Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Wolverhampton Wanderers *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
attachment.php
attachment.php

Albion v Wolves

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Saturday 2nd January 2021
Kick-off: 17:30 GMT
Referee: Chris Kavanagh
Assistants: Dan Cook, Sian Massey-Ellis
Fourth Official: Dean Whitestone
VAR: Peter Bankes
Additional VAR: James Mainwaring

TEAM NEWS

Full-back Tariq Lamptey is again ruled out for Brighton because of a hamstring problem.

The Seagulls will monitor the fitness of Adam Lallana, Danny Welbeck and Aaron Connolly.

Wolves remain without long-term injury absentees Raul Jimenez and Jonny, while this game is expected to come too soon for Willy Boly and Leander Dendoncker.

Marcal also missed the recent defeat at Manchester United and could be unavailable once more.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton are unbeaten in all 10 of their top-flight matches against Wolves, winning the first seven meetings and drawing the subsequent three.
    [*=left]Wolves' last victory against Brighton came in the Championship on New Year's Day in 2016, when a Connor Goldson own goal gave them the points at the Amex Stadium.
Albion

• [*=left]Brighton could set an unwanted club record of 13 home league games without a victory.
    [*=left]The Seagulls won only one of their 17 Premier League home fixtures in 2020, beating Arsenal in June (D8, L8).
    [*=left]Albion have failed to win any of their 12 Premier League matches in January (D5, L7) - the only team with a worse record in a particular month is Hull City (16 winless matches in May).
    [*=left]They have never won a Premier League game with a 5.30pm kick-off, losing their first four and drawing the subsequent five.
    [*=left]Brighton have lost their opening league match of the calendar year just once in the previous 11 seasons, with that defeat coming at home to Wolves in 2016.
Wolves

• [*=left]Wolves could concede in 10 consecutive Premier League fixtures for the first time under Nuno Espirito Santo.
    [*=left]They could also suffer four successive away defeats in the top flight, a sequence they last recorded as part of a six-match streak in 2011.
    [*=left]Wolves have lost four of their six league games since striker Raul Jimenez was injured, only beating Chelsea during that time.
    [*=left]They are winless in their opening top-flight fixture of a calendar year in eight attempts, losing seven of them, since a 3-0 home victory versus Middlesbrough in 1981.
    [*=left]Adama Traore has failed to score or assist in his past 23 Premier League appearances.

Graham Potter's Wolves Press Conference

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Thirteen games at home without a win. Never been beaten by Wolves in a top flight game. That means nothing at all to Graham and his team of record breakers. Still, I bet someone is excited.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Hey Ho, what can one say? I always want to be positive but , with our best three players on the treatment table and our depressing record and Mr P’s unpredictable team selection I am finding it hard to predict a good result.
Still, we are at home and it IS The Albion so I will be glued to my radio commentary hoping for the best but ,frankly, not expecting it.
Anyway since it is later in the day ,that won’t spoil the afternoon..... :albion2:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I can't deny I've pretty much given up on this season and expecting this to be another narrow loss.

Let's hope my total ambivalence is misplaced and we put on a season best performance to kick the year off. Not expecting it ..... 0-2

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Delete

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've got my Brighton Bingo card ready to tick off. I was actually thinking of checking it against the TV punditry but I wrote it without checking this thread and have already managed a tick by post #3.

bingo.JPG

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I've got my Brighton Bingo card ready to tick off. I was actually thinking of checking it against the TV punditry but I wrote it without checking this thread and have already managed a tick by post #3.

View attachment 131973

Think you will struggle with “tothless” unless we see some kind of breakdown on TV and it’s liiiiiiiive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
2021, fresh start for Potter can he outwit Nuno Espírito Santo with his unpredictable team selections.

Praying for a home win, come on Polymath Potter let's get this party started, 3 points please.:ascarf::rave:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I do have one concern with GP that seems to be a recurring thing recently.

We often tend to do well first half and look on top, even if we don’t score. However the number of times we have come out second half and been second best from the off is something that he can surely rectify, regardless of the quality of players we have on the pitch.

It’s happened against WBA, Saints, West Ham and Arsenal

It’s almost as if his half time team talk is “well played, more of the same lads” whilst the opposition managers seem to get their teams fired up and more committed than us in tackling and positive attacking. Potter needs to find a way to get us chomping at the bit from the off in the second half.

This being on the back foot from kick off in the second half is happening more and more often isn’t it? Or am I imagining it?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm not expecting anything from today, but I am going to stop complaining about GP after giving it some thought since the Arsenal game. Given the lack of alternatives and the fact we are only one or two players away from getting a good run together, I'm prepared to get back on the fence and stop whinging from today.

The board need to bloody back him this month though, and quickly. No excuses, we absolutely need a striker and I don't think putting all our eggs into the Andone coming good basket is wise. If we can get Tau and Moder in as well, and possibly Romero, trim the deadwood (Jahanbakhsh, Bernardo, Ryan etc), I'm very confident we will survive.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Hey Ho, what can one say? I always want to be positive but , with our best three players on the treatment table and our depressing record and Mr P’s unpredictable team selection I am finding it hard to predict a good result.
Still, we are at home and it IS The Albion so I will be glued to my radio commentary hoping for the best but ,frankly, not expecting it.
Anyway since it is later in the day ,that won’t spoil the afternoon..... :albion2:

When did Bissouma get injured?

But, yes if Lamptey, Lallana and Welbeck are all out it is a big loss.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I do have one concern with GP that seems to be a recurring thing recently.

We often tend to do well first half and look on top, even if we don’t score. However the number of times we have come out second half and been second best from the off is something that he can surely rectify, regardless of the quality of players we have on the pitch.

It’s happened against WBA, Saints, West Ham and Arsenal

It’s almost as if his half time team talk is “well played, more of the same lads” whilst the opposition managers seem to get their teams fired up and more committed than us in tackling and positive attacking. Potter needs to find a way to get us chomping at the bit from the off in the second half.

This being on the back foot from kick off in the second half is happening more and more often isn’t it? Or am I imagining it?
You have to ask, is that something that we’re doing wrong, or are opposition managers acutely aware of our inability to capitalise on our plethora of chances, they can sit and defend for the first half whilst we run around like scalded cats. In the second half they come out and play their true game whilst we run around doing the same thing with less energy and less possession.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here