Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Dr Who Crimbo " Not so Special "

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Been waiting what seems like ages to catch up with the good Doctor and for me it was a bit of a let down. It's always bad to even leave a micron of Dalek DNA lying around and so it proved yet again. Daleks rise, Daleks fall same old same old.

Nice to see Captain Jack back for this one but overall fairly tame predictable stuff made worse by the revelation that John Bishop is going to be joining the Doctor next time out. I struggle with someone who's top lip is permanently immobile due to being superglued to the top of his front teeth. It's going to have to really get good or I'm out.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Thought it was fine. Haven't been a huge fan of this era but it was a decent enough story. Quite liked the new Daleks, Captain Jack livened up things nicely and I actually think Bishop will be a good companion (although I'm not a huge fan of his) - at least he will have a bit more charisma than wet old Ryan. Definitely not a classic but a solid story.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Never watched this but now John Bishop is in I'll give it a watch.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
For me it was the best episode since Whittaker took over as the doctor. By a long way.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Those new Daleks looked terrible. It was nice to see the 'proper' Daleks turn up and wipe the pretenders out.

An OK episode, which is quite something considering the appalling standard of the show under Chibnall. Hopefully he'll be gone by the 60th anniversary in 2023.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Never watched this but now John Bishop is in I'll give it a watch.

I can imagine that you would, probably in between something with Alan Carr and another programme with Rylan presenting... :sick:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Those new Daleks looked terrible. It was nice to see the 'proper' Daleks turn up and wipe the pretenders out.

An OK episode, which is quite something considering the appalling standard of the show under Chibnall. Hopefully he'll be gone by the 60th anniversary in 2023.

I had hope that Chibnall would be good, it's not panning out. The goodwill from casting Jodie Whittaker as the first female Doctor is eroding quite quickly in my book too.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Doctor I’m a grown man watching a children’s TV programme?

???
Imagine clicking on a Dr Who thread just to write that. Let's not forget that we all enjoy watching 11 millionaires we don't know kicking a ball around a patch of grass. Best not try to work out which is more childish. We all enjoy what we enjoy.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I can imagine that you would, probably in between something with Alan Carr and another programme with Rylan presenting... :sick:

That would be the programme with Tom Allen talking about something else he doesn't know anything about.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Doctor I’m a grown man watching a children’s TV programme?

???

Really annoys me when I have to stop what I’m doing to pull people up for posting stuff like this. Especially as I'm halfway through a dot-to-dot puzzle.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I started watching the Matt Smith series again over the holiday. Stunning. And yet....I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I did first time round. On the other hand when I had my second watch of the Malcolm Tucker doctor episodes last year I liked them a lot more than first time round. I've seen each Whittacker episode only once so far. I'm OK with them. Last nights was better than previously for a couple of reasons. First she's stopped pulling that 'gormless' gurn that was her leitmotif in previous episodes. Second, there was less frantic running about in the Tardis like it's a 'find as many objects beginning with the letter S in one minute and win balloon' contest.

I am hoping for a bit more darkness in the new series. I see we seem to be taking a trip round regional accents, which is nice and inclusive. I quite like the toothy scouser, so I'll try to calm down and take it for what it is. I get tired of people who still hanker for Patrick Troughton or worzel gummage. Its a bit like football, temporarily bereft of crowd and still regenerating into a fully functional VAR-infused edition, it is still football, and if the love is gone, I'm sorry, and goodbye x.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Could do with a bit more action and less messaging and gazing into each others eyes. Was the end sequence Ditchling beacon area?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I just watched it this morning. Eh. I wonder if it would have played better if it hadn't been so long since the last episode, or if they had made this one a little longer to take the time to give us a better feel for the trio's life without the doctor to feel her absence more before she returned. I'd agree it wasn't that special, but it was fine.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I quite enjoyed it myself even if was a little lazy to have the Daleks be so stupid to ALL fly into the Tardis at the end.

Did anyone else thought that the Daleks said 's**t' as the tardis went into the void?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Been waiting what seems like ages to catch up with the good Doctor and for me it was a bit of a let down. It's always bad to even leave a micron of Dalek DNA lying around and so it proved yet again. Daleks rise, Daleks fall same old same old.

Nice to see Captain Jack back for this one but overall fairly tame predictable stuff made worse by the revelation that John Bishop is going to be joining the Doctor next time out. I struggle with someone who's top lip is permanently immobile due to being superglued to the top of his front teeth. It's going to have to really get good or I'm out.

You really do need to get some more tv channels veg. The BBC dropped Count Arthur Strong but persevere with all manor of dross. A female Doctor Who ? Deary me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here