Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Caring for laminate flooring

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Happy new year all.

I was looking for some advice on laminate flooring and there's always a veritable smorgasbord of intellect on NSC so I'm hoping for some pearls of wisdom.

I'm decorating the home at the moment and I've just laid new laminate flooring throughout, getting dust up isn't an issue but I've read so many mixed reviews about cleaning/washing the floor. It's all a bit like BoJo giving a Covid speech, "wash the floor, don't wash the floor". I obviously don't want to damage the floor by getting it wet but we've tried those wet wipe mop things and they're useless.
Just looking for a simple and relatively cost effective solution. Suggestions please.
Cheers.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Does the laminate you purchased say it is water proof ?
If so did you or was it sealed correctly ?
If so follow recommended guidelines you can probably find on line or in a pack or on the box.

If it does not say it is suitable for wet areas, do NOT mop it ever, water will always find its way between the joints, under the very thin veneer surface laminate is basically compressed cardboard, it will warp and blister.

If you do have a stain or spillage, damp non abrasive sponge fairy liquid and wipe it up.
Hoover and sweep only.

I hate laminate sorry, if you come to our showroom and asked about laminate I would try and move you onto vinyl or LVT
I know you won’t like this comment but I wouldn’t put laminate in a dog kennel.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If you have bought a laminate flooring that ain’t waterproof, you are either silly or a tight *******.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh thank god I thought this was going to be a Channel 4 daytime advert:-

"(earnest voice) This is Nigel
Nigel is a laminate floor in Sussex who has been mistreated.
Just £5 a week will put the shine back in Nigel's life.
We will send you regular updates on Nigel's progress.

Please think of laminate floors this holiday season".

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Rip it up again, and lay a proper solid wood floor. :thumbsup:

5 minute job.

I def wouldn’t use laminate nowdays , because the cost of a decent engineered wooden floor has come down considerably . The problem with 100% solid wooden floors is they Mark very easily and require a lot of maintenance. A decent engineered wooden floor gives you the same look without as much maintenance.

Laminate is very 1990’s and outdated .

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
If you have bought a laminate flooring that ain’t waterproof, you are either silly or a tight *******.

Looking at moving so wasn't going to spend a fortune for someone else to enjoy.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
If so follow recommended guidelines you can probably find on line or in a pack or on the box.

If it does not say it is suitable for wet areas, do NOT mop it ever, water will always find its way between the joints, under the very thin veneer surface laminate is basically compressed cardboard, it will warp and blister.

If you do have a stain or spillage, damp non abrasive sponge fairy liquid and wipe it up.
Hoover and sweep only.

I hate laminate sorry, if you come to our showroom and asked about laminate I would try and move you onto vinyl or LVT

I can't find anywhere in the specs to say it's waterproof so I'd assume it isn't. As commented in another reply, I'm looking at moving so didn't spend a fortune on the floor, it's mainly just to make the place look better than the 15yr old carpets I ripped up.
I get laminate is a cheap option and not for everyone but having to literally gut an entire property to redecorate meant I had a budget to stick to, if I was planning on staying here the budget would've allowed for better flooring.
I figured that using a mop was a no no due to the fact it could warp the floor. Thanks for the advice.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Happy new year all.

I was looking for some advice on laminate flooring and there's always a veritable smorgasbord of intellect on NSC so I'm hoping for some pearls of wisdom.

I'm decorating the home at the moment and I've just laid new laminate flooring throughout, getting dust up isn't an issue but I've read so many mixed reviews about cleaning/washing the floor. It's all a bit like BoJo giving a Covid speech, "wash the floor, don't wash the floor". I obviously don't want to damage the floor by getting it wet but we've tried those wet wipe mop things and they're useless.
Just looking for a simple and relatively cost effective solution. Suggestions please.
Cheers.

1516C68D-FFCD-4A0C-B6D1-A2CBF726AC2D.jpeg
8E5D4F22-35EA-4EC2-B9F2-113C92DB6DDA.jpeg
I use both of these, got them from B & Q, does a good job when I clean my laminate flooring in my hallway and dining room.
I have got Quick Step laminate which is waterproof/ water resistant.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Hoover and sweep only.

Discovering Karndean changed my life :blush:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Hoover and sweep only.

Is the correct answer. Just layed 80 meters of vinyl / LVT and well impressed. That’s downstairs at the Gin Tub in Hove. (Advert)

Water resistant is not the same as waterproof by the way folks.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another flooring question.

I was going to sand down and varnish up the wooden floorboards in my bedrooms.
But I'd forgotten what a ballache of a job it is.

So plan B is to just paint them.

I've found some heavy duty acrylic paint which looks like it might do the business.

Before I start any real world advise would be greatly appreciated.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Another flooring question.

I was going to sand down and varnish up the wooden floorboards in my bedrooms.
But I'd forgotten what a ballache of a job it is.

So plan B is to just paint them.

I've found some heavy duty acrylic paint which looks like it might do the business.

Before I start any real world advise would be greatly appreciated.

Any more details about the paint?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Water resistant is what they say…. Try arguing that it should be waterproof if it doesn’t say it is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here