective with a back 4

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just play lamptey as a full back would that not be the answer
I think we would be much more effective with a back 4

Thats what I would do. Wouldnt have to change system all the time. Then just pick his 2 favoured CBs and stick with them. I would have no problem with Bernardo at LB

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
We changed to a back 4 just before HT when Connolly was down. You saw Sky focus on GP and could see his instructions going out and holding up the 4 fingers.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Thats what I would do. Wouldnt have to change system all the time. Then just pick his 2 favoured CBs and stick with them. I would have no problem with Bernardo at LB

Except Bernardo is as bad if not worse than Burn.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Going forward possibly but nowhere near as bad defensively if only for the fact he had the ability to turn and run in under an hour

Bernardo is shite defensively. Not saying BDB is Gods gift to mankind as LB but Bernardo really hasnt shown anything better. As an example, his performance in the 3-3 last year (vs West Ham) was no better than Burns game yesterday... and Snodgrass is no Traore.

I seriously doubt that Bernardo vs Traore would have been a lot more fun than Burn vs Traore. Its the option of "help me who am I and what I am doing" or "help me Im too tall and lanky and cant cope with this shit". Its not two fantastic options but I would always stick with Burn (or someone not Bernardo) going into a game against... anyone.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010

Exactly,we have two very good fullbacks in the squad
It doesn’t need any complications or scientific approach
Quick fit fullbacks who get up and down the touch line
When they go forward someone sits in,it’s worked for years
at any level of the game.The first thing,I think,any manager has
to get sorted is the back four and keeper.Not sure it will happen
with us
Saying all that I thought we did pretty well second half yesterday
UTA

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Given 1. how poor Burn is - 2. how iffy Webster is - 3. the possibility that White will leave for a big money transfer - 4. it is very unlikely Duffy will be back - a new CB would not go astray.

I have touted this before - but Brighton should target John Egan. Sheff Utd are a busted flush and will have to sell - and Egan is a very good, and improving, CB who has the ability to pass the ball. Second option from another team in trouble is Dara O'Shea of WBA - a rapidly improving player who is only 21 years old who can also play LB. Egan and O'Shea will be the mainstays of the Irish team for the next half dozen years.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Given 1. how poor Burn is - 2. how iffy Webster is - 3. the possibility that White will leave for a big money transfer - 4. it is very unlikely Duffy will be back - a new CB would not go astray.

I have touted this before - but Brighton should target John Egan. Sheff Utd are a busted flush and will have to sell - and Egan is a very good, and improving, CB who has the ability to pass the ball. Second option from another team in trouble is Dara O'Shea of WBA - a rapidly improving player who is only 21 years old who can also play LB. Egan and O'Shea will be the mainstays of the Irish team for the next half dozen years.

Are there any players you’d recommend who aren’t Irish? [emoji1]

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
I would go with 4-4-2 don't know about left side need to get someone in but Veltman rb push Lamptey forward to right midfield in a more attacking roll and let him frighten the hell out of the opposition

theboybilly

Burn is not a bad player but he is played out of position and utilised against some of the fastest players in this very tough division -that's not his fault. Nobody can doubt his effort. I dont like some of the comments thrown around like Burn is some sort of clown. We saw how he was outpaced against Arsenal so why pit him against an even more obvious threat yesterday. Yesterday was the best display Traore has had against the Albion in at least 5 games but it was handed to him by that one piece of team selection

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Burn is not a bad player but he is played out of position and utilised against some of the fastest players in this very tough division -that's not his fault. Nobody can doubt his effort. I dont like some of the comments thrown around like Burn is some sort of clown. We saw how he was outpaced against Arsenal so why pit him against an even more obvious threat yesterday. Yesterday was the best display Traore has had against the Albion in at least 5 games but it was handed to him by that one piece of team selection

Well done for standing up for Burn - as I said in another thread, I really don't buy into this manic nonsense stated by some that he is not even Sunday League standard, and certainly don't support the childishly vicious personal abuse that some are brave enough to hurl at him from their keyboards.

One small point though - the team selection was fine, and we managed Traore very well for the first third of the game. However, we switched March to the right wing (as has happened many times before) and instead of having Burn and March double-teaming Traore out of the game, we suddenly had Burn one on one with a guy who has shown he can be one of the best wingers in the PL. Trossard was nowhere near him when he skipped past Burn and ran into the box. Had Trossard done his job, Traore would likely have continued to get no joy down the wing, and would have been forced to come far more central (as happened when March reverted back to the left).

So - a tactical switch of wingers (most teams do this), a blistering winger (Traore), and Burn isolated one on one - not team selection.

Wait till Lamptey is fit again and see what happens when the opposition's usual double-teaming of him fails, for whatever reason, and then consider whether it is team selection, or individuals not carrying out their role as they should.

I don't follow other team's message boards, but do they all go into meltdown and blame the manager when a player fails to do his job and support a team mate?

(Not a personal pop at you - I am just so exasperated at the meltdown of some on this board. I used to think this was a supporter's forum, but I am starting to have a few doubts.)

boik

Bernardo is shite defensively. Not saying BDB is Gods gift to mankind as LB but Bernardo really hasnt shown anything better. As an example, his performance in the 3-3 last year (vs West Ham) was no better than Burns game yesterday... and Snodgrass is no Traore.

I seriously doubt that Bernardo vs Traore would have been a lot more fun than Burn vs Traore. Its the option of "help me who am I and what I am doing" or "help me Im too tall and lanky and cant cope with this shit". Its not two fantastic options but I would always stick with Burn (or someone not Bernardo) going into a game against... anyone.

Mr Swansman, diverging slightly from the LB discussion....... How far away do you think GP is from having the players he would like to play in his preferred style. LB seems obvious. You've mentioned that he's often had a tall, strong guy up front. Anything else that we are missing. Are we short of pace for his preferred style? Does he prefer pace in passing, or pace in running. We seem short of someone who is prepared to run at players, which I'm guessing would be a requirement too?

Appreciate your thoughts based on what he's done in the past.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

We already have Matt Clarke lined up as a replacement if needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here