Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Adobe Flash - RIP

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I feel oddly emotional about this. I developed a bit of an obsession with web design in the late nineties / early noughties when I was just a kid really. I think I built my first web site with AOL press aged 13 in 1998 - ugly as hell as you can imagine it but boy was I proud of it at the time.

I used to really admire some of the early Flash pioneers, I used to follow the work of these guys in particular - it looks really old hat 20 years on and I think it’s fair to say that ultimately there was a victory for function over form but at the time it made me feel like I was living in the future:

I had a tough time in my very late teens, brushing with homelessness for a short period (my 2003 Christmas present from my sister, the only person who knew at the time, was a box of bog roll and tinned food - very 2020 actually), however it was ultimately the skills I taught myself as a kid that got me out of that mess.

My career has taken a different path since then, but I owe a lot to my interest in the web’s formative years and Flash in particular. You don’t always need a degree or a fancy education; sometimes it’s just about having a passion for something, doing what you enjoy and seeing where that path leads you.

Sorry for taking things a little off topic there. Blame it on my slightly hungover and emotional state this morning!

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
When used properly it was awesome, I loved the good old days of FlashDen.....

RIP

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
What does it mean in reality for most of us? I'm never sure what programs things open up in - what will it affect, and do we have to do anything or will something automatically pop up in it's place?

boik

Good riddance. Caused so many issues and used by too many lazy programmers to avoid a few lines of code which would have be more efficient.

There was a case for it in the early days, but ended up being a millstone.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
What does it mean in reality for most of us? I'm never sure what programs things open up in - what will it affect, and do we have to do anything or will something automatically pop up in it's place?

Very little, I would imagine. In reality, it’s been obsolete for many years but only now is that becoming official. The late Steve Jobs effectively signed its death warrant by choosing not to support it on iPhones and iPads, which gives you some idea of how long ago that was.

You won’t notice any difference.

D

Deleted member 2719

Very little, I would imagine. In reality, it’s been obsolete for many years but only now is that becoming official. The late Steve Jobs effectively signed its death warrant by choosing not to support it on iPhones and iPads, which gives you some idea of how long ago that was.

You won’t notice any difference.

So will software companies have to adapt somehow? Is it a real disaster?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
24. No age.

D

Deleted member 2719

Its been depracated for years, replaced by html5, there seems to be a lot of bookmakers that use flash stuff still though oddly, but other than that you dont see it much

Basically, no. Other technologies, in particular HTML 5 have been in use as better alternatives for many years.

Being an old boy who has never been in this industry, but started recently, was HTML5 built because Adobe Flash was limited?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Being an old boy who has never been in this industry, but started recently, was HTML5 built because Adobe Flash was limited?

My guess is as time went on a w3c standard for animation and interactive content was needed and evolved not an embeded proprietary layer for content, flash was a brilliant web plug in though I think. Actionscript its language seems quite immature in todays world regarding security etc. I think by todays standards as well flash is considered quite a heavy load for web content

These are my observations and guesses tbh, Im not a web dev or anything

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

main problems with Flash is its grossly inefficient, poor security model and allowed designers to overstretch their tech ability.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
My guess is as time went on a w3c standard for animation and interactive content was needed and evolved not an embeded proprietary layer for content, flash was a brilliant web plug in though I think. Actionscript its language seems quite immature in todays world regarding security etc. I think by todays standards as well flash is considered quite a heavy load for web content

These are my observations and guesses tbh, Im not a web dev or anything

Yep, that’s about right. The two technologies aren’t really interrelated - HTML 5 is simply the progression of the technology behind the web’s early beginnings and enables developers to do far more than its predecessors.

Flash was simply a technology of its time, potentially quite creative but often overused and abused. HTML 5 (and other technologies) have helped fill the void left by its more useful applications, but it doesn’t exist as a direct result of the deprecation of Flash

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here