Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Max Watters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Of course l know that we can do both, and of course l'm not advocating closing the academy! The problem is that we so rarely seem to sign a player of any true pedigree, someone who is ready to be thrown into first team action immediately, and our Premier League future is in doubt.

Because we are a bottom 5/6 team. So if you are truely PL ready with pedigree, you can probably go to a team higher in the league and earn more money

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Okay, this is silly.

This lad was released by Doncaster Rovers in the summer. He joined Crawley Town on a single season contract.

He terrorised the defence of Barrow for a hat-trick. He also thumped two past Mansfield Town and Morecombe.

Maybe Albion could sign him and loan him out as an investment player. But beyond that, nothing's happening here.

The papers, of course, are making up their usual fairy tales once they look at the EFL leading scorers.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Okay, this is silly.

This lad was released by Doncaster Rovers in the summer. He joined Crawley Town on a single season contract.

He terrorised the defence of Barrow for a hat-trick. He also thumped two past Mansfield Town and Morecombe.

Maybe Albion could sign him and loan him out as an investment player. But beyond that, nothing's happening here.

The papers, of course, are making up their usual fairy tales once they look at the EFL leading scorers.

yep player has a little purple patch and all of a sudden he's Marco Van Basten. It wasn't long ago that many on here were getting excited about Kenneth Zahore, me included. :shrug::wozza:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
yep player has a little purple patch and all of a sudden he's Marco Van Basten. It wasn't long ago that many on here were getting excited about Kenneth Zahore, me included. :shrug::wozza:

Well from the little that l can ascertain, Kenneth Zahore would be a massive improvement on this lad, certainly in terms of being first team ready.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Such a shame we didn’t just sign him in the summer, probably well out of the budget range now with Arsenal, West Ham and Everton sniffing around.

I wouldn't imagine so, financially ligue 1 clubs are in the **** due to the TV deal collapsing over there. I would imagine it would be whoever gets in first, hopefully our negotiations with him over the summer would have made a little headway

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Unfortunately his recent exploits at Crawley look likely to be a statistical outlier. Looking at his prior goal scoring record he is not good enough.

Vardy by contrast was always scoring ridiculous numbers at every level he played at.

He wasn't that hot in the Championship, (4 goals in his first season, 16 in his second) not even as productive as Maupay in his first year in the Prem either.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
He wasn't that hot in the Championship, (4 goals in his first season, 16 in his second) not even as productive as Maupay in his first year in the Prem either.

Very true, his Wikipedia page says this about his first season at Leicester,

Vardy's first season at the club was marred by his own loss of form, prompting criticism from some City supporters on social media, and he even considered leaving football until manager Nigel Pearson and assistant manager Craig Shakespeare convinced him to continue with the club.

A real sliding doors moment.

Just goes to show what damage keyboard warriors might do.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Okay, this is silly.

It might be silly, and hoping he might be the immediate solution to our goal scoring problem is overly optimistic, but I remember watching Bobby Zamora in the equivalent of League 2 and being confident he would become a Premier League striker one day. Clearly West Ham didn't think so when he was a youth team player with them, and they let him go.

Doncaster loaned this lad out four or five times, so he wasn't settled, I have no idea if he is good enough or not, but his goals warrant the scouts taking a look, and if the feedback is good, why not sign him up?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It might be silly, and hoping he might be the immediate solution to our goal scoring problem is overly optimistic, but I remember watching Bobby Zamora in the equivalent of League 2 and being confident he would become a Premier League striker one day. Clearly West Ham didn't think so when he was a youth team player with them, and they let him go.

Doncaster loaned this lad out four or five times, so he wasn't settled, I have no idea if he is good enough or not, but his goals warrant the scouts taking a look, and if the feedback is good, why not sign him up?

If the club feel they make a ROI, then yes. Albion seem to be property investors as much as a football club these days.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Vardy's first season at the club was marred by his own loss of form, prompting criticism from some City supporters on social media, and he even considered leaving football until manager Nigel Pearson and assistant manager Craig Shakespeare convinced him to continue with the club.

Glen Murray for us I guess, got a lot of abuse for being lazy and wanted away back up north early in his first spell for us, and a lot would have been happy for him to go.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If the club feel they make a ROI, then yes. Albion seem to be property investors as much as a football club these days.

Given that is most of Tony Blooms wealth ... perhaps not unsurprising

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

You have to be kidding. You give way way way too much credit to keyboard warriors. Weak-minded snowflake players, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Oh, and scraping the bottom of the bargain basket is a no no

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No offense, but please elaborate on 'etc' if you can. You've named 2 (albeit superb) goal scorers in the last thirty five (35) years ... and we turned one of them down. I can't think of any other forwards who made such a leap (and Vardy was pretty rubbish in his first season in the championship)

I know Alzate came from the Orient/ Colombia/wherever

...oh just checked we're not talking about him being a saviour ..... I'll shut up and stop drinking

That said I still get excited whenever we sign anyone.

:albion2::albion2:

Peter Ward, Stuart Pearce, etc.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When I read the thread title a little too quickly I wondered whether someone had been caught on camera abusing a candle.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You have to be kidding. You give way way way too much credit to keyboard warriors. Weak-minded snowflake players, yes.

So Vardy struggles, asks to be loaned back to Fleetwood, and you, if you were a Leicest supporter would still feel justified to call him a snowflake, even after seeing how some support and encouragement turned him into a record breaking striker in an EPL winning side that you supposedly support?

You really can be a tit sometimes :shrug:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
So Vardy struggles, asks to be loaned back to Fleetwood, and you, if you were a Leicest supporter would still feel justified to call him a snowflake, even after seeing how some support and encouragement turned him into a record breaking striker in an EPL winning side that you supposedly support?

You really can be a tit sometimes :shrug:

I think you are misunderstanding. You are assuming that players can’t take criticism. You are wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here