Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sergio Romero

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Sanchez has been superb since he came in, don’t see a reason to spunk big money wages on a 34 year old Argentinian when we have a young goalkeeper who has come through our system and is performing to a very good level already.

I think we have bigger worries in our squad to be honest.

Agree. Plus Sanchez has been with us for six years - he's now got his chance, and has acquitted himself VERY well. It would be a bit of a kick in the teeth if he was relegated to the bench.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It doesn't seem logical to me to dispose of an experienced keeper that isn't quite cutting the mustard, with us seeming to want to cut our wagebill, bring in a youngster who seems to have the attitude and potential to see us through the rest of the season at least, and then spend a small fortune on a player who has barely played for years and seemed happy enough to not do so whilst at a huge club. He and us don't quite fit.
As mentioned above, swearingly, we have more important moves to make, in trimming the squad and finding a player who knows where the corner of the net is, and kicking the ball there.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Not improbable, as alledgedly we were after the Arsenal 'keeper who chose Villa over us in the last window.......right decision, as it happens !!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not improbable, as alledgedly we were after the Arsenal 'keeper who chose Villa over us in the last window.......right decision, as it happens !!

Our ‘interest’ was rumoured but I think many of us at the time thought £30m for him was a hell of a lot of money, plus Villa pay outrageous wages so we had little chance competing with that, Martinez is on 100k per week there. (So a £50m transfer all in)

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
We can’t score ****ing goals so we are being linked to a ****ing keeper when we have two perfectly competent ****ing goalkeepers!

Bloom out

We have scored 11th most in the league.
This keeper would give the confidence to our defenders which hasn’t been there for 12 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
An excellent goalkeeper:
a) Is he better than what we already have? Yes
b) Can we afford his transfer fee? Probably
c) Can we afford his wages? Possibly not
d) Would he want to come here if we can afford his wages? Possibly not
e) Is there any problem with a work permit? No
Surely worth thinking about?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Sanchez has been superb since he came in, don’t see a reason to spunk big money wages on a 34 year old Argentinian when we have a young goalkeeper who has come through our system and is performing to a very good level already.

I think we have bigger worries in our squad to be honest.

I'm happy to accept I'm in a minority but I'd say Sanchez has been decent but I'm not sure I'd pick him over any other current PL number one. He may go on to be excellent but at the moment I wouldn't say he's been overly impressive other than being better than Ryan has recently

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm happy to accept I'm in a minority but I'd say Sanchez has been decent but I'm not sure I'd pick him over any other current PL number one. He may go on to be excellent but at the moment I wouldn't say he's been overly impressive other than being better than Ryan has recently

I'm not an expert on all the keepers in the PL - but, as our stated aim is to progress gradually (top ten, but not today or tomorrow like some people took it to mean) then Sanchez being better than Ryan represents some progress. I'm fine with that - more important things to spend our budget on (if we've got one) than another GK.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not an expert on all the keepers in the PL - but, as our stated aim is to progress gradually (top ten, but not today or tomorrow like some people took it to mean) then Sanchez being better than Ryan represents some progress. I'm fine with that - more important things to spend our budget on (if we've got one) than another GK.
He's better than Ryan this season, who's been out of form. He's but been better than Ryan in previous season imho

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here