Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Veganuary - Vegan - Vegetarian

Hi,

Are any NSC folks partaking in veganuary this month? Or are already a vegan?

I am neither a vegetarian or a vegan though in recent years my meat intake has dropped. One of the employees whom I work with is vegan & has persuaded 6 of us to participate in January’s veganuary.

Day one for my dinner it’s veggie burgers this evening.

Any tips or advice would be welcomed.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Hi,

Are any NSC pollsters partaking in veganuary this month? Or are already a vegan?

I am neither a vegetarian or a vegan though in recent years my meat intake has dropped. One of the employees whom I work with is vegan & has persuaded 6 of us to participate in January’s veganuary.

Get the vegan to choose your menu's!

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Bear pit potantial ( NSC Trumps) 8/10

Had a BLT sarnie for brunch so for that reason I'm out. Abstaining from the sauce for January is hard enough. Good food will see me through.

Lots of curry, Indian and Thai. Probably the tastiest way to survive. Good luck!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
66980580-funny-Homer-eating-meat.jpg

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Hi,

Are any NSC pollsters partaking in veganuary this month? Or are already a vegan?

I’m neither vegan nor vegetarian but being married to an Indian for the last five years we’ve always been veggie/vegan for 3/4 days a week and it’s surprisingly easy once you get going.

My biggest tip would be don’t try to replace meat with artificial protein like quorn etc as it often limits creativity. Get into researching your own recipe ideas and think about how to incorporate natural protein sources such as nuts that will add much needed texture/flavours.

Homemade felafel and humus might be a good place to start as relatively easy but bloody delicious.

I’d wager it’s tougher to do in January than the summer when there are so many other options that seem much more appealing in the warm months.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you’re going to live like a true Vegan for a month make sure you tell everyone in the first 5 minutes that you are a Vegan. Good luck [emoji106]

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Hi,

I took part last year. I'd been veggie for a couple of years so not a huge leap. Haven't switched back. (apologies for mentioning it but I was asked). I will say I don't think there has been an easier time to swich to a plant based diet. Loads of options in the major supermarkets not just health food shops. Loads of good cookbooks. Even fast food options if that's your thing. Agree with earlier post about Indian food being delicious. Still not convinced about falafel...maybe I've just not had a decent one yet.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
If you’re going to live like a true Vegan for a month make sure you tell everyone in the first 5 minutes that you are a Vegan. Good luck [emoji106]

And if you’re not vegan be sure to tell this joke so everyone knows you’re not vegan :lolol:

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I want to be a vegan.
Fair play to anyone that is one and good luck to those who try it for veganuary.
Ive been convinced that humans are actually herbivores not carnivores but I'm too set in my ways to change although I have cut down quite a bit.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Linda McCartney [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Hi,

Good for you and the best of luck to you!

Going plant based is remarkably easy once you get your head around it. Obviously fruit and vegetables are all good. Pasta and rice too. Tofu is an easy sub for meat if you don’t fancy the vegan alternatives. Best to marinade it or buy it flavoured. But if you want good vegan alternatives to eat, Linda sausages and ‘chicken’ range are bloody tasty and Chicago Town do an awesome vegan pizza.

Happy to help if needed :wave:

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I'm a meateater, but trying to cut down on meat, or if I do buy it, try and get it from local farms. It's a bit pricier but makes you appreciate it all the more, and savour it I suppose.

One Veggie option I've really enjoyed was jerk pulled jackfruit burgers. Super simple to make, wack a loaf of jerk sauce in a pan with some jack fruit and mess it around with a fork. Stick in a nice brioche bun and enjoy with some good slaw or fresh lettuce.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Been vegan for four years - key tip is to not over complicate it and not beat yourself up over mistakes. Like most things the longer you do it, the easier it gets. Happy to offer any tips for beginners or people who just want to reduce meat intake or try something new.

First couple of months was tough but love it now and couldn’t go back, certainly not to meat.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I didn’t consider veganuary, but I would have failed by 0930 this morning with a bacon and egg sandwich and a mug of tea.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here