Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Little Help Please: What Time Should A 5 Or 6 Year Old Kid Go To Bed At?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Should I be concerned? Should I ALERT somebody?

OK, hands on the table, my upstairs neighbour is on the face of it a fairly harmless fvrk-up. Regularly floods my flat from with idiotic water seepage from above. Oh, and the canute runs a 3D printer 24/7 in an old Victorian house where it's silent to him but sounds like fairly loud 24/7 drum'n'bass shite to me downstairs.

Fair enough, I can live with that. Certainly an improvement on the previous **** who is currently up on an attempted murder charge of a RSCH employee.

But enough of all that. My question is: is it reasonable, or even sane, to keep a five/six year old up til 1am on a regular basis? Last night he was reading (in a booming oblivious to anything else voice) the little 'un a bedtime story at 1.30 in her bedroom which is directly above my bedroom.

As a many moons ago divorced dad of little kids, I sort of feel his pain up to a point. But keeping his little un up to 1.30am to read her a bedtime story? Don't sit quite right with me. Any advice appreciated. Ta.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just mind your business or alternatively become a Social Worker

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
At the risk of not minding my own business - cos that always works out so well for everyone - what time would you consider reasonable for a tiny little kid to be settled down to go to bed?

I would assume quite late given some of the posts on her later in the night.

Seriously though, what gives you the right to want to lecture someone on what time they put their kid to bed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I would assume quite late given some of the posts on her later in the night.

Seriously though, what gives you the right to want to lecture someone on what time they put their kid to bed.

We're talking about a FIVE/SIX year old kid here. And that's the best that you (as a parent) can contibute. Jeez! Always thought you were WAY better than that :rolleyes:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
There could be many reasons why the child isn't able to sleep or doesn't have a good sleeping pattern. I've got a 7 year old with autism and he has to take melatonin or he'd be up until he dropped. Even then he still wakes up very early and can go like this for weeks before it all catches up with him and I'll find him asleep on the sofa one day 10 mins after getting in from school. The recommended amount of sleep for a 6 year old is between 9 and 11 hours (I'm lucky if my 7 year old gets 8 hours) but without knowing the full picture it's impossible to say what time any particular child should be going to sleep.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I have no idea. Tho have serious doubts that putting a five or six year old kid to bed at 1am is ever any much of a good idea, whether it's schoolnight or whether it's not :shrug:
I think the main thing about sleep is that you have to hjave enough of it. What time it happens isn't so important.

What's more important is whether the child is healthy and happy. Which is why the school's opinion is important, if you really want to get involved. Bear in mind that if the child is happy and healthy, getting social services involved will almost certainly make things worse for her. Being brought up eccentrically is far from the worst thing in the world.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We're talking about a FIVE/SIX year old kid here. And that's the best that you (as a parent) can contibute. Jeez! Always thought you were WAY better than that :rolleyes:

Quite a difference being a parent of your own kids as opposed to wanting to butt in and lecture someone else on how to deal with their own kid.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You REALLY just don't get it, do you? :facepalm:

I get it totally, who are you to judge how other parents deal with their children ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Where does he say he wants to butt in or lecture anyone?

Alright but he wants to report them, who is he to judge how other parents look after their children

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I dunno but surely the number of hours of sleep are more important than when those hours happen?

For sure. Unless maybe you're a tiny little kid that is expected to stay up til 1am by a part-time parent and is then shouted at to get up about 6 hours later so as to be frog-marched out the house to go to school or nursery or child-minder or whatever

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Alright but he wants to report them, who is he to judge how other parents look after their children

If I thought a child was being abused (mentally, physically, neglect etc) I would interfere without hesitation.

You don't know the circumstances and THPP has asked a question, to which there have been some sensible replies. You seem to want to pick a fight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here