Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Vaccine and Footballers

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So with the Oxford vaccine now approved which is easier to use and we have a larger supply, should footballers be bumped up the queue to take it?

Let’s assume we are going to be in some sort of heavy lockdown till March, Does football perform a public service in carrying on whilst everything else is shut?

I’m not suggesting they should be above the most at risk/NHS front line staff etc - but somewhere just below.

Could the club doctors administer it?

Last edited:

SAC

May 21, 2014
I think all over 70s, the vunerable and key workers will need to be vaccinated before footballers. It could happen some time in February.

SAC

May 21, 2014
And yes any doctor should be able to give a simple injection although most feel they are too important and would leave it to a nurse.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
So with the Oxford vaccine now approved which is easier to use and we have a larger supply, should footballers be bumped up the queue to take it?

Let’s assume we are going to be in some sort of heavy lockdown till March, Does football perform a public service in carrying on whilst everything else is shut?

I’m not suggesting they should be above the most at risk/NHS front line staff - but somewhere just below.

Could the club doctors administer it?

Not a chance.
If the clubs want their players to have it that badly, then they should pay for it!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No it would be monstrous to let them jump the queue ahead of those more at risk.

All 10 priority groups need to be vaccinated before any non-medical-priority under 50's ( 50 is the Government cut off for priority categories).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think all over 70s, the vunerable and key workers will need to be vaccinated before footballers. It could happen some time in February.

Yeah, so bumped up the queue to Just after that group.

Not a chance.
If the clubs want their players to have it that badly, then they should pay for it!

I’m sure they would be more than happy to do that

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No, would be a scandal if that happened.
A better case can be made for;

Teachers, public service workers, shop workers, hairdressers, hospitality workers etc etc

Footballers are no more deserving than Sky dish installers

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Not everyone can have it simultaneously so yeah decisions who's first need to be made. I haven't told some friends my parents have had their first jab (both over 80) as they have their own vulnerable parents (under 80 but with more illness) or are vulnerable themselves due to co morbidities. I felt they might be angry about it a bit, why are they ahead of me? Likewise, some will be angry if footballers are given it ahead of others but I think there's a case for it IF they don't stop the football like other sports/arts/leisure. Stop it or vaccinate them (perhaps).

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No, would be a scandal if that happened.
A better case can be made for;

Teachers, public service workers, shop workers, hairdressers, hospitality workers etc etc

Footballers are no more deserving than Sky dish installers

Well the players will have to join the queue with other less mortal types and wait.
So as the key workers etc get it first....

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
I understand your point of view but I think probably not a good idea. I think it gets quite dangerous when you start a scale of occupations to get priority treatment. I think the simpler criteria the better. There would be an outcry about highly paid footballers jumping the queue etc.

As to club doctors administering the vaccine - should be easy enough as long as they had access to the NHS systems to record it. In fact it would be good idea to get club medical staff involved in helping the national vaccination programme

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not a chance.

The lag in vaccination appointments is driven by constrained supplies. Nobody will be given the option of paying to jump the queue although it wouldn’t be a surprise if the PL have thought about this idea. In their heads everything is for sale at the right price.
As to whether club doctors could administer, the answer is yes. Pharmacists in Boots can administer vaccines so no reason why a doctor couldn’t do the same but they should be vaccinating the general population not their employees.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It's not just about the footballers on the pitch themselves though is it - it's the moving around the country of a pretty largish group of club employees, with the potential spread of covid.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
All key workers should be first and foremost ... and I include teachers, food retail workers, food network logistics and drivers, water industry employees, power industry employees and obviously NHS workers... without clean drinking water and power society would be looking at way more deaths than we could comprehend... private firms don’t have big teams a few isolations here and there could knock out water supply within hours for a period of weeks. Indeed I’d be prioritising these groups above the older people who should be isolating now (virtually everywhere) anyway. I’d also vaccinate super spreaders as a priority - kids.

Footballers and football... not even second fiddle.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

It would be later than February. I'm over 70 with my vaccination date set for 4th Feb-3rd March. Then comes the vulnerable asthmatics etc

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here