Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Neal Maupay half time team talk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned (apologies if fixtures).

On MOTD last night there was a post match interview with a fired-up Maupay who said (I paraphrase) "I said to the players at half time that we need to fight for everything and I....."; it sounded like was saying he gave the team talk. I'm surprised the 'Potter OUT'ers haven't been all over this like a rash.

My take is this: love it. Can you imagine a team with Stuart Pearce in it where he sat meekly at half time while the manager did all the talking with the team 1-3 down?

The players let the manager down in the first half and they knew it. If part of the half time process was little Neal giving his team mates a sort of French-style bollocking, then good. It shows they care. And the pride showed in the second half

UTA!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

On MOTD last night there was a post match interview with a fired-up Maupay who said (I paraphrase) "I said to the players at half time that we need to fight for everything and I....."; it sounded like was saying he gave the team talk. I'm surprised the 'Potter OUT'ers haven't been all over this like a rash.

My take is this: love it. Can you imagine a team with Stuart Pearce in it where he sat meekly at half time while the manager did all the talking with the team 1-3 down?

The players let the manager down in the first half and they knew it. If part of the half time process was little Neal giving his team mates a sort of French-style bollocking, then good. It shows they care. And the pride showed in the second half

UTA!

That sort of thing doesn't happen in modern football ................. does it?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
UTA!

Given that Pearce played a significant part of his career (8 years) under Brian Clough, then yes, I can certainly see him sitting there keeping it zipped.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Given that Pearce played a significant part of his career (8 years) under Brian Clough, then yes, I can certainly see him sitting there keeping it zipped.

I guess if Potter has any objections to players taking a lead (and I'm confident he doesn't) he'd need to become a lary alcoholic. :shrug:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
When questioned on Sky about the very last Wolves chance that was missed. Dunk said "Yes, I'm going in the dressing room now to bash a few heads together."

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its good when players step up, showing that braveness GP talks endlessly about wanting to see. I dont think GP was quiet - he was probably quite angry - and I dont think Maupay was the only player to raise his voice either - would surprise me if the likes of Dunk and Webster didnt say anything - but if he wants to brag a little bit extra about his contribution, Im all for it: the man clearly is happy when he is the centre of attention and allowing him to be will get the best out of him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
When questioned on Sky about the very last Wolves chance that was missed. Dunk said "Yes, I'm going in the dressing room now to bash a few heads together."

Dunk failed to snuff out the cross for their first goal as well as failing to block the cross for Wolves final chance, it might be his own head that needs bashing!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’m glad he said something, sometimes a few home truths can get that fire going.

More if it please lads.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Its good when players step up, showing that braveness GP talks endlessly about wanting to see. I dont think GP was quiet - he was probably quite angry - and I dont think Maupay was the only player to raise his voice either - would surprise me if the likes of Dunk and Webster didnt say anything - but if he wants to brag a little bit extra about his contribution, Im all for it: the man clearly is happy when he is the centre of attention and allowing him to be will get the best out of him.

Good that the players are passionate enough to stand-up.

Do you think GP has a ‘good rollicking’ in him?

You’re right about being brave etc., but the manager at times needs to get in there as well. He just seems a nice bloke.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good that the players are passionate enough to stand-up.

Do you think GP has a ‘good rollicking’ in him?

You’re right about being brave etc., but the manager at times needs to get in there as well. He just seems a nice bloke.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, several players have witnessed about him getting absolutely furious now and then. The type of guy who is usually calm and collected but the couple of times a season he gets mad, he gets really mad... and wouldnt surprise me if yesterday was one of those occasions. I dont think for a moment that any player lacks motivation at this level - everyone wants to win - but I do think it happens that players start to feel sorry for themselves or feel a bit hapless, and thats when its appropriate to smack the shit out of their brains.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I think a bit of passion/aggression/self-belief has been the missing piece of the jigsaw, and why we are that very good footballing team who consistently fail to win games. I hope the players will take that second half lesson forward and understand what they need to do.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He just seems a nice bloke.....

I’m not sure Locadia & Andone would agree after very limited chances, apparent attitude problems then subsequently moved on by the manager very quickly. Matty Ryan might also be witness to Potter’s ruthlessness as he has effectively sacked him.

Let’s see if Potter keeps Burn away from the 1st team now, he might play the the tall man in the cup but I imagine that Veltman or White will be in for him in the back 3 that faces Man City.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

UTA!

Saw that and it seemed to embody the second half performance, where we inserted more pace, more determination. We have been crying out for leaders in the team, great if Maupay is stepping up in his own way, Potter needs the help.

I’d disagree that the players let Potter down in the first half, or at least that covers over that the team were set up poorly and we got what we deserved against a good team.

If we show that pace and determination going forward then I’ll have far more confidence that we can survive a relegation battle

Jun 20, 2020
Dunk failed to snuff out the cross for their first goal as well as failing to block the cross for Wolves final chance, it might be his own head that needs bashing!

Dunk did everything right in both of those situations. Both times the defenders in the area failed to pick up or stay with their players. White was at fault in the first goal.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
I can share what Maupay said at half time-

“Putin, vous êtes des laches et des connards. Burn- nique ta mère.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Part of being a good manager is knowing how to get the best out of players. If what gets the best out of this lot is letting them gee each-other up as opposed to Potter then I think its good management. The trick is to know when it goes to far and counter productive. Yesterday he did the right thing, if thats what happened.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Dunk did everything right in both of those situations. Both times the defenders in the area failed to pick up or stay with their players. White was at fault in the first goal.

I know that there is an unwritten rule of not criticising Dunk on NSC but ‘everything right’?
Vintage Dunk blocks those crosses. Check out their first goal, Dunk turns his back on the crosser, it’s just really poor. White is equally to blame but let’s not turn a blind eye to Lewis’ shortcomings just because he is one of our own, loyal and our captain.

https://youtu.be/B2TYwd2tnqE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here